Ephesus

Fiancé visiting and vice-versa

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

I just read that at POE they can deny you entry because you filed the I-129f. Is that true? She's coming for two weeks, well within the 3 months allowed without a visa. And I am going there for two months.

Is this going to be a problem?

I just read that at POE they can deny you entry because you filed the I-129f. Is that true? She's coming for two weeks, well within the 3 months allowed without a visa. And I am going there for two months.

Please take a look at two previous threads(posted just w/in the last few hours....and I'm sure there are many more on VJ) that have responses addressing your question, visiting your fiancee while K-1 is in process.

-P

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Timeline

Please take a look at two previous threads(posted just w/in the last few hours....and I'm sure there are many more on VJ) that have responses addressing your question, visiting your fiancee while K-1 is in process.

-P

I've read them: one doesn't apply to me and one goes against everything else I have heard.

Your fiance must bring proof that she intends on going back to her country. A letter from her employer stating when she will be back to work, a copy of her lease agreement, utility bills, etc. would really support this. Also, bringing a copy of the I-129F wouldn't be a bad idea just in case too.

K1 Journey:

April 13/06 NOA1 from NSC

June 1/06 - Moved to CSC

August 12/06 APPROVED - NOA2!!

August 28/06 Left NVC. . . Vancouver Bound!

September 27/06 Interview APPROVED, with visa in hand

October 29/06 Moving Date

December 30/06 Married!!

AOS Journey:

January 16/07 Sent out AOS, EAD, and AP docs

January 23/07 NOA1's for AOS, EAD and AP

February 13/07 Biometrics in Portland, OR

April 7/07 EAD and AP Received

April 24/07 Interview Scheduled . . . and APPROVED, stamp and all!

May 7/07 Greencard is in my hands!

ROC Journey:

February 17/09 Sent I-751 to CSC

February 18/09 NOA1

March 14/09 Biometrics appt.

April 22/09 Date of Approval!!

June 25/09 Greencard arrives in the mail!

*Everything I post is just my .02 cents, seek a lawyer for anything beyond that.*

Timeline
Your fiance must bring proof that she intends on going back to her country. A letter from her employer stating when she will be back to work, a copy of her lease agreement, utility bills, etc. would really support this. Also, bringing a copy of the I-129F wouldn't be a bad idea just in case too.

She doesn't work - would supplying a registrar receipt and a heating bill be sufficient?

Oh, and why do you need to bring a copy of the I-129f? And will I have any problems going to France?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

You shouldn't have a problem visiting her - whatever is going on with our immigration laws regarding your fiance doesn't matter to the french government.

As for her coming here - per the previous reply - have her bring proof of ties to her home country. She should answer all questions confidently yet respectfully - as well as fully and honestly - but she needn't volunteer the ENTIRE story of the visa process. She comes in, they ask who she is visiting, she says fiance, they either say fine or ask some questions, either way, so long as she doesn't get immediately shifty or set off alarms with her behavior, she should be fine. don't have her slap down a pile of documents either. she should have them with her in case she is asked, but frequently, we hear stories where people have no problems at all.

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-22-07 DHS cashes the I-129F check

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

1-26-07 NOA1 arrives in the post

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-3-07 NOA2!!! Two approval emails received at 11:36am

5-10-07 Arrived at NVC/5-14-07 Left NVC - London-bound!

5-17-07??? London receives?

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-26-07 Packet 3 received

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-06-07 Medical in London (called to schedule on May 29)

6-11-07 "Medical in file" at Embassy

6-14-07 Resent packet 3 to Embassy after hearing nothing about first try

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-25-07 DOS says interview date is August 21

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

7-06-07 Interview at 9:00 am at the London Embassy - Approved.

7-16-07 Visa delivered after 'security checks' completed

I-129F approved in 111 days; Interview 174 days from filing

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

*Be afraid or be informed - the choice is yours.*

It should not be a problem. I'm from Belgium and came to visit my fiance twice while we waiting for our NOA2. They wanted to know the reason for my visiting the US and I said : visiting my fiance. And it was fine. The last time I even stayed for 10 weeks and that was not a problem either. (F)

While the recent posts may not apply specifically to your situation, this question is asked almost daily, and so many different responses to different threads on this specific topic are available by using the search button.

Without elaborating...you fiance will not be denied just because you've started the K-1 Visa process. What is important, is that WHENEVER they wish to visit, BEFORE being issued a visa, that they have sufficient proof of ties to their home country. Rent receipts, a letter from their employer saying when they're returning to work, mortgage papers...just to mention a few.

There is no "pat" answer to give you. Entry into the US is dependant on the Border officer upon arrival. Some people wish NOT to jepardize being denied, and immediately having to return to their home country. This doesn't impact on the K-1 Visa process already in place, but certainly it will impact you financially!

If you don't want to take a "chance", or "risk", just visit your fiance in their country.

Carla (F)

carlahmsb4.gif

-P

I've read them: one doesn't apply to me and one goes against everything else I have heard.

Where did you just read that POE can deny entry, beacause an I-129F is in progress? There is no clear cut rule(as far as I know) that says that your SO cannot come visit you while your petition is in progress. Being able to enter on a tourist visa, or the Visa Waiver Program (whichever applies to your case) is a situation determined on a case-by-case basis....meaning at the POE by the person who looks at the passport at the time. When you enter the US as a non-immigrant (tourist) you have to prove that you have NO intention of staying, and will return after a period of time (two weeks, or 3 months....doesn't matter). Theoretically, if a US citizen has filed a petition for you to emigrate to this country, it is kind of hard to prove that you will return to your home country, because the petition states otherwise....so the "burden of proof" so to speak is greater on the person coming in for a visit.

