Basab

Tourist B-2 Visa Declined - Planning to apply K-1 Visa

31 posts in this topic

OP: No one can truly tell you if a K1 is right for you. The larger question both of you need to consider is what any other couple must: is marriage right for us? Do I love this person enough to be married to them? Am I ready to marry? Am I ready to leave home and family behind to start a new life in a new country? If you can answer all of those questions without big issues cropping up then yes, marriage through this path is right for you.

If you feel that you need more together time, then you'll have to visit her, because she has no real other options.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Sending money is not a good idea and is definitely not evidence of a legitimate relationship.

It could work against you.

Baron555 is absolutely correct. I've seen relationships like your many times on VJ since I was originally here in 2008

The money thing is not a good thing as in K1 Visas, but accepted with marriage visas.

Go visit her again, and see how it goes.

Best wishes on your journeys.

AOS in the USA.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

She was correctly denied a B2, she has no ties to home and the minute she mentioned boyfriend in their eyes gives her reason to not go home. There is nothing unfair about it. You should not be sending her money. You stated you that 5 months was not long enough to know if she wants to marry you and a K-1 visa is not an I need to get to know you better before we marry visa, it's a visa to get married. The obvious answer if you want to get to know her better is to take another trip to see her.

Im new on the forum and learning the ropes around here and picking up alot of great information. I just want to point out something and I am not trying to be a jerk.. I think saying to someone that the consulate denied them for a B2 was correctly denied is pretty unfair especially without evidence against the person denied. Also telling someone they shouldnt do something like sending money is their own business for their personal reasons, in fact that is good evidence for a K1.

My fiance was denied twice for a B2 and her drawback was that first time around, she didnt have a job because she was pregnant with our first son. I think the consular agent didnt really think it through because other than that, she had very strong family ties, her older son was enrolled school here, we pay a rent and we lived together here. She also cares with her brother for their elderly grandparents. Her second interview was held by the same person and he actually became annoyed and told her she was back within 9 months of her last application and nothing has changed. She tried to explain that she didnt understand during her first visit that the interview had to be proving her strong ties. He told her to get married (which we had plans to do anyway).

In any event maybe I am nitpicking I just felt that post above was a bit harsh. I hope they make it fine on their K1 and all things work out fine. A woman (or man for that matter) being denied is an emotional blow, especially if you are truthful.

Thanks for reading ...

K1 Journey Begins

NOA1 on March 3, 2016

NOA2 on May 26, 2016

NVC Rcvd Case June 13, 2016

NVC Case and Rcpt # June 16, 2016

Case to Embassy June 16, 2016

Case Ready at Embassy June 20, 2016

Lab July 8 for minor and July 11, 2016 for Fiance

Medical July 11, 2016

Biometrics ACS July 12, 2016

Interview Approved July 14, 2016

Visa Issued via DHL July 16

Visa Arrived July 1

POE September 23, 2016 JFK

Marriage !!!!!!!!!!!! September 30, 2016

Next Step AOS..........

• November 12, 2016 - Express mail to Chicago Lockbox
  • December 5, 2016 - Electronic Notifiaction for AOS, rcvd 11/15
  • December 11, 2016 - NOA1 for EAD, 765 and 485, also accepted fingerprint fee.
  • December 28, 2016 - Biometrics
  • February 14 - EAD  & Advanced Parole Approved and being mailed. 
  • May 4 2017. Approved without interview, Card being Produced
  • May 7, 2017 recvd approval for i485
  • May 10 2017 rcvd Green Cards in mail.!!
  • Next step in 20 months to remove conditions.

