mnashville

AOS and travel after 90'days is up help!

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

Sorry if this is in the wrong place I wasn't sure where to write this.

My fiancé and I got married in June he entered the United States on April 23.

We got married within the time frame. We haven't filled though for his AOS yet and the 90 days will be up. I know we have the 90 days to get married and we have but, because we haven't filed yet will trying to get advance parol to travel with his AOS present a problem. He has been told that because he is married and no longer is legal in terms of having some sort of visa when we go to travel and once everything goes through (we know we can't travel till we file and receive all proper documents) he will be banned for how ever long. We know there is no time limit to file for AOS but in terms of traveling after it is filed what happens.

Has this happened to anyone before and filed after a long period of time and was still able to travel after. We are hoping we aren't alone and some advice.

Thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

who told him that? that person doesn't have a clue

if he leaves or travels without the advance parole, he won't be able to return, and all the wait and cost for the k1 will be in vain, you will have to start all over, filing the CR1 visa with the i130, meaning you will now have to file a spousal petition and your husband will have the interview in his country after a year of waiting, since the process takes a year

so it's not worth travelling until you file the AOS and he gets the advance parole travel document to travel. it doesn't matter how long it takes

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: South Africa
Timeline

I also entered in April and got married in June. We sent my AOS package out last week, but it got delayed at the chicago post office for some unknown reason and still has not reached USCIS. I am hoping it reaches there before the 24th (When my K1 expires) Is there a deadline to send the AOS?

I have read that you need Advance Parole to travel yu can apply for that along with the AOS

Sorry if this is in the wrong place I wasn't sure where to write this.

My fiancé and I got married in June he entered the United States on April 23.
We got married within the time frame. We haven't filled though for his AOS yet and the 90 days will be up. I know we have the 90 days to get married and we have but, because we haven't filed yet will trying to get advance parol to travel with his AOS present a problem. He has been told that because he is married and no longer is legal in terms of having some sort of visa when we go to travel and once everything goes through (we know we can't travel till we file and receive all proper documents) he will be banned for how ever long. We know there is no time limit to file for AOS but in terms of traveling after it is filed what happens.

Has this happened to anyone before and filed after a long period of time and was still able to travel after. We are hoping we aren't alone and some advice.

Thank you!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

hi

who told him that? that person doesn't have a clue

if he leaves or travels without the advance parole, he won't be able to return, and all the wait and cost for the k1 will be in vain, you will have to start all over, filing the CR1 visa with the i130, meaning you will now have to file a spousal petition and your husband will have the interview in his country after a year of waiting, since the process takes a year

so it's not worth travelling until you file the AOS and he gets the advance parole travel document to travel. it doesn't matter how long it takes

Ya we we aren't planning to travel till we file his AOS I can't lose him! We know that part but we were wondering after we file for the AOS and the advance parole to travel will it be fine since it will be out of the timing he arrived and the date on his visa.

Ya we we aren't planning to travel till we file his AOS I can't lose him! We know that part but we were wondering after we file for the AOS and the advance parole to travel will it be fine since it will be out of the timing he arrived and the date on his visa.

Just for clarification he will be free to travel after you file for AOS, AP, and EAD (strongly suggested) AND he has either the GC or AP in hand. So try not to make any travel plans until her receives the documents.

AP takes from 60 - 90 days.

Green Card can take 6 - 9 months.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Bermuda
Timeline

I also entered in April and got married in June. We sent my AOS package out last week, but it got delayed at the chicago post office for some unknown reason and still has not reached USCIS. I am hoping it reaches there before the 24th (When my K1 expires) Is there a deadline to send the AOS?

I have read that you need Advance Parole to travel yu can apply for that along with the AOS

For clarification - your K1 was invalidated at your POE. It is a one-time entry visa. If you haven't filed for AOS, you will be out of status upon the expiration of your I-94 until you file for AOS. You can file the documents for EAD and AP with your AOS, at no additional cost. Upon receipt of either your AP or Green Card, you can travel outside of the US. If you do so before receiving either of those cards, you will not be allowed re-entry to the US.

Edited by tamcloud

K-1...

08/09/2015: I-129F mailed
08/14/2015: NOA1 received by email; hardcopy received approximately 08/17/2015
09/14/2015: NOA2 received
09/30/2015: NVC received case
10/02/2015: CEAC status changed to "In Transit"
10/08/2015: CEAC status changed to "Ready"
10/09/2015: Consulate acknowledged receipt via phone; Hardcopy from US DoS with case number.
10/19/2015: Received information from Consulate.
10/28/2015: Medical Exam
11/17/2015: Interview...rescheduled due to computer problems. New date as yet unknown.
11/18/2015: Called in for interview and APPROVED!

11/24/2015: Picked up visa/passport and sealed packet from the Consulate! <happy dance>

02/14/2016: Arrived in the U.S. (POE was Bermuda)...CO was really nice!

02/18/2016: Married! :)

AOS...

03/02/2016: AOS/EAD/AP Package mailed
03/14/2016: I-485/765/131 NOAs received by mail. USCIS Received Date 03/04/2016; USCIS Notice Date 03/10/2016
03/25/2016: Received biometrics appointment letter for I-485 & I-765
04/04/2016: Biometrics appointment
04/26/2016: Received notification that the I-131 was approved and the name was updated on the I-765
05/23/2016: Received notice that card was being produced for I-765.
05/28/2016: Received EAD/AP card.
06/01/2016: Received electronic notice that AOS interview has been scheduled.
06/30/2016: I-485 interview at USCIS Baltimore Field Office.
09/01/2016: InfoPass appointment made for 09/07/2016.
09/06/2016: Received electronic notification that I-485 was approved on 09/02/2016.
09/09/2016: Received approval letter.
09/14/2016: Green Card delivered! :)

ROC...

