ericshoot

Involuntary separation under the 3 year rule?

38 posts in this topic

In this age, both people in the couple working is the norm, rather than the exception. You live 2 hours away, but probably get together on weekends and holidays, don't you? I would think this isn't a permanent situation; eventually he will move or you will, right? I know a couple of U.S. born citizen couples who have the wife working 3 hours away during the week, having an apartment in the other city, and returning to her base home on the weekends/holidays. It's not an abnormal situation at all.

Edited by Ortolan

"Wherever you go, you take yourself with you." --Neil Gaiman

Do you have to officially 'move'? My husband commutes 2-hours each way everyday into DC from North Virginia and he commutes with people who have even longer commutes (one colleague has a 4-hour commute each way.)

For health reasons because commuting is very bad on the body you could have a small crash pad near your work but your home and main residence for mail and official purposes would be the same one as your spouse.

Edited by Trellick

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

In this age, both people in the couple working is the norm, rather than the exception. You live 2 hours away, but probably get together on weekends and holidays, don't you? I would think this isn't a permanent situation; eventually he will move or you will, right? I know a couple of U.S. born citizen couples who have the wife working 3 hours away during the week, having an apartment in the other city, and returning to her base home on the weekends/holidays. It's not an abnormal situation at all.

Yes we get together over the weekends. Either he comes over to our new apartment or I go over to our old apartment. We still keep our names on both leases.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I'm about to submit my naturalization application under the three year rule. However, I just moved away a month ago from USC spouse for a new job after graduation with an MBA degree. We live in the same states about 2 hours apart.

Does anyone have experience claiming the "involuntary separation" clause in their application? What was it like?

There's a December 2015 applicant in a similar situation.

The applicant and USC spouse both live in Florida, but have been living apart (for a year I think) due to work. They visit regularly and have joint finances, etc.

The application was denied shortly after the interview. The applicant intends to reapply at the 5 year mark.

I have, however, seen similar applications approved in the past. USCIS has been more strict with marriage based applications recently.

Take a look at the December 2015 thread for details.

Edited by JimmyHou

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

i agree with this, and am, at present, eliglible for naturalization under the 3 year rule, and am in the same situation as the OP. My husband and I live 2 1/2 hours apart (and have for 2 years), and must live in our respective places, not just for our jobs, but for our careers. We knew from the beginning that we would be living apart during the week. My USC husband's address is our home base, adn where I get all my mail, but he is also on my lease in the other location. I explained all of this ina a letter attached to my ROC application, and we sailed through that without even an interview. I expect the naturalization process to be the same, although I'm still weighing the pros and cons of waiting until the 5-year mark--or even doing it at all.

Timeline

i agree with this, and am, at present, eliglible for naturalization under the 3 year rule, and am in the same situation as the OP. My husband and I live 2 1/2 hours apart (and have for 2 years), and must live in our respective places, not just for our jobs, but for our careers. We knew from the beginning that we would be living apart during the week. My USC husband's address is our home base, adn where I get all my mail, but he is also on my lease in the other location. I explained all of this ina a letter attached to my ROC application, and we sailed through that without even an interview. I expect the naturalization process to be the same, although I'm still weighing the pros and cons of waiting until the 5-year mark--or even doing it at all.

We lived together for vast majority of the 3 years since I became permenant resident. I just moved out late May and would be eligible to apply for citizenship mid July. I will try my best to present my case and hope for the best. If I don't get it, I'll just wait for another two years.

If you do decide to apply, please share your experience. I'd like to know how it goes. We may also be able to help others who are going to be in similar situations.

Timeline

Agreed! The separation is temporary so that I can get work experience to be able to find a job in his city. It is hard to show evidence that we visit each other during the weekends though. Either he or I just drive two hours and there's no plane tickets or anything to show our itinerary.

Again i have to ask why not find a place centrally located to your commutes?

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

cuz not everybody wants to drive an hour to work and live in a community that is home to neither one?

Agreed! The separation is temporary so that I can get work experience to be able to find a job in his city. It is hard to show evidence that we visit each other during the weekends though. Either he or I just drive two hours and there's no plane tickets or anything to show our itinerary.

For ROC, I sent statements from our individual bank accounts and credit cards, showing frequent purchases in each other's cities, as well as ticket stubs/receipts from events/shows/restaurants in each city showing 2 people, and evidence of trips taken to other places together.

cuz not everybody wants to drive an hour to work and live in a community that is home to neither one?

I wasn't asking you?

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

We thought about that. There's a very small town in the middle. If we were to live there, it'll take much more than 1 hour for him to get to work because he will be driving into the capital city and hit the traffic jam. Plus there will be ice and snow in the winter, which makes the daily commute unsafe.

He's also working and going to school at the same time with a very full schedule. We don't think wasting hours on the road everyday is worth it.

We thought about that. There's a very small town in the middle. If we were to live there, it'll take much more than 1 hour for him to get to work because he will be driving into the capital city and hit the traffic jam. Plus there will be ice and snow in the winter, which makes the daily commute unsafe.

He's also working and going to school at the same time with a very full schedule. We don't think wasting hours on the road everyday is worth it.

Each answer is as individual as the person who answers for this.

Thank you for answering. I wish you the best.

Timeline

Each answer is as individual as the person who answers for this.

Thank you for answering. I wish you the best.

Thank you! I'm exited for this final step of my immigration journey but at the same time I don't want to get my hopes up too high due to the circumstances.

Thank you! I'm exited for this final step of my immigration journey but at the same time I don't want to get my hopes up too high due to the circumstances.

I deciced the earliest I'll apply for citizenship is 5 years. I refuse to send any more relationship evidence to the US government. But being Canadian its not a big issue for me either.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.