tm81663

Travel Insurance Required for Nephew?

51 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

We're not talking about visiting from the UK though. One of the biggest travel insurers, Lloyd's is based in the UK so there likely wouldn't be an issue. Not every insurer in every country is going to be recognized by US hospital billing. That's the difference between the hospital billing the insurer or billing the patient.

If I'm going to get a $20000 hospital charge, my preference would be to pay $1500 and let the insurer be billed for the rest. Me paying $20000 and filing a claim myself to get $18500 back from the insurer may be the same in the long run, but it's not the way I want to do it. Good visitor insurance plans work the first way, but there are many plans out there that are not good.

I can see you are not familiar with Insurance and specifically Travel Insurance.

That is not how it works.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

I can see you are not familiar with Insurance and specifically Travel Insurance.

That is not how it works.

The title says travel insurance, but the question the OP asked is specifically about visitors medical insurance. That's exactly how it works. What you have used, travel insurance, is a different product. Some similarities, but it's not designed for the same thing. If my link wasn't redacted, you could have taken a look for yourself. Several stories on that site from people who bought their medical insurance from overseas and it's not worth the paper it's printed on here in the US.

If you have a specific suggestion of a policy for the OP, perhaps let them know. The 2 plans I listed, we have purchased for visitors many times. The billing works just like any other PPO network plan. They are policies specifically designed for what the OP asked.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Timeline

The title says travel insurance, but the question the OP asked is specifically about visitors medical insurance. That's exactly how it works. What you have used, travel insurance, is a different product. Some similarities, but it's not designed for the same thing. If my link wasn't redacted, you could have taken a look for yourself. Several stories on that site from people who bought their medical insurance from overseas and it's not worth the paper it's printed on here in the US.

If you have a specific suggestion of a policy for the OP, perhaps let them know. The 2 plans I listed, we have purchased for visitors many times. The billing works just like any other PPO network plan. They are policies specifically designed for what the OP asked.

Like I said before you are way out of your comfort zone, Travel Insurance is a package of several different covers. Medical and Emergency Travel costs are perhaps the most obvious especially when it comes to the US, but Liability, Baggage etc come to mind.

I only dealt with Corporate Insurance, I am not familiar with Domestic Lines in Mexico, AXA certainly was a major player and I am sure still is.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Like I said before you are way out of your comfort zone, Travel Insurance is a package of several different covers. Medical and Emergency Travel costs are perhaps the most obvious especially when it comes to the US, but Liability, Baggage etc come to mind.

I only dealt with Corporate Insurance, I am not familiar with Domestic Lines in Mexico, AXA certainly was a major player and I am sure still is.

I know what travel insurance is. I think you failed to see what they are actually looking for the first post. They are asking about health insurance.

The plans I listed are comprehensive visitors medical insurance plans. They are not travelers insurance. When you are specifically interested in health insurance, comprehensive visitors medical insurance is a far better and more appropriate product than travel insurance.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Timeline

I know what travel insurance is. I think you failed to see what they are actually looking for the first post. They are asking about health insurance.

The plans I listed are comprehensive visitors medical insurance plans. They are not travelers insurance. When you are specifically interested in health insurance, comprehensive visitors medical insurance is a far better and more appropriate product than travel insurance.

You are horribly horribly wrong.

Timeline

You are horribly horribly wrong.

:lol: I've been horribly wrong before, but never horribly horribly wrong.

Anyway google is your friend. You don't have to take my word for it, but I can point you in the right direction. If I'm wrong, so are the insurance agents, because they'll tell you the same thing.

http://www.visitorscoverage.com/visitor-medical-insurance/

Visitors Medical Insurance from the USA

If you are visiting USA, considering buying travel insurance from USA. A US based travel medical insurance is recognized by a larger number of hospitals and doctors in USA compared to international policies. Convenience, 24/7 customer support, peace of mind and hassle-free claims are some of the benefits of buying policies from a US based insurance company.

US based major health insurance companies, including United Health Care, MetLife Insurance, Aetna Insurance, Kaiser Insurance, BlueCross Insurance, BlueShield Insurance, and AAA Insurance do not offer travel or Visitor Insurance for foreign visitors coming to America. Visitor medical insurance is offered by specialty insurance companies.

Here is a list of some of the best US based Visitor Medical Insurance Plans.

Travel Insurance from Your Home Country

There are several non-US companies that provide Travel Medical Insurance. A non-US visitor insurance policy may not provide the same level of coverage as a US-based insurance company. There are several differences in insurance purchased from home country vs. US-based insurance provider.

A major disadvantage with these policies is that they are not accepted by many of the hospitals and doctors in USA. Hence, when you need to claim your expenses later on, you may encounter a lot of paper work, correspondence, and frustrating follow ups.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Timeline

As an amusement I did take the Colorado Exam to be an Insurance Agent, reminded me of the level required to pass the Colorado Drivers License exam...

So ignoring the fact they are trying to sell you something, taking this logic if you say for example want to vacation in Mexico you should buy Medical Insurance in Mexico.

Must be really complicated for people taking a cruise with many stop offs..

Timeline

As an amusement I did take the Colorado Exam to be an Insurance Agent, reminded me of the level required to pass the Colorado Drivers License exam...

So ignoring the fact they are trying to sell you something, taking this logic if you say for example want to vacation in Mexico you should buy Medical Insurance in Mexico.

