Lee&Ana

I want to pull affidavit of support before AOS approved

47 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

If she gets the 2 years green card, there is still removal of conditions. Let's say she gets the 2 year card and things don't work out. How much trouble am I going to be in with the affidavit of support? I know that if I do it now, I will be Scot free. But after the 2 year card, it could be difficult financially and she can make a lot of trouble for me.

If you were to reconcile later and she'd change her mind about not wanting to live in the US, you could still file for a marriage visa (assuming you did not divorce).

I am not going to go through all that trouble and be out more money for something I already paid for.

If you were to reconcile later and she'd change her mind about not wanting to live in the US, you could still file for a marriage visa (assuming you did not divorce).

I am not going to go through all that trouble and be out more money for something I already paid for.

I explained to my Filipina that just because this is USA, life isn't much easier. WE still must work hard for our money.

Also, when she tried to ignore me, I came over right by her and stared into her eyes asking what's wrong. When she got up trying to move away, I gently hugged her and didn't let her go until she stopped. Which was about five minutes till she started explaining to me what's wrong.

Who has time for all these games?

Timeline

I explained to my Filipina that just because this is USA, life isn't much easier. WE still must work hard for our money.

Also, when she tried to ignore me, I came over right by her and stared into her eyes asking what's wrong. When she got up trying to move away, I gently hugged her and didn't let her go until she stopped. Which was about five minutes till she started explaining to me what's wrong.

with that you got an up button from me :)

I feel bad reading stories like this. We all have gone through so much with having a long distance relationship, petition process and when finally when the couple are together, things started to fall apart.

AOS/ AED/ AP:

(California Service Center, Chula Vista, San Diego, CA)

Filed: Aug 29

Receipt Date: Sept 2

NOA 1 Date: Sept 12 (received text/email)

NOA 1 copy rcvd: Sept 16

Biometrics Notice Date: Sept 17, received Sept 24

Biometrics Sched: Oct 5

Successful walk-in: Sept 26

Oct 13- Case ready to be scheduled for interview

EAD/AP approved - Nov. 1/2 / Received EAD/ AP Combo Card- Nov. 15

50days from NOA1/ 64 days from receipt date.

January 30-  USCIS Ap update, Interview sched on March 3, 2017

Jan 31 - received USCIS letter/ Notice for interview 

March 3- Interview, approved on the Spot

March 8 - received GC

Dec 2018 - To file ROC

My Blogs:

I-129F Petition Process

Medical Requirements

Medical Exam Experience

US Embassy Manila K1/K2 Interview Preparation Requirements and Instructions

Interview (K1 with 2 K2s)

CFO Guidance and Counseling (applicable to applicant from Philippines only)

My K1 Visa Journey

8 August 2015 - Sent I-129F Packet thru USPS

17 August 2015 - I -797C Notice date

20 August 2015 - Received printed copy of NOA1 dated Aug 17.

2 September 2015 - APPROVED! (14 working days from receipt date)

Dec. 21-22 - Medical DONE!

Jan 11, 2016 - Interview- APPROVED!

Jan 15 - Visa ISSUED!

Jan 21 - VISA ON HAND! (8 working days from interview)

March 21 - CFO / PDOS for K2s

June 1, 2016 - POE

July 18, 2016 - Married

I am his and he is mine from this day until the end of my days..

I don't care if she stays after denial. I care about being on the hook for the affidavit of support. I am not trying to punish anyone, like some of these guys on here. If she wants to stay illegally, that is her option. It will not affect me. I doubt that she would stay here anyway. She doesn't like the USA

I was referring to protecting yourself from false domestic violence complaints. My wife has the same view on the USA, she doesn't like it here. I understand her reasoning on that issue, although I'm not 100% in agreement with it. But it was my desire to retire in the Philippines even before she came here, so the plan has always been in place to return there. Its a good thing for me that she would prefer to live there, but it can be a pain at times when she misses home too much.

Good luck in the future.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

If she gets the 2 years green card, there is still removal of conditions. Let's say she gets the 2 year card and things don't work out. How much trouble am I going to be in with the affidavit of support? I know that if I do it now, I will be Scot free. But after the 2 year card, it could be difficult financially and she can make a lot of trouble for me.

You can not get out of the affidavit of support after the initial green card is issued unless one of you dies, she gets citizenship, she works 40 qualifying quarters, or she leaves the country and doesn't return. Removal of conditions is not what many people think it is, it is very easy to remove conditions after divorce. I should also note, even the immigrant staying in the country illegally does not remove your responsibility under the I-864.

K1 from the Philippines
AOS
EAD

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Filed: Timeline

Well, we all know that in USA, money grows on trees in your yards :rofl:

OP should just pull the I-864 and move on.

Remember to protect yourself from any false abuse charge.

My wife told me her friends from her home country thinks all Americans make 15k a month. Obviously she knows that it's not true, but quite funny when she told me.

I don't care if she stays after denial. I care about being on the hook for the affidavit of support.

Personally, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it. The gov't (especially social service departments) is so disorganized that they would never go after you for any benefits she may receive.