Removal of Conditions Begins by end of first week of February

• February 5, 2019   - Printing package;
  • February 11, 2019 - ROC package mailed;
  • February 13, 2019 - Package delivered to Dallas Tx;
  • February 15, 2019 - Credit Card Charged;
  • February 19, 2019 - Electronic Notification Rec'd, Case Location LIN - Nebraska;
  • February 21, 2019 - Received NOA with 18 month extension for wife ONLY, not 14yo dependent who is on application;
  • March 12, 2019      - Notified USCIS that we never rcvd i797 for 14 yo minor, they provided a case # and submitted a Svc Request
  • May 2.2019             -  No forward motion, we called again and despite there was an officer assigned to this service request nothing happened/ no extension. We filed an InfoPass and have an appointment for Monday 6th for passport stamp.
  • May 6, 2019 - Attended InfoPass appointment in Philadelphia local USCIS local office for 930. This was for a never rcvd 797 for our 14yo dependent. Arrived 9:15, not crowded at all. No extra photos or fingerprint taken. We were in the car (lots of parking available) at 945. Pleasant female officer, she updated and checked for no changes. Stamped passport, explained is valid for 1 year. The took the green card which expired 5/4/19. No issues or problems.. I asked about the non receipt and she said it's pretty common.. 
  • August 23 - Biometrics NOA, scheduled for 9/3 @1pm
  • September 3 - Biometrics
  • September 4 -Fingerprint Review was completed
  • January 8 - ROC, Card Being Processed, Citizenship is next!
  • January 15 2020  - Cards Delivered

N400 Citizenship :)

• November 28, 2020     - N400 Filed online and paid via CC
  • November 28, 2020     - NOA received electronically

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Im new on the forum and learning the ropes around here and picking up alot of great information. I just want to point out something and I am not trying to be a jerk.. I think saying to someone that the consulate denied them for a B2 was correctly denied is pretty unfair especially without evidence against the person denied. Also telling someone they shouldnt do something like sending money is their own business for their personal reasons, in fact that is good evidence for a K1.

My fiance was denied twice for a B2 and her drawback was that first time around, she didnt have a job because she was pregnant with our first son. I think the consular agent didnt really think it through because other than that, she had very strong family ties, her older son was enrolled school here, we pay a rent and we lived together here. She also cares with her brother for their elderly grandparents. Her second interview was held by the same person and he actually became annoyed and told her she was back within 9 months of her last application and nothing has changed. She tried to explain that she didnt understand during her first visit that the interview had to be proving her strong ties. He told her to get married (which we had plans to do anyway).

In any event maybe I am nitpicking I just felt that post above was a bit harsh. I hope they make it fine on their K1 and all things work out fine. A woman (or man for that matter) being denied is an emotional blow, especially if you are truthful.

Thanks for reading ...

You have it back to front they do not need to prove anything.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

It is difficult to provide documents and proof regarding what someones mindset is. You can have paper ties but that doesnt guarantee they will go back either. I truly understand the difficult position the interviewer can be in but not everyone is lying to enter a country and illegally stay. Remaining illegally is frightening scenario as well.

Thanks for you input.

K1 Journey Begins

NOA1 on March 3, 2016

NOA2 on May 26, 2016

Medical July 11, 2016

Visa Arrived July 1

Next Step AOS..........

• February 19, 2019 - Electronic Notification Rec'd, Case Location LIN - Nebraska;
  • February 21, 2019 - Received NOA with 18 month extension for wife ONLY, not 14yo dependent who is on application;
  • March 12, 2019      - Notified USCIS that we never rcvd i797 for 14 yo minor, they provided a case # and submitted a Svc Request
  • May 2.2019             -  No forward motion, we called again and despite there was an officer assigned to this service request nothing happened/ no extension. We filed an InfoPass and have an appointment for Monday 6th for passport stamp.
  • May 6, 2019 - Attended InfoPass appointment in Philadelphia local USCIS local office for 930. This was for a never rcvd 797 for our 14yo dependent. Arrived 9:15, not crowded at all. No extra photos or fingerprint taken. We were in the car (lots of parking available) at 945. Pleasant female officer, she updated and checked for no changes. Stamped passport, explained is valid for 1 year. The took the green card which expired 5/4/19. No issues or problems.. I asked about the non receipt and she said it's pretty common.. 

Timeline

You have it back to front they do not need to prove anything.

Im sorry, what do you mean? Doesn't the interviewee have to prove they have close ties to their home country? After her first denial, that is what we read exactly on many forums. You aren't forewarned that you have to prove your ties but in the end that seems that you have to do exactly that. Correct me if am wrong.

K1 Journey Begins

NOA1 on March 3, 2016

NOA2 on May 26, 2016

Medical July 11, 2016

Visa Arrived July 1

Next Step AOS..........

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
pretty unfair especially without evidence against the person denied

I was responding to to your earlier comment, proof is is impossible, reason to believe may be a better standard.

All I know about your situation is what you have posted on this thread, hardly surprising if that is a fair summary.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline

You're calling her your girlfriend, so the K1 isn't the right visa. Its for people who are committed to getting married as soon as the immigrant arrives. They give you 90 days to make wedding plans, not to date and get to know one another.

