artseth

Do I Really Need a Lawyer or Professional Help?

25 posts in this topic

Hello Friends,

I'm new at this and I've been reading this website for hours/days trying to learn as much as I can. Forgive me if this is addressed elsewhere, but haven't been able to find it.

Should I hire an agency or lawyer to help my with the K1 process? I live in the U.S. and my fiancé lives in Vietnam.

I've read in some threads that bribes are expected. I can't seem to figure out what step of the process this would come into play.

Also, any recommendations about specific agencies/lawyers if I should go that route? Hire someone in Vietnam or in the US? Any ballpark figure that would outline what I should expect to pay?

I feel like I can do all of this myself (thanks to the info posted here) but I'm willing to pay someone if it expedites things.

Thanks in advance!

I used the services of a lawyer for my wife's K1 visa who was really great and my post is not going to knock him at all. But honestly looking back on it, I wish I could have done it myself and saved the money that was spent on a lawyer. While in my circumstance it was easier using a lawyer because I was working overseas, if you are in the USA then NO don't get a lawyer. All you have to do is simply use the guides on here and front load your application in the beginning. So No just save your money and follow the guides and if you have a straight forward case it will be no problem.

BUT if there is a big complication with your case then get one because it may help. I mean a complication like formerly deported, criminal history, anything of that nature.

Edited by cyberfx1024

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

You'd be perfectly fine doing it yourself, unless you have some complex situation that could only be guided through with professional assistance you'd really just be paying for someone to ask you all of your personal information and fill out your forms. Just use the guides up top and ask with anything you're unsure of and you'll manage. Plenty of people go either route, a lawyer can't get your K-1 expedited any more than you could.

event.png

You'd be perfectly fine doing it yourself, unless you have some complex situation that could only be guided through with professional assistance you'd really just be paying for someone to ask you all of your personal information and fill out your forms. Just use the guides up top and ask with anything you're unsure of and you'll manage. Plenty of people go either route, a lawyer can't get your K-1 expedited any more than you could.

+1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You do not need an attorney. If you can read and follow directions, you can do it all on your own and you cannot bribe your way through. I initially thought I would need to get an attorney, after reading the USCIS site and looking at the forms I decided to do it myself. The members of VisaJourney were all very helpful along the way. I was able to use their experiences to anticipate my next step. I was able to get my finance to the US in less than 6 months. Submission date 10/31/2015, arrival in US 4/10/2016. We are now happily married and living in the US. No more loss of sleep or facetiming. YAY!!!

Thanks so much everyone! My case should be very simple given that neither one of us have ever been married and there's no criminal anything going on.

I thought as much but I was worried I was missing something.

My only concerns:

-- we didn't have an engagement ceremony when I was in Vietnam.

-- she lives in the sticks and doesn't have a proper street address.

You do not need an attorney. If you can read and follow directions, you can do it all on your own and you cannot bribe your way through. I initially thought I would need to get an attorney, after reading the USCIS site and looking at the forms I decided to do it myself. The members of VisaJourney were all very helpful along the way. I was able to use their experiences to anticipate my next step. I was able to get my finance to the US in less than 6 months. Submission date 10/31/2015, arrival in US 4/10/2016. We are now happily married and living in the US. No more loss of sleep or facetiming. YAY!!!

Very happy for you both! I'm hoping it's the same with me.

Filed: Timeline

Ahem... nowhere is a bribe required in any of the visa processes and should be removed from any conversations. Everyone has told you you don't need a lawyer and following the guides is fine. There are plenty of examples on the internet to help you too.

Thanks so much everyone! My case should be very simple given that neither one of us have ever been married and there's no criminal anything going on.

I thought as much but I was worried I was missing something.

My only concerns:

-- we didn't have an engagement ceremony when I was in Vietnam.

-- she lives in the sticks and doesn't have a proper street address.

Very happy for you both! I'm hoping it's the same with me.

