everywhereuwant2b

Documentation Required for Military Service for Iranian Applicants?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Iran
Timeline

Hello,

My fiance is Iranian and has not completed the compulsory military service and he is not eligible for exemption. I've spoken to a few lawyers, a few said this would be an issue, the rest said they don't see why it would be an issue.

I've checked the U.S. Embassy in UAE website and it says "Police certificates and documents related to military service are NOT required from Iran."

http://abudhabi.usembassy.gov/note-to-iranians.html

Same deal for U.S. Embassy in Armenia.

However, The U.S. Embassy in Turkey website says applicants should bring military cards.
http://turkey.usembassy.gov/media/pdfs/k1k2_instructions_052011.pdf

Naturally I'm very confused as to what to do. Anyone been through a similar situation?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K1 Process to MENA Regional Forum~

~At this stage of the process instructions/requirements may be embassy-specific~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

Thanks for your response, milimelo.

The issue is that we do not have any paperwork, because he hasn't even started it yet, let alone completed it. And he does not meet the requirements for exemption.

The whole thing seems counterintuitive to me. Wouldn't the U.S. government prefer that future U.S. residents not to have served in the Iranian military?

Timeline

Thanks to everyone for their their input.

I directed the embassy in Ankara and received this response from them:

"Iranian military service completion is not a pre-requisite in U.S. immigrant or non-immigrant visa applications. Applicant will submit documentation about his military status on the day of interview. His visa application will be processed regardless of the fact that he is except or completed the service."

I wanted to post this to help others in the event they are in a similar predicament. Interesting that that it does not affect non-immigrant visa applications as well.

• 1 year later...
On 4/11/2016 at 11:42 AM, everywhereuwant2b said:

Thanks to everyone for their their input.

I directed the embassy in Ankara and received this response from them:

"Iranian military service completion is not a pre-requisite in U.S. immigrant or non-immigrant visa applications. Applicant will submit documentation about his military status on the day of interview. His visa application will be processed regardless of the fact that he is except or completed the service."

I wanted to post this to help others in the event they are in a similar predicament. Interesting that that it does not affect non-immigrant visa applications as well.

I'm grateful for the information. So how did it end up? Did they actually disregard the issue?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.