Unfortunately, its very common for visitor visa denials. We as US citizens are privileged because we can generally travel anywhere we want in the world. Its not the case for people who want to visit here.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

OP has only met her once, said himself far to early. Sending her money worries me, why?

I just choose to send money out of generosity. She do not want it and never asked for it. I probably would not give her any money had she asked for it, which would send me a wrong signal. Her family is poor and it makes me feel good to give her. She is very grateful. She just found a new job in a hotel as receptionist and was very excited.

It is indeed far too early which is why I want to visit her again before deciding on the K-1. Marrying someone is no joke.

Why do you think it was unfair?

While its the normal practice to deny B-2 visa unless she has strong ties with her native country, we thought it was unfair because all she wanted to do was visit me for two weeks. We mentioned in the application that she just needs a two week visa. I am busy here with a 2 businesses and a full time job. It will cost me way too much to visit Thailand. Bringing her to US would be cost effective. I have had many friends visit me from different countries and they never had a problem getting a tourist visa. I never intended for her to overstay. We had the funds and showed all proofs that she has ties to Thailand. So I thought it was unfair.

02/01/2016 - B-2 Visa declined

03/05/2016 - B-2 Visa reapplied

03/18/2016 - B-2 Visa declined

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

You're calling her your girlfriend, so the K1 isn't the right visa. Its for people who are committed to getting married as soon as the immigrant arrives. They give you 90 days to make wedding plans, not to date and get to know one another.

Unfortunately, its very common for visitor visa denials. We as US citizens are privileged because we can generally travel anywhere we want in the world. Its not the case for people who want to visit here.

At this point she is not a fiance. She is just a girlfriend. So K-1 is not the right visa. I would visit her once more spend some time - take pictures etc. Then decide about K-1. Thank You.

She was correctly denied. she had no ties at all, really.

True.

OP: No one can truly tell you if a K1 is right for you. The larger question both of you need to consider is what any other couple must: is marriage right for us? Do I love this person enough to be married to them? Am I ready to marry? Am I ready to leave home and family behind to start a new life in a new country? If you can answer all of those questions without big issues cropping up then yes, marriage through this path is right for you.

If you feel that you need more together time, then you'll have to visit her, because she has no real other options.

Agree and I have to find that out myself.

Baron555 is absolutely correct. I've seen relationships like your many times on VJ since I was originally here in 2008

The money thing is not a good thing as in K1 Visas, but accepted with marriage visas.

Go visit her again, and see how it goes.

Best wishes on your journeys.

If she asked for money and I gave her money - then I have a bigger problem than Visa. She never ask for money. She spend her whole savings on me whatever little she had when I visited her. I give her because I feel good about it. She is poor. Me sending her money won't be part of the K-1 application.

Sending money is not a good idea and is definitely not evidence of a legitimate relationship.

It could work against you.

Why you think so ?

She was correctly denied a B2, she has no ties to home and the minute she mentioned boyfriend in their eyes gives her reason to not go home. There is nothing unfair about it. You should not be sending her money. You stated you that 5 months was not long enough to know if she wants to marry you and a K-1 visa is not an I need to get to know you better before we marry visa, it's a visa to get married. The obvious answer if you want to get to know her better is to take another trip to see her.

She did not mention boyfriend in the first application. She got denied which is a norm because she could not prove strong ties.

02/01/2016 - B-2 Visa declined

03/05/2016 - B-2 Visa reapplied

03/18/2016 - B-2 Visa declined

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

My wife of 5 years has been rejected twice.

She owns a house and property

She has money in the bank

We live where I can throw a stone and hit any number relatives, mother, brothers and sisters, etc.

She is nearing 50.

She works but does work for a number of companies on contract basis

I have been retired living here for 5 years.

The interview

The interviewer barely glances at the docs

question 1, asked in Thai "How do you spend money?" My wife answers in Thai " I don't understand what you mean." He goes to next question.

question 2 asked in English " Why does your husband like living in Thailand?" My wife answers as best she could, since she is not me.

Next he wants to see my passport, My wife gives him copies of all the pages. He says "No. I want to see the original". In Thailand the law states that all foreigners MUST have their passports with them at all times. I am out in front of the embassy since I am not allowed in for the interview, but he won't let her go and get it. REJECTED

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.