Please DO NOT DO AN ENGAGEMENT CEREMONY!!!!!! I say this because all the time on here we are reading how people have engagement ceremonies and how the embassy thinks that it is Traditional Marriage Ceremony so the people are denied. They then have to either appeal or get married and file again as a CR1.

The second one is ok. My wife lived up in the mountains of the Philippines so she just choose to pick up her passport w/visa rather than wait an extra week.

Please DO NOT DO AN ENGAGEMENT CEREMONY!!!!!! I say this because all the time on here we are reading how people have engagement ceremonies and how the embassy thinks that it is Traditional Marriage Ceremony so the people are denied. They then have to either appeal or get married and file again as a CR1.

The second one is ok. My wife lived up in the mountains of the Philippines so she just choose to pick up her passport w/visa rather than wait an extra week.

That's good to know about the ceremony.

As far as the lack of a street address, my concern is more about filling out the paperwork correctly and without rejection if the US officials don't see a proper address.

That's good to know about the ceremony.

As far as the lack of a street address, my concern is more about filling out the paperwork correctly and without rejection if the US officials don't see a proper address.

The only thing is you have to list the province, town, and street if there is a street. That's what I did for my wife. Also if there is any district in the town like for instance my wife's address was like this:

Purok 2, Brgy Cabutuan

New Bataan, Compostela Valley,

Edited by cyberfx1024

Even in the sticks she'll be registered in a sổ hộ khẩu. I would use her nơi thường trú as stated in her hộ khẩu as her address. At least for now, for things like the Form G-325A. If that's not near where she will be when it's time to start receiving documents, you will have opportunities to supply a different mailing address. But I wouldn't worry about USCIS thinking it doesn't look like an address. 1) They've dealt with Viet Nam before, and 2) they don't start mailing things abroad just because they've received a G-325A.

2015-10-13 Married in Phú Yên, Việt Nam

I-130

2016-01-04 NOA1

2016-05-16 NOA2 133 days from NOA1

NVC

2016-08-11 Case complete

Consulate

2016-10-31 Interview 81 days from case complete, 301 days from NOA1

2016-11-05 Visa received

POE

2016-11-17 Seattle-Tacoma

And if you're there now or are planning to see her before you file, get all her signatures taken care of. It can be hard to access a printer in the sticks and you will need her "wet" signature.

Good luck.

2015-10-13 Married in Phú Yên, Việt Nam

I-130

2016-01-04 NOA1

2016-05-16 NOA2 133 days from NOA1

NVC

2016-08-11 Case complete

Consulate

2016-10-31 Interview 81 days from case complete, 301 days from NOA1

2016-11-05 Visa received

POE

2016-11-17 Seattle-Tacoma

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

You can do it yourself just follow the example forms that visa journey has published and you will be fine. I did everything by myself with some help from other visa journeys and with the information that I got from this site.

Filed: IR-5 Country: Seychelles
Timeline

Remember this, the hardest part of doing the petition is getting all the documents, dates, pictures, hotels receipts and flight information. All this you have to prepare yourself and hand it to the lawyer to fill out the forms with all the information you hand him, package it when done and send it off...and wallah...$$$ you just paid for another vacation for that lawyer.

DO it yourself...gather everything and all the documents requested from you and your fiance. Follow the links on how to to file, believe me all the information you need is right here at your fingers...Also, anytime you have a question you can search the answers for it right here on VJ and if you can't find an answer, the good and knowledgeable members her can reply to any questions you might post...Save your money!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I agree with pch1! I also wondered if we should hire a lawyer. But then realized the lawyer will ask me for everything anyway and I will pay him for what, his secretary to type the info? I gathered all the necessary stuff and made 3 identical binders in one day. One for USCIS, one for my fiancee and one for me as a backup. We have been approved and now only have to complete the medical and interview. We filed 2/2/16. My fiancee also has no numerical address. Hers is like "blue house jackson st" lol and we had no issues. Immigration knows things are different in SEA than the US. Don't worry if you can read and don't mind asking for help when in doubt you will be fine and it will save you 1500-3000. Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.