QuoteTheBear

How long for tax refund after ITIN is processed?

10 posts in this topic

Hey there,

So I filed my paper tax return with my husband (who is a Canadian citizen) jointly. We received his ITIN about two weeks ago and his passport just came back today. Our refund should be direct deposited into my account, but I have no idea how long it will take. I keep trying to find out if it will take longer than 5 weeks based on the fact we had to file for the ITIN, or if it will be around that time frame.

PS: His ITIN was sent to us in about two weeks, I was really surprised!

Anyone else have any experience with this or situations to share?

Thanks!

Edited by QuoteTheBear

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The website says about 4 weeks after a paper return. This website is great to track the status. https://www.irs.gov/Refunds

Met 2008. Moved in together 2010. Married 2015. Baby Z joined us 2017 . :wub:

AOS Timeline 350 days

May 31/15 - Sent AOS/EAD/AP to USCIS

June 4/15 - Email and text notifications they were recieved

June 10/15 - NOA1 for AOS/EAD/AP Dated June 1

June 17/15- Change of address confirmation

June 22/15- Biometrics appointment received

July 1/15- Biometrics appointment done(5 minute appointment, 8 hour round trip drive <_< )

August 5/15 - Change of address submitted for new location

August 8/15 - Mobile/E-mail notifications for approved EAD/AP :)

August 17/15 - Change of address confirmation after calling in

August 17/15 - EAD/AP Combo card mailed out(To the wrong address, and then lost by USPS)

September 3/15 - Contacted USCIS and was told to re-apply with a new application and fees?! Put in a service request online for lost card, and a complaint

September 8/15 - USPS found & returned card to USCIS

September 15/15 - Ombudsman contacted USCIS

September 17/15 - Card mailed back out

September 19/15 - EAD/AP Combo card finally in hand

September 22/15 - NPIW letter received, dated September 9/2015 estimated 6 month wait

October 13-21/15 - Traveled using AP to visit parents & ship the rest of our belongings out west

November 27-30/15 - Traveled using AP

December 28/15- RFE hard copy, waiting on documents from Canada

January 31-February 7/16 - Traveled using AP

February 10/16 - Sent in RFE, delivered Feb 16

April 16/16 - Service request filed, RFE was never updated online

May 12 - Approved email and status update dated May 10. Service request never was assigned or solved, though.

May 14 - Greencard in hand!

My husband and I filed jointly last month, and in a week we've got the federal refund, but not the state. We used turbotax.

Removal of Conditions I-751

29 December 2017 - ROC Filing Opening Date (Expiry 29 Mar 2018)

29 December 2017 - I-751 Priority Mail shipped to VSC

2 January 2018 - Package delivered

8 January 2018 - Check cashed in

11 January 2018 - NOA received (DATE of NOA: 3 JAN 2018)

22 January 2018 - Biometrics Appointment letter received

30 January 2018 - Biometrics Appointment

11 August 2018 - 18 Months extension received (Exp on Sept 2019)

8 April 2019 - I751 Approved

12 April 2019 - NOA and greencard received

Help us all by updating your Timeline and Profile!:D

1. Click on your blue nickname on top right corner, there will be a dropdown menu> My Timeline > Edit/Add My Entry.

2. Click on your blue nickname at top right corner, dropdown menu > Account Settings > Profile > Edit Profile (Black button) > change your Filed for and Location.

3. If you would like to update your signature, click on your blue nickname on top right corner, dropdown menu> Account Settings > Left menu click on Signature.

IMPT: If you change address, DO NOT FORGET TO fill up AR-11 Online,for your USC Spouse, fill up I-865! 

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline

The website says about 4 weeks after a paper return. This website is great to track the status. https://www.irs.gov/Refunds

Thanks for the website link. It was very helpful. I should be getting my federal return this coming week :). It will be a total of 9 week since the date I paper file for an ITIN#.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

I mailed tax return and w7 for TIN on March 20th, I got the certified copy of my husband's passport back from IRS yesterday but nothing on when the tax return will be processed.

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

• 3 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

I mailed tax return and w7 for TIN on March 20th, I got the certified copy of my husband's passport back from IRS yesterday but nothing on when the tax return will be processed.

Hi,

Have you received the ITIN Number and the tax refund. Do you remember how long did it take to get the refund since you filed application for ITIN?

F2A/IR1 Journey (for wifey):

USCIS/I-30:

NOA-1: June 29, 2015

NOA-2: August 11, 2015

NVC:

NVC Received: August 21, 2015 (Called NVC 10/14/2015)

Case # Assigned: August 24, 2015

DS-261 Completed: June 29, 2016

AoS Paid: June 29, 2016

IV Paid: July 12, 2016

AoS and IV Package Sent: July 13, 2016

DS 260 Completed: July 15, 2016

Documents Scan: July 15, 2016

Upgraded to IR1: August 12, 2016

Case Completed: August 24, 2016

Embassy:

Interview Scheduled: September 9, 2016

Interview: October 17, 2016 (Called-confirmed with NVC 09/09/2016)

N-400 (for me):

N-400 Sent: March 25, 2016

NOA-1: March 30, 2016

FP Scheduled: April 28, 2016

FP Walked-in: April 18, 2016

In Line-Interview: May 23, 2016

Interview Letter: June 14, 2016

Interview: July 21, 2016

Oath: August 11, 2016

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

It took us a really long time, months. I'm going to say around 5 months. I had to make an inquiry with an advocate (I was transferred there by the IRS to help). The advocate service said that I needed to be facing a financial hardship for them to even look into it for me. Craziness.

04/19/16 PD - NOA1 (Potomac Service Center)

07/13/16 Transferred to National Benefits Center to "speed up" processing

08/06/16 Transferred to Local Field Office (Philadelphia) for Marriage Interview

10/04/16 - Congressional Inquiry

01/05/17 - Ombudsman says will receive Interview letter within 30 Days!

02/01/17 - Marriage Interview

02/02/17 - I-130 Approved!!!  :D

• 9 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I filed jointly along with my wife w7 for itin on feb 18, didnt sent her passport as we thought identification card would work and later they sent mail saying they need passport, so we sent the passport. Now she recieved her ITIN n passport a week ago.does anyone know how long will it take to get the refund?

• 1 year later...

***Thread from 2016  closed. Please do not reopen old threads.

VJ Moderation

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.