I was referring to protecting yourself from false domestic violence complaints. My wife has the same view on the USA, she doesn't like it here. I understand her reasoning on that issue, although I'm not 100% in agreement with it. But it was my desire to retire in the Philippines even before she came here, so the plan has always been in place to return there. Its a good thing for me that she would prefer to live there, but it can be a pain at times when she misses home too much.

Good luck in the future.

My wife and I are in our 30's, and that is the plan for us. We will retire to live down in Davao City.

My wife and I are in our 30's, and that is the plan for us. We will retire to live down in Davao City.

We'll be moving to the same place. Last year we bought a couple lots just blocks her family in Mintal, Davao City. Her mother has turned it into a vegetable garden and is loving having so much area to plant in. We put in the water line already, so she doesn't have to cart in buckets of water, and my brother in law built her a little rest shack to rest in when she gets tired working on it. In 8 years we'll be moving there. I want to be there when we build, just to make sure decent standards are used. I've seen too many times where substandard materials are used, then you spend a fortune fixing everything after the fact.

K1 from the Philippines
AOS
EAD

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

We'll be moving to the same place. Last year we bought a couple lots just blocks her family in Mintal, Davao City. Her mother has turned it into a vegetable garden and is loving having so much area to plant in. We put in the water line already, so she doesn't have to cart in buckets of water, and my brother in law built her a little rest shack to rest in when she gets tired working on it. In 8 years we'll be moving there. I want to be there when we build, just to make sure decent standards are used. I've seen too many times where substandard materials are used, then you spend a fortune fixing everything after the fact.

Yeah I have went and bought land already up North in New Bataan, Compostela Valley. But after the typhoon there in 2012, we just use that land for coconuts. We now plan on living around Panabo or Tagum City. Totally agree about Western Standards while building the house, that is totally imperative.

Yeah I have went and bought land already up North in New Bataan, Compostela Valley. But after the typhoon there in 2012, we just use that land for coconuts. We now plan on living around Panabo or Tagum City. Totally agree about Western Standards while building the house, that is totally imperative.

Yes, I want a few things to western standards, but I'm also thinking earth quake resistant standards too. Plus they're constantly cutting corners on the cement mix to save money. Poured with the right mix, and the block is strong, the wrong mix and you can break it apart in your hand. They even keep building to the old code standard with thinner blocks, and thinner rebar spaced to far apart. Educate yourself before you build, then verify everything before it goes in.

K1 from the Philippines
AOS
EAD

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Timeline

Yes, I want a few things to western standards, but I'm also thinking earth quake resistant standards too. Plus they're constantly cutting corners on the cement mix to save money. Poured with the right mix, and the block is strong, the wrong mix and you can break it apart in your hand. They even keep building to the old code standard with thinner blocks, and thinner rebar spaced to far apart. Educate yourself before you build, then verify everything before it goes in.

What is interesting about your post is that my wife thinks American building standards for houses is ####### and the Philippines has better houses lol. I assume that all this land you "own" is in your wife's name?

What is interesting about your post is that my wife thinks American building standards for houses is ####### and the Philippines has better houses lol. I assume that all this land you "own" is in your wife's name?

Yes, my wife is the owner of the property, as I can't own it. I am on the title though as the foreign spouse of the owner :rofl: That might have something to do with my ability to inherit the land if she passes away.

There are some advantages to how they build homes in the Philippines as to how we build them in the USA. The biggest issue comes in if they actually follow the codes, and if they don't use substandard materials. Like their new airport terminal in Manila keeps falling apart because of substandard material. Seems once or twice a year something falls apart in such a way people are injured.

K1 from the Philippines
AOS
EAD

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

You are correct sir. Foreigners can not buy land in the Philippines at all, you can buy an apt but no land. The only thing that is the difference with some other SE Asian countries is that if the spouse dies the foreigner will inherit the land.

Yes, my wife is the owner of the property, as I can't own it. I am on the title though as the foreign spouse of the owner :rofl: That might have something to do with my ability to inherit the land if she passes away.

There are some advantages to how they build homes in the Philippines as to how we build them in the USA. The biggest issue comes in if they actually follow the codes, and if they don't use substandard materials. Like their new airport terminal in Manila keeps falling apart because of substandard material. Seems once or twice a year something falls apart in such a way people are injured.

Yeah that really got me a couple years back when the "New" terminal was opened at NAIA, and a couple months later it started "renovations". I was sitting there thinking "Did it not just open up a couple months back?". The people in charge up at NAIA should be held accountable for the negligence at that airport, Terminal 1 is atrocious, the Philippine Airlines Terminal is almost as bad as we, the bullet scandal. Also for what happened last week with the power outage at the airport.

You are correct sir. Foreigners can not buy land in the Philippines at all, you can buy an apt but no land. The only thing that is the difference with some other SE Asian countries is that if the spouse dies the foreigner will inherit the land.

A foreigner can get a long term 50 year lease on land though. And you own any buildings you build on land you have a long term lease on. I have no idea how they separate that once the lease expires though. I guess it would be assumed you renew the lease at that point.

K1 from the Philippines
AOS
EAD

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.