Marrienne

Dyslexic Child - I didn't say anything, did I mess up?

32 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Greece
Timeline

The feeling I got so far from the Embassy is they do NOT want to give us the visa. They have been extremely STRICT when I see other Embassies (ie London) that are very "easy" compared to us.

Guys what I do? :(

There is nothing wrong with my son... dyslexia is SO common!!

Click "spoiler" below for a detailed account of our journey to a CR1 visa via DCF in Athens, Greece.

2011 - Met hubby online and became friends
Early 2013 - Confessed our love for each other * Late 2013 - I got pregnant with our daughter
2014 - Our baby was born in Athens, Greece and completed our family. We now have two boys and a girl!! 2013 - 2015 - Looking for jobs in Greece, none were available (due to socioeconomic crisis) 2015 - Decided only way to feed our family was to immigrate and started the process December 2015 - Got married (Greece has a LOT of red tape for foreigners marrying Greeks)
January 2016 - Finished gathering all documents and getting them translated
* * DCF in Athens, Greece * *

28th January 2016 - Finally filed I-130s
29th June - ISSUED!!!!!!1st July - Visa packages and passports delivered to DHL.4th July - Visas in hand! CU in two weeks USA!!
19th July- POE Detroit. All went well!! (excluding our screaming, jet lagged toddler!!)

After Arrival in the US

September 2016 - Hubby is diagnosed with congestive heart failure
October - February 2016 - Battle with drug use, overdosing, bringing home a tiny paycheck

March - July 2017 - I am working 80 hr weeks to make ends meet. Discovered hubby's affair. Still overdoses and is hospitalized. Has quit working all together.
July - October 2017 - Marriage counseling. Revealed hubby has "several" mental conditions. Is started on several mental meds.

October 2017 - Got accepted for a college course. Got better job to help raise my kids.

October 2017 - March 2018 - Situation at home is toxic. He files for divorce.

July 2018 - Divorce is final. I have full custody of our daughter.

ROC (GC expires July 19th 2018)

July 16th - Package for ROC is delivered to the CA service center (divorce waiver).

August 30th - NOA1 received with 18 month extension (fee waiver approved).

March 28th 2019 - Biometrics

August 8th 2019 - Case Approved No RFE No Interview - 10 year GC in production

N400 (Online - Detroit, MI office)
June 6th 2023 - Applied for naturalization under 5 year rule.
June 7th 2023 - Application received/Biometric will be reused.
June 16th - Interview scheduled.
July 27th - Upcoming interview.

**Our DCF journey to an IV took 5 months and 1 day from turning in the I-130 to getting "Issued"**

event.png

event.png

Get documentation that dyslexia is common and its nothing more than a learning disability that has zero health impacts.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Dyslexia is not a reason to deny the medical, so this is all strange. First of all, just wait for what they say. Might turn out to be nothing. Then, can you go back to the doctor that diagnosed dyslexia? Can you go to another doctor that can diagnose it? It sounds like the panel physician wants to cover his butt.

Have your husband tried to contact his senator? Or the senator from the district where you will be moving and where his parents live? I'd try that if it comes to it.

But, you WILL get the visa in the end. Keep reminding yourself of that.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

Then, can you go back to the doctor that diagnosed dyslexia? Can you go to another doctor that can diagnose it? It sounds like the panel physician wants to cover his butt.

Have your husband tried to contact his senator? Or the senator from the district where you will be moving and where his parents live? I'd try that if it comes to it.

But, you WILL get the visa in the end. Keep reminding yourself of that.

Thanks Harpa!

We *could* try to go to the doctor yet. Problem is, it is from a public military hospital and I am not sure when the first available time slot will be. I will of course explain the situation and try to get in QUICK but you know how these things go. In a normal time frame we need to schedule an appointment months in advance. I will plead my case with him, hoping to get in and out with another paper for John?

No we haven't contacted a senator yet. We will try that if it comes to that.

I am trying Harpa, I really am trying. This uncertainty and the "we are trying to find an excuse" at every corner is killing me when I see other people fly by with half the paperwork we were asked. :(

Click "spoiler" below for a detailed account of our journey to a CR1 visa via DCF in Athens, Greece.

