boostrz

i-130 Tax Filing Status Definitive Answer

25 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am the USC filing for my NRA wife. We got married on December 30, 2015. What is the definitive answer on Tax Return filing status as of 2016? I have read a plethora of information from multiple threads with no definitive answer. I filed as Single due to the insistence of my tax pro at H&R Block. Now before anyone chimes in about HR block employees being idiots, I live in NYC, the city with arguably the most immigrants in the US, and all the Block employees at the office I went to deal with various immigration related issues on a daily basis. Their expertise is in ITIN's and other immigration related tax things. In addition, my immigration attorney was very confident in her reassurance that my wife's visa WILL NOT be denied based on my tax filing status. Furthermore, two of my cousins just recently brought over their wives from the same country, Bangladesh (one was a year ago, the other 2 months ago) and both filed as Single on their returns and also assured me that no "Red Flags" (as many people blindly point to on this forum) were raised.

At this point, is it worth it for me to file a 1040x to amend my taxes? Has anyone every gotten denied a visa solely Tax Return filing status? Or is it all just speculation?

PS The IRS only cares if they get their money and based on my income, filing Single vs MFS, results in 100% the same tax amount.

-Shawn

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If you were married on the last day of the year then you're required to file as "Married." If it's "100% the same tax amount" why would you file single? I would file the 1040x, even if nothing comes of the fact you filed as single, is it really worth the risk?

Source; http://www.efile.com/irs-tax-filing-status/

Edited by B-2-Z

Met 2008. Moved in together 2010. Married 2015. Baby Z joined us 2017 . :wub:

AOS Timeline 350 days

May 31/15 - Sent AOS/EAD/AP to USCIS

June 4/15 - Email and text notifications they were recieved

June 10/15 - NOA1 for AOS/EAD/AP Dated June 1

June 17/15- Change of address confirmation

June 22/15- Biometrics appointment received

July 1/15- Biometrics appointment done(5 minute appointment, 8 hour round trip drive <_< )

August 5/15 - Change of address submitted for new location

August 8/15 - Mobile/E-mail notifications for approved EAD/AP :)

August 17/15 - Change of address confirmation after calling in

August 17/15 - EAD/AP Combo card mailed out(To the wrong address, and then lost by USPS)

September 3/15 - Contacted USCIS and was told to re-apply with a new application and fees?! Put in a service request online for lost card, and a complaint

September 8/15 - USPS found & returned card to USCIS

September 15/15 - Ombudsman contacted USCIS

September 17/15 - Card mailed back out

September 19/15 - EAD/AP Combo card finally in hand

September 22/15 - NPIW letter received, dated September 9/2015 estimated 6 month wait

October 13-21/15 - Traveled using AP to visit parents & ship the rest of our belongings out west

November 27-30/15 - Traveled using AP

December 28/15- RFE hard copy, waiting on documents from Canada

January 31-February 7/16 - Traveled using AP

February 10/16 - Sent in RFE, delivered Feb 16

April 16/16 - Service request filed, RFE was never updated online

May 12 - Approved email and status update dated May 10. Service request never was assigned or solved, though.

May 14 - Greencard in hand!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

You should have filed a W7 for a ITIN under spouse secttion e of instructions and claimed her as your dependent of taxes

the only time you can ask for ITIN (individual taxpayer ID number) is at tax time in the spring

I don't want to claim her right now, so i do not want to get an ITIN for her. That would add a whole new level of complexity (back and forth mailing to a 3rd world country with no postal, time to wait for ITIN, etc) to an already complicated process.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Just because an H&R Block employee can file for an ITIN, it doesn't mean he's not an idiot.

H&R Block employees receive minimal training.

I have an advanced tax degree.

There is no immigration effect by filing as single. There is only a money issue.

I would amend your tax return. Get an ITIN for your wife and file as married. Filing as married means an additional personal deduction and more generous tax scale which means a lower tax burden. If you got a refund, you'll get a bigger refund USUALLY in most cases by filing as married when the other spouse has little or no income.

