MidAtlanticMerge

Failed the medical - how long until a decision comes?

44 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

He needs to be proactive and find out what they expect from him to show he is no longer addicted or has a substance abuse disorder. Their technical instructions say it should be given to him in writing so ask for it. What does he have to provide and for how long? Treatment in drug re-hab? Monthly medical reports submitted showing no substance use? For how long before they consider his condition in remission and no longer a Class A (inadmissible) condition? They are required to spell it out based on their diagnosis.

Nich-Nick has written so many helpful points on this subject, please look them all up. I did and it saved my sanity. I had a DUI over 25 years ago and am a 17 year recovering alcoholic but I still freaked.

Still, I went and had blood tests for alcohol and even drug tests although not an addict as soon as I read the advice so I could show a history at the medical. My dreaded scary medical lasted 5 minutes after the doctor saw my results and a stack of character references from people I knew from before during and my life today. Be honest, get the treatment if possible and you will be fine.

Sorry though that you will not know for how long but get tested once a month and you will feel like you have bit of control over your destiny. Good luck...read those posts!!

K1 filed September 4, 2015

K1 Issued Feb 25, 2016

Entered the US June 3, 2016

Married June 13, 2016

AOS filed June 28, 2016

Paperwork received June 29, 2016

NOA dated July 11, 2016 for 485, 131, 765

RFIE mailed August 13, 2016

RFIE sent express August 22, 2016 ***Make sure you all use the latest forms from USCIS or RFIE***

RFIE accepted August 24, 2016

EAD Card is being produced September 13, 2016

Green Card is being produced November 17, 2016

AOS Approved November 18, 2016

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10766;472/st/20160711/e/NOA+1/k/25e6/event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

How long has he been in a drug treatment programme?

Obviously depends on the extent of his problems and his criminal history.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

If he knew he was taking the test why didn't he cleanse his system? Sounds like a drug problem. If I go to get my blood drawn for normal medical testing I change my eating habits and everything for a couple weeks to make sure my results are as good as possible. I'd slap him upside the head.

How long has he been in a drug treatment programme?

Obviously depends on the extent of his problems and his criminal history.

He's not in a drug treatment programme. We assume that there will be a 1 year ban, with random drug testing through out, but he's not currently in a programme. He has no criminal history and his police certificate was totally perfect.

He doesn't have a problem with drugs, he was a problem with being smart, prepared and well researched before going to an incredibly important event.

If he knew he was taking the test why didn't he cleanse his system? Sounds like a drug problem. If I go to get my blood drawn for normal medical testing I change my eating habits and everything for a couple weeks to make sure my results are as good as possible. I'd slap him upside the head.

We didn't think there would be drug testing. If he knew he wouldn't have smoked. I'd probably slap him upside the head, if he weren't on another continent.

Edited by MidAtlanticMerge

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

He's not in a drug treatment programme. We assume that there will be a 1 year ban, with random drug testing through out, but he's not currently in a programme.

He doesn't have a problem with drugs, he was a problem with being smart, prepared and well researched before going to an incredibly important event.

We didn't think there would be drug testing.

So it would have been better for him to not have gotten caught doing drugs instead of getting caught and now has a chance of quitting his drug problem?

So it would have been better for him to not have gotten caught doing drugs instead of getting caught and now has a chance of quitting his drug problem?

I don't think I understand the question.

If he/we had done more research, he would have stopped smoking weeks in advance.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

If he/we had done more research, he would have stopped smoking weeks in advance.

He still would've had to answer if he had used or not. That can cause a failed medical as well.

He still would've had to answer if he had used or not. That can cause a failed medical as well.

Hm well unfortunately I can't tell you what would have happened bc that's not what happened. I am not positive, but I think I've seen threads on here where people who admit to drug use but who test clean still get approved. Seems like they've loosened the rules up a bit recently?

The only other option is to lie, which people on here agree is not a good idea. I do wonder though what proportion of people do lie - I think a huge percentage of people have at least tried marijuana.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

There wasn't much research that needed to be done.

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Medical/LND%20-%20London

The document you were required to print out and bring with you to the Medical tells you what to expect. It literally states (Physical Exam, Chest X-Ray, and Blood Test). I mean what did you think they were drawing blood for, there are many drugs that don't show up in a urine sample, a blood test is the best way to analyze for drug usage. It is just most employers don't use this method, because the cost of a blood test is far far greater than a urine sample.

Click Below to View my timeline (spoiler added to reduce visible space consumption)

Timeline to date:

11/11/14 - Met online through eHarmony
11/12/14 - Started communication through email (1-2 emails daily)
12/20/14 - Communicating through Phone Calls and Video Calls
07/04/15 - First Trip to China to visit her (spent time at her home, her hometown, and Beijing), Met the whole family.
07/18/15 - Sadly I had to return back to the US
10/01/15 - I am returning back to China to be with her again
10/11/15 - She will accompany me back on the same flight for 30 days
11/14/15 - She returns back to China
12/01/15 - I-129F Fed-Ex'd to the Lewisville address
12/03/15 - Packet signed for by the receiver
12/07/15 - NOA1 Generated
12/11/15 - NOA1 Received
01/14/15 - NOA2 Generated (Approved)
01/28/16 - NVC Received (Still waiting papers for official date)
01/29/16 - NVC Case# Assigned (Still waiting papers for official date)
02/03/16 - Case Sent to Embassy
02/04/16 - Case Received by Embassy
03/03/16 - Packet 3 Received
03/03/16 - Packet 3 Sent back to Embassy
03/04/16 - DS-160 Fee paid
03/09/16 - Packet 4 Received (Documents were prepared in advance)
04/02/16 - I return to China to provide moral and emotional support as she goes to her Interview on the 5th
04/05/16 - Interview Date (APPROVED!!!)

04/25/16 - POE Dallas Texas (DFW) smooth sailing through customs

04/25/16 - Arrived in Nashville, TN 10pm
04/29/16 - Marriage Certificate received
SSN filed somewhere after this point (exact date is not remembered, received after a 30 minute wait)
11/16/16 - AoS packet mailed (i-485, i-765, i-131)
11/18/16 - AoS packet received
12/06/16 - Check Cashed
02/28/17 - EAD and AP Approved
03/02/17 - NOA2 for EAD and AP Arrived
03/02/17 - EAD/AP Card Arrived

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Hm well unfortunately I can't tell you what would have happened bc that's not what happened. I am not positive, but I think I've seen threads on here where people who admit to drug use but who test clean still get approved. Seems like they've loosened the rules up a bit recently?

The only other option is to lie, which people on here agree is not a good idea. I do wonder though what proportion of people do lie - I think a huge percentage of people have at least tried marijuana.

it depends on the consulate and if it was a one time thing or habitual. If habitual the ban would likely be in place.

Timeline

He would still have to say yes to using drugs.

Cleansing is unnecessary, that's what your liver does. Changing your diet a few weeks before testing doesn't change anything.

The document you were required to print out and bring with you to the Medical tells you what to expect. It literally states (Physical Exam, Chest X-Ray, and Blood Test). I mean what did you think they were drawing blood for, there are many drugs that don't show up in a urine sample, a blood test is the best way to analyze for drug usage. It is just most employers don't use this method, because the cost of a blood test is far far greater than a urine sample.

Thanks for the supportive comment.

Timeline

Not all consulates tests for drugs in the blood test. They only test for syphilis.

Not all consulates tests for drugs in the blood test. They only test for syphilis.

That's the impression we were under. We are incredibly stupid for not looking further into it, but we are obviously paying the price.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.