SKingy1

PASSPORT RENEWAL

100 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Can anyone tell me how to get a passport photo for an Irish passport here in the states?? I've tried several places, but they keep getting returned first for size now because they said eyes to dark can't do a eye scan :-(

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I have a question about getting issued a "new" passport. To TRY and make a long story short, I came to the States in 1985, on my mother's passport (as I was only five). Due to my father's work, we ended up staying here, however he never went through the necessary steps to continue our Visa, or have us become permanent residents, therefore, I'm now stuck in a bind trying to figure all of this out on my own (which has been great fun, let me tell you!!). Anyway, I'm now stuck. I recently married, my husband filed the paperwork for me, and I filed the I-485 and I-765. I received my notice to go to my biometrics on 7/20. I do NOT have a government issued ID because of all of this, so they would not allow me in to the exam. I have been told by a few people that I need to get my British passport. It seems that it's considered a new passport for me since I never held my own, and I was born before 1982, and a citizen, I shouldn't have an issue getting one. Because of the headache and the continuous let downs that I've been through in the past few months, I figured I would ask if anyone has been in a similar situation before I fork out more money to get the passport and then find it's not the resolution? Thanks to anyone with any information, it's greatly appreciated!!!!!!

Jacidy, I'm afraid I cannot comment too much on the immigration process itself, since I came over on a K1 visa and my case was pretty straightforwards compared to yours. However, if memory serves me correctly (and this was a year back now, so keep in mind that it is a bit hazy in my mind now) when I went for my biometrics appointment all I needed was my appointment letter, my passport and (I think) my marriage license. I seem to recall that at the time of applying for my visa and attending my biometrics appointment, I did not have any form of state ID because they would not issue it to me. I should have applied for a temporary state ID in the three months that my K1 was valid (after I arrived in the US), but I left it too long and they would not issue me one until I had my green card.

I seem to recall having read that it isn't impossible to get a new UK passport in the US. You'll have to go over to the British Embassy and have an interview (if I remember correctly), but I don't think it's too much harder than that.

Sorry I can't offer more information.

Can anyone tell me how to get a passport photo for an Irish passport here in the states?? I've tried several places, but they keep getting returned first for size now because they said eyes to dark can't do a eye scan :-(

I got mine done online at a place called www.passpic.com . You need to take the picture yourself, then upload it to the website and they'll send it to you at the right size. Apparently, according to the website, they do check whether the picture is at the right standard to be accepted for applications. I've used them twice, with no problems either time. You just need to be sure to take the picture in a well lit place with a light background behind you.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

I got mine done online at a place called www.passpic.com . You need to take the picture yourself, then upload it to the website and they'll send it to you at the right size. Apparently, according to the website, they do check whether the picture is at the right standard to be accepted for applications. I've used them twice, with no problems either time. You just need to be sure to take the picture in a well lit place with a light background behind you.

Thanks

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.”

Hi everyone,

I have a question about getting issued a "new" passport. To TRY and make a long story short, I came to the States in 1985, on my mother's passport (as I was only five). Due to my father's work, we ended up staying here, however he never went through the necessary steps to continue our Visa, or have us become permanent residents, therefore, I'm now stuck in a bind trying to figure all of this out on my own (which has been great fun, let me tell you!!). Anyway, I'm now stuck. I recently married, my husband filed the paperwork for me, and I filed the I-485 and I-765. I received my notice to go to my biometrics on 7/20. I do NOT have a government issued ID because of all of this, so they would not allow me in to the exam. I have been told by a few people that I need to get my British passport. It seems that it's considered a new passport for me since I never held my own, and I was born before 1982, and a citizen, I shouldn't have an issue getting one. Because of the headache and the continuous let downs that I've been through in the past few months, I figured I would ask if anyone has been in a similar situation before I fork out more money to get the passport and then find it's not the resolution? Thanks to anyone with any information, it's greatly appreciated!!!!!!

Jacidy, I'm afraid I cannot comment too much on the immigration process itself, since I came over on a K1 visa and my case was pretty straightforwards compared to yours. However, if memory serves me correctly (and this was a year back now, so keep in mind that it is a bit hazy in my mind now) when I went for my biometrics appointment all I needed was my appointment letter, my passport and (I think) my marriage license. I seem to recall that at the time of applying for my visa and attending my biometrics appointment, I did not have any form of state ID because they would not issue it to me. I should have applied for a temporary state ID in the three months that my K1 was valid (after I arrived in the US), but I left it too long and they would not issue me one until I had my green card.

I seem to recall having read that it isn't impossible to get a new UK passport in the US. You'll have to go over to the British Embassy and have an interview (if I remember correctly), but I don't think it's too much harder than that.

Sorry I can't offer more information.