You could use the extra money right?

You wanted a definitive answer. Publication 501 https://www.irs.gov/publications/p501/ar02.html

Marital Status

In general, your filing status depends on whether you are considered unmarried or married.

Unmarried persons. You are considered unmarried for the whole year if, on the last day of your tax year, you are either:

Unmarried, or

Legally separated from your spouse under a divorce or separate maintenance decree.

State law governs whether you are married or legally separated under a divorce or separate maintenance decree.

Married persons. If you are considered married, you and your spouse can file a joint return or separate returns.

Considered married. You are considered married for the whole year if, on the last day of your tax year, you and your spouse meet any one of the following tests.

1. You are married and living together.

2. You are living together in a common law marriage recognized in the state where you now live or in the state where the common law marriage began.

3.You are married and living apart but not legally separated under a decree of divorce or separate maintenance.

4. You are separated under an interlocutory (not final) decree of divorce.

I don't think NVC will look at how you filed. They aren't IRS agents. Not their problem.They want to see how much money you made. That is an opinion. I have an advanced degree in Visa Journey. :P Just kidding, of course. There is no definitive answer for that one.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Just because an H&R Block employee can file for an ITIN, it doesn't mean he's not an idiot.

H&R Block employees receive minimal training.

I have an advanced tax degree.

There is no immigration effect by filing as single. There is only a money issue.

I would amend your tax return. Get an ITIN for your wife and file as married. Filing as married means an additional personal deduction and more generous tax scale which means a lower tax burden. If you got a refund, you'll get a bigger refund USUALLY in most cases by filing as married when the other spouse has little or no income.

You could use the extra money right?

Thank you for your reply. Ya extra money is great, but not the extra headache that goes with it. Even If I did amend, it would only be married filing separately, so no gain for me. So technically, if I left it at single, I should be just fine right?

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Thank you for your reply. Ya extra money is great, but not the extra headache that goes with it. Even If I did amend, it would only be married filing separately, so no gain for me. So technically, if I left it at single, I should be just fine right?

For immigration, what you do does not matter.

You fail to understand that with an ITIN for your wife, you can file a joint return. That could mean some real money; perhaps a couple hundred to a thousand dollars depending on your marginal tax bracket.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Basically, in the eyes of the IRS and for tax purposes, you filed using the wrong status.

For Immigration purposes, it may or may not effect you. I haven't heard or read of someone who said they had problems like that. It's a risk you'd be taking. You could or could not get questioned on it. All depends on who is reviewing your case file and how detailed they want to get.

Maria ~ U.S. Citizen

K-1 & K-2 Process (Completed in 4 mos. 8 days)

1/19/16: I-129F Package recv'd by USCIS via FedEx overnight

4/1/16: NOA2 Approval :dancing:

5/17/16: Interview :star: - APPROVED :dance:

5/25/16 Visas in hand! :thumbs: 

8/5/16: Wedding (L)

AOS/EAD/AP Process, K-1 & K-2 (Completed in 4 mos. 15 days)

9/21/16: Package recv'd by USCIS via FedEx overnight [Day 1]

10/24/16: AOS Cases (I-864) RFIE recv'd hardcopy [Day 29]

12/23/16: AOS Case Status Updates - Interview Scheduled, text recv'd [Day 94] :dancing:

1/17/17: EAD/AP Combo Card recv'd via USPS Priority Mail [Day 119]

1/27/17: AOS Interview :star: - APPROVED!! :dance:  [Day 129 / 120 w/ 9day RFIE delay]

1/27/17: AOS Case status update - Approved | 1/31/17: New Card in Production | 2/1/17: Card Was Mailed

2/4/17: Green Cards Arrived :thumbs:

ROC Process, Spouse & 2 Step-Sons (Completed in 23 mos. 22 days)

1/25/19: Package recv'd by USCIS via FedEx overnight [Day 1]

