DontAskWhy

How Many Philippines CRBA Applicants Needed to Get a DNA Test?

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I would like to take a personal survey of how many CRBA applicants in the Philippines were asked to get a DNA test to prove blood relationship because their evidence provided was not sufficient.

It's rumored that in the Philippines, they ask EVERYONE to get a DNA test and I would like to know if that's true or close to the truth.

Philippines CRBA applicants!!! : Please comment here on whether you had to get a DNA test or not, and what proofs did you provide for blood relationship, and evidence of parents' relationship prior to conception?

Other countries -- can comment too! Why not? Let's try to get some statistics going on.

:dancing:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

I had to do DNA test in Jakarta for CRBA. Everything went fine at the embassy at the time of filing but we didn't have sufficient pictures of all 3 of us at the hospital when our son was born. The lady at the embassy even said she could tell just by looking at he and I that I was the father but she said her words would be enough for the paperwork. The test itself was pretty simple, just added about a month to the process.

Having read previous posts on here about CRBA's, it seemed like the majority of people from Phils had to do DNA tests. But that's just my feeling. It will be interesting to see what kind of results you see from this post.

Timeline

Hi ch3john - Thanks for your comment.

Funny, I heard that same remark from another fellow who was denied for CRBA, the one where the consular officer says that he can see that the father looks exactly like the child. But they ended up denying the application in that person's case, but I can't remember the reason why.

Pictures of the three of you in the hospital at the time of birth is a valid proof of paternity? I would think they would be more focused on the evidence of relationship at the time of conception. If you feel like it (and you can remember), could you list exactly what sort of evidence you initially submitted to prove blood relationship?

Because, it seems to me, that if a blood relationship is required, and the child must be a biological child of the US citizen, there is only one way to really prove that, which is with a DNA test. So I am curious, as to what other evidence would be considered by the consulate to be definitive evidence for that other than a DNA test.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I helped processed CRBA for our USC expats years back with US Embassy Manila. They were all required to have the DNA test to prove paternity prior to issuance of US passports to their children.

AOS/ AED/ AP:

(California Service Center, Chula Vista, San Diego, CA)

Filed: Aug 29

Receipt Date: Sept 2

NOA 1 Date: Sept 12 (received text/email)

NOA 1 copy rcvd: Sept 16

Biometrics Notice Date: Sept 17, received Sept 24

Biometrics Sched: Oct 5

Successful walk-in: Sept 26

Oct 13- Case ready to be scheduled for interview

EAD/AP approved - Nov. 1/2 / Received EAD/ AP Combo Card- Nov. 15

50days from NOA1/ 64 days from receipt date.

January 30-  USCIS Ap update, Interview sched on March 3, 2017

Jan 31 - received USCIS letter/ Notice for interview 

March 3- Interview, approved on the Spot

March 8 - received GC

Dec 2018 - To file ROC

My Blogs:

I-129F Petition Process

Medical Requirements

Medical Exam Experience

US Embassy Manila K1/K2 Interview Preparation Requirements and Instructions

Interview (K1 with 2 K2s)

CFO Guidance and Counseling (applicable to applicant from Philippines only)

My K1 Visa Journey

8 August 2015 - Sent I-129F Packet thru USPS

17 August 2015 - I -797C Notice date

20 August 2015 - Received printed copy of NOA1 dated Aug 17.

2 September 2015 - APPROVED! (14 working days from receipt date)

Dec. 21-22 - Medical DONE!

Jan 11, 2016 - Interview- APPROVED!

Jan 15 - Visa ISSUED!

Jan 21 - VISA ON HAND! (8 working days from interview)

March 21 - CFO / PDOS for K2s

June 1, 2016 - POE

July 18, 2016 - Married

I am his and he is mine from this day until the end of my days..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~One post removed as requested by the poster.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

My husband (boyfriend back then) & I were not married at the time of conception, I was working in Bahrain from 2005 and met my husband on 2009 while he was still in the Navy. The first time my husband met our son in person was when he was 3 yrs old (August 2013), that was when he went to Philippines for our civil wedding. On our sons birth certificate he was carrying my last name and not his father so after we got married, me and my husband went to the Local Registrar Office and had his last name changed to his fathers. After the wedding my husband went back to US and I went back to my work in Bahrain and when the annotated birth certificate of our son and our marriage certificate was finally issued from NSO then I went back to Philippines to apply for his CRBA and passport. My husband was not with me at the time of interview, the evidence presented was a copy of our passports pages (visa and entry & exit stamps) to show that we were both in Bahrain on the time of conception, our pictures together in Bahrain, wedding pictures and pictures of the 3 of us and we are approved without doing the DNA test. I also heard a lot of stories that when the baby's mother and father are not married that there is high chances to do DNA test, to be honest with our situation back then we are also expecting we would be asked to do a DNA test.