Early 2013 - Confessed our love for each other * Late 2013 - I got pregnant with our daughter
2014 - Our baby was born in Athens, Greece and completed our family. We now have two boys and a girl!! 2013 - 2015 - Looking for jobs in Greece, none were available (due to socioeconomic crisis) 2015 - Decided only way to feed our family was to immigrate and started the process December 2015 - Got married (Greece has a LOT of red tape for foreigners marrying Greeks)

29th June - ISSUED!!!!!!1st July - Visa packages and passports delivered to DHL.4th July - Visas in hand! CU in two weeks USA!!
19th July- POE Detroit. All went well!! (excluding our screaming, jet lagged toddler!!)

After Arrival in the US

October - February 2016 - Battle with drug use, overdosing, bringing home a tiny paycheck

March - July 2017 - I am working 80 hr weeks to make ends meet. Discovered hubby's affair. Still overdoses and is hospitalized. Has quit working all together.
July - October 2017 - Marriage counseling. Revealed hubby has "several" mental conditions. Is started on several mental meds.

October 2017 - Got accepted for a college course. Got better job to help raise my kids.

July 16th - Package for ROC is delivered to the CA service center (divorce waiver).

**Our DCF journey to an IV took 5 months and 1 day from turning in the I-130 to getting "Issued"**

event.png

event.png

I am trying Harpa, I really am trying. This uncertainty and the "we are trying to find an excuse" at every corner is killing me when I see other people fly by with half the paperwork we were asked. :(

I know, your journey is a little odd. I kind of have a feeling that the embassy doesn't quite know what they are doing or they are in trouble somehow, like they were told to be strict because of the economy or something. But you WILL get the visa. Maybe with a couple more little hoops.

And for the military doctor, you just need medical records, not an appointment maybe?

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Timeline

It's the records (diagnosis too) I sent the doctor and he didn't like that paper.

I am sure they were told to be extra strict as Greece is now considered a poor thrid world country or smt.

After Arrival in the US

event.png

event.png

Timeline

They released the medical papers to me an hour ago. He didn't say anything or whether or not we passed. We shall see tomorrow I guess. I have no idea what he wrote on my son's case :(

After Arrival in the US

event.png

event.png

Timeline

Uhm, guys had they found something to make us inadmissible to the US, he wouldn't have given us the papers, yes??

After Arrival in the US

event.png

event.png

The medical doctor submitted his/her findings/recommendations to the US consulate where the CO will make the final decision.

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Okay, so that was the doctor freaking out over nothing. Too bad. Anyway, I look forward to your news of approval tomorrow.

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Timeline

The medical doctor submitted his/her findings/recommendations to the US consulate where the CO will make the final decision.

No he gave us the sealed envelope to hand carry as they scheduled our appointment then re-scheduled for two weeks earlier than the first date and we ended up having the medical on Friday (interview is tomorrow). So he gave us the envelope to hand carry with us.

Okay, so that was the doctor freaking out over nothing. Too bad. Anyway, I look forward to your news of approval tomorrow.

Oh Lord, make it so!!! As we say in Greece. Cross your fingers guys for us!!! :) :) (too bad I am nursing a baby and can't take an herbal pill or something to sleep good tonight hahahaha)

After Arrival in the US

event.png

event.png

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Bear in mind that the doctor is still a doctor. Not sure if it's the same in Greece as in Australia, but our panel doctor told us that, if he found anything untoward, he would tell us - regardless of the consulate - because he's a doctor and he's taken an oath and has a duty of care to his patients. All of them. Which is why he told us he was writing down that our son wouldn't find a job in the future. Annoying as it was, he was abiding by his oath and being honest and upfront in his opinion. I appreciated that honesty, even if I didn't agree with it.

I would hope that your doctor would have done the same and let you know if there were any issues that were insurmountable from an immigration perspective. Which I don't think dyslexia is.

Timeline

Thanks Emily!

Of it is not. My brother is dyslexic and he can't spell a single word correctly but he is one of the most upcoming and promising Chefs here. He has been featured in magazines and was offered his own show. He was recently made partner at the restaurant.

I never thought of it as an issue until he doctor freaked me out!!! :/

After Arrival in the US

event.png

event.png

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

We know our kids, right? And we know their potential is far more expansive than a diagnosis made at a point in time. Each day we see them develop, grow, fly and surprise the heck out of us.

I wouldn't worry. BUT, since you are a worrier by nature, go armed with all the paperwork you have and be ready to state your arguments. You probably won't need to but, if you do, you'll be ready. :-)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.