1/29/19: NOA notice date, text & email recv'd, routed to CSC

2/1/19: NOA 18mo. Extension Letter arrived in the mail, for wife only [Day 7]

3/13/19: Filed SR for non-receipt of NOA for I-751A dependents [Day 48] | 3/21/19: Recv'd NOA for 2 stepsons [Day 56]

4/29/19: Biometrics (Scheduled) Appt Completed [Day 95]

8/28/20: Case Status Update - RFE [Day 582 ~ 19 mos. 4 days] | 11/20/20: Case Status Update - RFE response recv'd [Day 666 ~ 21 mos. 27 days]

1/7/21: Case Status Update - New Card in Production :dance: [Day 714 ~ 23 mos. 14 days] 

1/15/21: Green Cards Arrived :thumbs:[Day 722 ~ 23 mos. 22 days]

All done for now! :)

You mean filing as Married Filing Separately? Someone who is married cannot file as Single.

They can and they do file as single because their tax prep person does it that way. While not correct, it is commonly reported on VJ. I believe aaron2020 meant Immigration is not in the business of auditing tax returns whether you picked the correct filing status or not.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

As per the IRS themselves, they no longer accept any forms that have "NRA"

https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/General-ITIN-Information

So what are people doing if they DO NOT want to go thru the hassle of obtaining an ITIN? Obviously the IRS states that you CANNOT put MFS and "NRA" in your spouse's SSN.

If I am interpreting the IRS rules, you can only file MFS or MJS only if your spouse has an SSN or ITIN...is this correct?

I DO NOT want to apply for an ITIN due to the time and hassle.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

So what are people doing if they DO NOT want to go thru the hassle of obtaining an ITIN? Obviously the IRS states that you CANNOT put MFS and "NRA" in your spouse's SSN.

If I am interpreting the IRS rules, you can only file MFS or MJS only if your spouse has an SSN or ITIN...is this correct?

Uh oh...I thought I finally did my taxes correct this year (after filing "single" incorrectly thanks to H&R block for the past 4 years since marriage), and now it says they don't accept NRA??? No wonder I haven't gotten my return money back yet! ARG!

Edit: AHA!! I Googled it and found IRS Pub 17 for the 2015 tax filing year. In the middle of page 22, it states to put NRA if you are filing MFS and your spouse doesn't have an SSN or ITIN. I think the website means they don't accept a tax return if the filer puts NRA...meaning they will accept your return with your SSN and NRA listed as the spouse identifier, but they wouldn't accept a separate return with NRA listed as the filer's identifier. Meaning your spouse couldn't file their own return until they got an SSN or ITIN.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p17.pdf

Edited by B&Z

My Convoluted Story (see my profile for more details)
Jun 2009 - Met on Facebook
Mar 2010 - Visited Morocco for the first time, got engaged
Dec 30, 2011 - Wedding in Morocco (5th visit)
I-130/CR-1 (first time around)
31 Aug 2012 - Priority Date (Vermont, transferred to NBC)
31 Dec 2012 - NOA2
27Jul 2013 - Broke up/Separation (while waiting for case complete at NVC)
9 Jan 2014 - Filed for divorce in US (never completed)
4 Apr 2014 - USCIS NOIR
May 2015 - Reconciliation
Nov 2015 - Vacation together in Spain (7th in-person visit with each other)
I-130/IR-1 (second time around)
4 Feb 2016 - Priority Date
19 Apr 2016 - NOA2

17 May 2016 - NVC Case Number Assigned

31 May 2016 - Sent AOS/IV package to NVC

5 Jul 2016 - NVC Case Complete

10 Aug 2016 - Medical Exam

25 Aug 2016 - Interview - APPROVED

1 Sep 2016 - Husband picked up his visa

Husband POE'd @ IAD - 5 November

They don't accept it if the person is a filer...as in you and wife filing jointly. They won't process her return (or her named jointly) without an ITIN or SSN.

If you file Married Filing Separately, then it is your return only. You have to name your spouse on it, but NRA is acceptable in that instance because she is not filing anything.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.