Must be really complicated for people taking a cruise with many stop offs..

If you took the exam, then you are probably qualified to recommend a good policy for the OP. The policies I listed, Atlas America and Patriot America are already highly recommended. In fact that's how we ended up using them for years every time the inlaws visited. Started with google and then a lot of comparison. Worked well for us. All plans are the same until you actually need to use one. Ours worked well when we did.

Many other choices of course, but I'm recommending based on what we used and what worked well for us. Trip cancellation, lost luggage, emergency medical only, repatriation of remains - those were never a concern for me. If they were, we may have selected something different. For health coverage, those 2 plans were the best available at the time.

I don't have a recommendation for a Mexican vacation because I have never done that. As I said in general though, visitors health insurance when travelling to the USA is a whole different animal than travelling to other countries.

Edited by Dakine10

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Let him check that with a Mexican insurance company.

I used travel insurance from US when I visited Costa Rica. I didn't have to look for one in CR. Would you rather be dealing with an insurance company in a foreign country than your resident country? I get frustrated with the ones here over the long call waits but to think that it will be convenient for a visitor? oh my!

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Timeline

Let him check that with a Mexican insurance company.

I used travel insurance from US when I visited Costa Rica. I didn't have to look for one in CR. Would you rather be dealing with an insurance company in a foreign country than your resident country? I get frustrated with the ones here over the long call waits but to think that it will be convenient for a visitor? oh my!

The visitor is a 10 year old child. Consent for medical care in the USA, including financial , will be the responsibility of his aunt and uncle here in the USA. Minors cannot consent to treatment or or financial responsibility.

I would certainly look at all options, but I wouldn't assume it to be easier to deal with a company in Mexico in this case.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Timeline

The visitor is a 10 year old child. Consent for medical care in the USA, including financial , will be the responsibility of his aunt and uncle here in the USA. Minors cannot consent to treatment or or financial responsibility.

I would certainly look at all options, but I wouldn't assume it to be easier to deal with a company in Mexico in this case.

it would be easier to deal with an insurance company in Mexico for sure.. If you haven't been on a customer service help line, try it.

Try resolving issues with an American company whiles living outside US ..it is even worse when you are not an American.

Mexico is not an awful place. Their system is very developed contrary to what you might think. Sometimes American companies are totally clueless when dealing with foreign entities.

OP should look at local comprehensive travel insurance. A US one will charge "an arm and a leg" especially due to the duration and the urgency.

Have you used a travel insurance before?? i am just curious.

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Timeline

it would be easier to deal with an insurance company in Mexico for sure.. If you haven't been on a customer service help line, try it.

Try resolving issues with an American company whiles living outside US ..it is even worse when you are not an American.

Mexico is not an awful place. Their system is very developed contrary to what you might think. Sometimes American companies are totally clueless when dealing with foreign entities.

OP should look at local comprehensive travel insurance. A US one will charge "an arm and a leg" especially due to the duration and the urgency.

They live here in the USA. The child is not the one who will be dealing with the insurance company. All the information you have asked has already been posted. It is relevant to the discussion.

If they have to use a hospital here in the USA, and the financially responsible party lives in the USA, I fail to see why you think it's going to be easier to deal with a company in Mexico.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Timeline

I think I know the answer.

Timeline

I think I know the answer.

I already said I have purchased visitors health insurance for the inlaws to visit the USA every year. And we've actually had to use it. I've had to pay the bills, I've had to call for pre-certification, and I spent a great deal of time looking for a plan that would actually be accepted for direct bill at a US hospital with an in network contracted rate. That's a situation that's actually relevant to the original post. What somebody purchased to visit Costa Rico or Mexico is actually a different question.

There is more than one way to go about it, and I don't discourage anyone from looking at all options, but the OP was asking for actual examples, and I offered mine. If you have one, please share. Generic advice is not that helpful in this situation, neither is calling out my credibility when you aren't taking the time to offer anything specific.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Timeline

They live here in the USA. The child is not the one who will be dealing with the insurance company. All the information you have asked has already been posted. It is relevant to the discussion.

(1) If they have to use a hospital here in the USA, and (2)the financially responsible party lives in the USA, (3) I fail to see why you think it's going to be easier to deal with a company in Mexico.

The child is not their responsibility unless they have been delegated responsibility by the child's parents. There's no law that requires a host to have health insurance for their guest.They are only trying to protect themselves if something bad should happen.. it is not a law and stop repeating it to make it seem like it is.

OP only stated that they want the child to come an visit her family this summer in Michigan.

Now, let me address the underlined parts for you.

(1) it doesn't matter where the hospital is, if the insurance company covers you in that country, its good...That's why it is called TRAVEL insurance.

(2) OP is not required to assume any financial responsibility for the visitor. Regardless of age. That's why B-1/B-2 visas are given based on the applicant's own MERIT.

OP is only trying to look out for herself. Example, in case of an accident on her watch and/or at her residence, she could be sued..

(3) I still don't get why you don't understand that part. OP were to allow the child's family to acquire a travel insurance for their child (because it is their responsibility), then it is best to use a Travel insurance company in Mexico. Because, insurance claims take a while to clear and by that time, the child would probably be in Mexico. Try dealing with a US company or even average folks who are unfamiliar with paperwork from outside US & Canada.Top it with translation...

I bet it would be cheaper to get a travel insurance for the child period.

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.