Rangm021

I864 and Waiters/Waitresses

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hello everyone! I have a question regarding the Affidavit of Support!

What is the general procedure if the sponsor is a server at a restaurant? In many states, servers make less than minimum wage (2.83 in my state), with the majority of their earnings being in the form of tips.

How would a sponsor verify his earnings for the affidavit of support? At the moment, we've saved up the tip slips that the sponsor receives at the end of the day, but these only account for iOS made in the form of credit/debit cards.

Do any of you have any input as to how USCIS handles these situations?

AOS Package Sent: March 30, 2016

AOS Package Received: March 31, 2016

NOA Received by Mail: April 7, 2016

Biometrics Appointment: May 10, 2016

Biometrics Walk-In: May 9, 2016

Interview Scheduled: July 14, 2016

Timeline

Tips are supposed to be claimed as income in taxes and should be reflected on income tax documents.

I'm sorry! I should've specified! We filed taxes for 2015 already, but he got the job 3 months after filing our 2015 taxes. He got the job in April of this year, so I'm trying to figure out how to go about that.

We've already filed our AOS documents in March, but I want to provide an updated i864 with his new job for our interview in two weeks

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I was going on the same lines, however the tips are received they will show up in wage slip.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Yes the amount of tips claimed should show on pay stub. It's been a long time since I've been a waitress but I remember adding up my total tips and total food sales for the night to be sure my tips matched the tip % that needed to be claimed. That was then turned into my employer for documenting on my pay stub.

Edited by LionessDeon

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

I believe, as others have said, that you are required to report your tips received to your employer. Therefore it would show up on the paystub as the employer must withhold/pay taxes based on your wage plus tips received.

Timeline

I believe, as others have said, that you are required to report your tips received to your employer. Therefore it would show up on the paystub as the employer must withhold/pay taxes based on your wage plus tips received.

Perfect! Thanks everyone! Yes, I do remember that the tips are reported; we just haven't found any info on the pay stubs on his online portal, so he might have to ask directly at this workplace :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Should show his pay from the restaurant and then a separate line showing tips and then his taxes which are calculated on both.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.