But again, that is theory.....as to what happens in practice, it is something that cannot be predicted, or speculated about.

-P

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Must be nice that there is even a chance that your SO can come here first.

Jim and Nhi

10-2-2008 Interview in Vietnam

9-1-2008 abandoned K3

7-11-08 Home from Vietnam

7-04-2008 Cleared NVC

6-26-08 NOA2 for I-129F and I-130

6-25-08 Congressional Expediting Approved

6-23-08 Return to Vietnam for visit

4-30-08 NOA1 I-130

4-17-08 NOA1 I-129F

4-10-08 I-129F mailed

3-26-08 Married in Vietnam

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Good advice here so far. Most important is TELL them the TRUTH!

They can tell when you are not being truthful and it will show in your answers. If you tell them you are here to visit you Finace and have to go back to your country to wait for the Visa they should allow you to enter the US. Of course it is at the total discretion of the POE officer.

Rob and Melinda

I-129F

Filed New I-129F form with IMBRA June 19, 2006

NOA 1 June 26, 2006

Touched July 3, 2006

I-129F Approved by E mail August 21, 2006, Just 63 Days

NOA 2 for I-129F Received in the Mail August 26th, 2006

I-129F at NVC

Case Number assigned at NVC August 29, 2006 MNL2006XXXXXXXXX

NVC sends the I-129F to the Manila Embassy August 29th, 2006

Embassy in Manila Receives I-129F August 31st, 2006

Packet 4 Received by Melinda from Manila Embassy October 1, 2006

Interview at Us Embassy Manila, October 18, 2006

Visa Approved! Interview Completed.

Visa Delivered by DELBROS October 28th, 2006

October 30, 2006 Arrived back in LAX with Melinda, were going to Disneyland!!!

November 6th, 2006, Melinda and I are back home in Winslow Arizona loving Life!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

This question gets asked like four times a day. Good lord.

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I don't think there's a consensus here about whether or not there's a grand master computer system that flashes K1!!! when a fiance in process tries to enter.

The safest advice is always to answer the questions that are asked.

When they say why are you here - she says to visit fiance.

If they ask if a visa application is in progress, she says yes.

Chances are, they won't even get as far as that question and she has no duty to broach the topic unless asked about it.

Answer questions asked truthfully. Carry back up evidence of ties to home. Done and dusted, 9x out of 10.

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-22-07 DHS cashes the I-129F check

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

1-26-07 NOA1 arrives in the post

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-3-07 NOA2!!! Two approval emails received at 11:36am

5-10-07 Arrived at NVC/5-14-07 Left NVC - London-bound!

5-17-07??? London receives?

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-26-07 Packet 3 received

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-06-07 Medical in London (called to schedule on May 29)

6-11-07 "Medical in file" at Embassy

6-14-07 Resent packet 3 to Embassy after hearing nothing about first try

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-25-07 DOS says interview date is August 21

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

7-06-07 Interview at 9:00 am at the London Embassy - Approved.

7-16-07 Visa delivered after 'security checks' completed

I-129F approved in 111 days; Interview 174 days from filing

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

*Be afraid or be informed - the choice is yours.*

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
I don't think there's a consensus here about whether or not there's a grand master computer system that flashes K1!!! when a fiance in process tries to enter.

The safest advice is always to answer the questions that are asked.

Answer questions asked truthfully. Carry back up evidence of ties to home. Done and dusted, 9x out of 10.

:yes: Totally agree. I would just add: Do not answer questions that are NOT asked :no:

May 1996: Met in Mexico
K1
March 7th, 2006: Sent 129F to NSC
March 9th, 2006: NOA1 Day 1
June 15th, 2006: Notice of transfer to CSC
October 3rd, 2006: IMBRA RFE e-mail
October 17th, 2006 CSC e-mail confirming RFE receipt.
October 18th, 2006: NOA2!!!!!!!! 224 days!
October 25th, 2006: NVC received file
November 10th, 2006: Received Packet from CDJ
January 5th, 2007: Visa approved!!!! 302 days!
February 16th, 2007: Civil Ceremony
AOS
February 21st, 2007: Mailed AOS, EAD & AP to Chicago
March 1st, 2007: NOA1 - Day 1
March 26th, 2007: I-485 transferred to CSC - Day 25
March 30th, 2007: Biometrics appointment - Day 29
April 14th, 2007: Big Wedding!!!!
May 8th, 2007: AP Approved - Day 68
May 10th, 2007: EAD Approved- Day 70
September 20th, 2007: SECOND Biometrics appointment - Day 203
December 4th, 2007: AOS approved!!!! 278 days!
December 10th, 2007: Received GC - Day 284
Removal of Conditions
August 31st, 2009: Mailed I-751 to CSC
September 2nd, 2009: NOA1 - Day 1
October 15th, 2009: Biometrics appointment - Day 44
October 26th, 2009: 10 year GC approved!! - Day 55
October 31st, 2009: Received GC - Day 60

NATURALIZATION

May 7th, 2013: Mailed N-400

May 9th, 2013: NOA1 - Day 1

June 10th, 2013: Biometrics Appointment - Day 33

September 5th, 2013: Interview - Day

September 27th, 2013: Oath Ceremony- Day

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.