06/13/2018: I-751 package mailed to Vermont Service Center
06/25/2018: NOA/extension letter received, dated 06/19/2018

07/14/2018: Received ASC notice for Biometrics Appointment

07/25/18: Completed Biometrics

06/13/19: Received email notification of card production. I-751 approved!

06/19/19: 10yr card delivered!

Timeline

Thanks, but what I am really questioning, Is there a deadline to submit the AOS package including the AP and EAD? I am aware that I cannot travel or work until I receive the appropriate documents. I just want to know if the AOS needed to be sent in before the "expiry" date on my I-94. I arrived in April, Married in June and just sent in AOS package, there was a delay at the post office, my concern is that the package wont reach USCIS before my I-94 expires on 24 July.

For clarification - your K1 was invalidated at your POE. It is a one-time entry visa. If you haven't filed for AOS, you will be out of status upon the expiration of your I-94 until you file for AOS. You can file the documents for EAD and AP with your AOS, at no additional cost. Upon receipt of either your AP or Green Card, you can travel outside of the US. If you do so before receiving either of those cards, you will not be allowed re-entry to the US.

Thanks, but what I am really questioning, Is there a deadline to submit the AOS package including the AP and EAD? I am aware that I cannot travel or work until I receive the appropriate documents. I just want to know if the AOS needed to be sent in before the "expiry" date on my I-94. I arrived in April, Married in June and just sent in AOS package, there was a delay at the post office, my concern is that the package wont reach USCIS before my I-94 expires on 24 July.

We sent out AOS package on Monday 18th and it was not delivered on 19th as scheduled.

Not sure what's going on with USPS hold up

Here is my tracking number https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction?qtc_tLabels1=el347069707us

i485-i130-i765-i131 packages for spouse/child

7/18: Mailed packages to Chicago lockbox

7/19: Received by USCIS

7/26: Received 8 text/email NOAs

7/27: Checks cashed
7/30: Received 8 hard copy NOAs

8/6: Bio letter received

8/8: Bio done

9/10: Case updated that RFIE was mailed regarding i485

9/17: Received RFIE (needs a cosponsor)

9/23: Mailed back RFIE

9/27: Case update: RFIE received by USCIS and case resumed

10/3: Created SR for my EAD as it's been 75 days.

10/14: Contacted congressman office to inquiry/expedite

10/19: EAD card ordered, AP approved

11/1: EAD/AP was mailed

11/3: EAD/AP received

11/4: Applied for SSN

12/2: SSN card received

12/2: Applied and got learner license

8/14/17: Got email/txt for interview scheduled Sept 19

9/19/17: Interview

9/23/17: received approval notice and GC in the mail

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

We sent out AOS package on Monday 18th and it was not delivered on 19th as scheduled.

Here is my tracking number https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction?qtc_tLabels1=el347069707us

Most mail does not get delivered in one day. Have some patience.

Most mail does not get delivered in one day. Have some patience.

I used Express next day by 12pm guaranteed.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

There is no deadline for filling AOS... I filed 3months ago after being in US for since 2010 on a k1... There is allot of people that file a year or so later

April 8th: AOS sent

April 11th: Recieved at Chicago lockbox [Day 0]

April 25th: NOA1 date (never recieved e-notifications) [Day 14]

April 29th: NOA1 hard copy recieved in the mail [Day 18]

May 9th: "Fingerprint fee recieved" [Day 28]

May 12th: Reciept number's start working on USCIS case status website [Day 31]

May 20th: Biometrics letter recieved [Day 39]

June 1st: Biometric appointment [Day 51]

​November 12th: Interview letter received ​[Day 216]

December 1st: Interview day! APPROVED [Day 235]

December 5th: Case status changed from "fingerprint fee received" to "Approved" post dated Dec 1st [Day 239]

Received approval letter in the mail for Green card [Day 239]

December 6th: "Card was mailed to me" [Day 240]

December 8th: Green card received in mail!!! [day 242]

Timeline

I feel your frustration. Especially if you paid extra for express mail. We took the risk by just sending it certified mail on Monday 11 July it was ment to arrive Thursday 14th and its now the 20th. I made a bunch of phone calls to USPS but they all seem clueless. When I track my case it says its in Transit.. :/ I hope our packages arrive soon. Best of Luck

Timeline

Any luck with your mail today? Also do you know if USCIS will notify us once they recieve our packages?

Timeline

Any luck on your package arriving? My package finally made it there yesterday.. Now the wait begins :wacko:

Any luck on your package arriving? My package finally made it there yesterday.. Now the wait begins :wacko:

No. I got USPS to open an investigation and they call me back asking me to check back with them on Monday.

I called USCIS as well and they told me to check back after 10 business days to see if they can pull my name from the system.

I wonder if the problem is that I use USPS express mail with a required signature. Since it's a lockbox, there is nobody to sign, causing the hold up.

If they indeed arrived, there is no text/email notice or checks cashed yet.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.