Timeline

But why is the process for this so opaque and misleading? It's very frustrating if you are expecting to pay $100 or $205 with passport, and then you're told that you will actually have to pay $800 for a DNA test. And if you can't afford to pay that before the 90 day time limit, then you have just made a $205 donation to the US Consulate: you lost your money.

I just think the Consulate should be more transparent and vocal about the DNA test. It seems that it's a legal issue (they are not allowed to require it) and so they tread lightly and tiptoe around the truth, misleading you into thinking that if you have all your papers in order, you won't need it, it's the exception to the rule. While in reality, in most of the cases, they will ask for a DNA test.

The lack of any clear instruction on what other evidence, besides a DNA test, would satisfy the blood relationship proof, also makes it more complicated than it should be.

How is it that everyone just seems to be like, "Ok another $800 bucks? No problem, not a big deal." Am I so much poorer than everyone else that popping an unexpected $800 fee is not a big deal to anyone except me?

• 6 months later...
Timeline

We were asked to get a DNA test to support our CRBA and US passport application. I'm Filipina and my fiancee is a US Citizen but we're not married. Plus I was not able to provide documents to support my relationship to my daughter's father before I got pregnant and forgot to show photos that I was indeed got pregnant. I submitted ultrasounds, hospital bills though but still asked me to be included in the DNA test.

Timeline

@DontAskWhy

For those parent's who were not married at the time of conception, I believe the Consul will accept the following proof of relationship and won't ask for DNA test,

1. Proof that you were in the same location, same country or living together

2. Proof that you have a genuine relationship, photos together, chatlogs etc

3. Proof of mother's pregnancy - ultrasounds, hospital bills, photos while pregnant

I was not able to provide all of those listed above so asked us to do DNA test. All 3 of us.

It is a hassle indeed specially for us because we've done the DNA test before using a home kit. But it will be a waste of application fees if we'll not proceed with what they ask... Such a pain.

• 1 year later...
Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 10/19/2016 at 3:28 AM, Maudereese said:

@DontAskWhy

For those parent's who were not married at the time of conception, I believe the Consul will accept the following proof of relationship and won't ask for DNA test,

1. Proof that you were in the same location, same country or living together

2. Proof that you have a genuine relationship, photos together, chatlogs etc

3. Proof of mother's pregnancy - ultrasounds, hospital bills, photos while pregnant

I was not able to provide all of those listed above so asked us to do DNA test. All 3 of us.

It is a hassle indeed specially for us because we've done the DNA test before using a home kit. But it will be a waste of application fees if we'll not proceed with what they ask... Such a pain.

I think  the Proof that you've listed are still not enough. It is a case to case basis.... it depends on the situation or depends if the Consul officer is convince with the proof. Sometimes it is just one simple question and the CO was not satisfied with your answer and he will asked to do the DNA.

In my case, the Consul asked me what time I gave birth to my daughter.... I said, it's early morning. He asked, what time? I said I forgot the exact time, but I know it is around 5 AM. Yes, it is really around 5AM but I didn't know that he really want the exact time including the minutes LOL.... So, he asked to do the DNA. My daughter and I did the DNA and the result is 99.99%..... Now all I want to say, she is really my daughter.

Edited by meblue

• 9 months later...
Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

September 22, 2018

I received an email from the U.S Embassy Manila requesting for DNA test! And mom went to AAB accredited facility lab in Hawaii and she made an appointment waiting for my DNA Kit to arrive in U.S Embassy manila! 😊😀 keep you guys posted! Wish me luck 

November 15. 2018

Received an email from the U.S Embassy manila informing me that they received my DNA kit and referred my case to St. Lukes Extension Clinic for scheduling. 

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 4/14/2016 at 5:12 AM, DontAskWhy said:

I would like to take a personal survey of how many CRBA applicants in the Philippines were asked to get a DNA test to prove blood relationship because their evidence provided was not sufficient.

It's rumored that in the Philippines, they ask EVERYONE to get a DNA test and I would like to know if that's true or close to the truth.

Philippines CRBA applicants!!! : Please comment here on whether you had to get a DNA test or not, and what proofs did you provide for blood relationship, and evidence of parents' relationship prior to conception?

Other countries -- can comment too! Why not? Let's try to get some statistics going on.

Hello there! My visa category is F1(Unmarried daughter of the U. S Citizen)

my mom is my petitioner. I was interviewed twice and requested to have a DNA test! The U.S Embassy Manila emailed me that they received my DNA Kit and referred my case to St. Lukes Extension Clinic for scheduling. I’m waiting for st. Lukes to call me for my appointment.

Edited by Jha14

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 4/14/2016 at 5:12 AM, DontAskWhy said:

We finished applying CRBA for my 2 year old son and NO they didn't ask for DNA. Most of the proof  we submitted were flight details, itinerary, hotel booking, photos, chat logs, email. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.