Thank you for your response. Right, I'm not able to get a government issued ID anymore, however I was when I first arrived. This issue I'm facing is that I'm basically being told that getting my British Passport is my only option. I'm not aware of having an interview done though? I did find that I can fill out the application and send along the fee, and they should be able to just send it to me? Does that sound correct? I'm thinking I should call the embassy to see if they can assist me because at this point I'm not sure what else to do. When I went to the biometrics they mentioned having my passport as form of ID to get in, but I have never had my own, I was always on my mother's.

Thanks again for your information!

Timeline
Thank you for your response. Right, I'm not able to get a government issued ID anymore, however I was when I first arrived. This issue I'm facing is that I'm basically being told that getting my British Passport is my only option. I'm not aware of having an interview done though? I did find that I can fill out the application and send along the fee, and they should be able to just send it to me? Does that sound correct? I'm thinking I should call the embassy to see if they can assist me because at this point I'm not sure what else to do. When I went to the biometrics they mentioned having my passport as form of ID to get in, but I have never had my own, I was always on my mother's.

Thanks again for your information!

Since this will be your first time applying for a British passport, I believe that everyone is required to attend an interview. I certainly did when I applied for my passport (in England), back in 2008. The interview is not anything to be worried about-they mainly will just want to ask some questions to make sure that you are you. I can't remember exactly what they asked me, but I think most of the questions were just meant to confirm the information I'd entered on the application form. I remember being a little anxious about it when I went for mine, but it's more of a formality really. The staff there were very nice and friendly, and it was over with in about 10 minutes. If I remember correctly, they will schedule your interview automatically/send you information on how to schedule one yourself once they receive your application.

Of course, I'm speaking from having applied for a passport whilst in England, so it might be different when applying from another country.

Edited by FrostyMist

Since this will be your first time applying for a British passport, I believe that everyone is required to attend an interview. I certainly did when I applied for my passport (in England), back in 2008. The interview is not anything to be worried about-they mainly will just want to ask some questions to make sure that you are you. I can't remember exactly what they asked me, but I think most of the questions were just meant to confirm the information I'd entered on the application form. I remember being a little anxious about it when I went for mine, but it's more of a formality really. The staff there were very nice and friendly, and it was over with in about 10 minutes. If I remember correctly, they will schedule your interview automatically/send you information on how to schedule one yourself once they receive your application.

Of course, I'm speaking from having applied for a passport whilst in England, so it might be different when applying from another country.

Thanks everyone for your input. Another question that I have is can I just go to the embassy and apply for the passport there? Reason I ask is, I spoke with an attorney, and I basically need to get this as soon as possible. Either my passport, or at least some type of document with my picture ID so that I can get my biometrics done. Does anyone have any experience in this? Thanks!

• 1 month later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Hey all,

Sarah sent her passport renewal in at the end of June. The delivery confirmation shows it was received July 1st. Fee has come out of the account already, but no passport in hand. We've gotten nothing back so kind of wondering what's going on. I know on their website there's a hotline to call, but it's a credit card payment line, so my question is...we're going on 3 months of nothing, is there anyone we could call besides the credit card line? Getting a bit worried, as we're planning on going back home in December, and my wife is currently in passport limbo :(

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

K1 Visa Process:

I-129F Sent : 2008-05-23

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-05-28

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-10-01

NVC Received : 2008-10-03

NVC Left : 2008-10-21

Consulate Received : 2008-10-24

Packet 3 Received : 2008-11-06

Packet 3 Sent : 2008-11-10

Packet 4 Received : 2008-12-04

Interview Date : 2009-01-13 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!

Visa Received : 2009-01-19

US Entry : 2009-02-11

AOS:

Date Filed : 2009-04-14

NOA Date : 2009-04-20

Bio. Appt. : 2009-04-30

AOS Transfer: 2009-05-06

Approval / Denial Date : 2009-08-07 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!

Greencard Received: 2009-08-21

ROC:

CIS Office : California Service Center

Date Filed : 2011-07-22

NOA Date : 2011-07-25

Bio. Appt. : 2011-08-25

Approved : 2011-10-21 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!

Green Card Received : 2011-10-26

event.png

Timeline

Hey all,

Sarah sent her passport renewal in at the end of June. The delivery confirmation shows it was received July 1st. Fee has come out of the account already, but no passport in hand. We've gotten nothing back so kind of wondering what's going on. I know on their website there's a hotline to call, but it's a credit card payment line, so my question is...we're going on 3 months of nothing, is there anyone we could call besides the credit card line? Getting a bit worried, as we're planning on going back home in December, and my wife is currently in passport limbo :(

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hi, Jason&Sarah. Almost 3 months is a very long time to wait for your passport. I'd be worried too, if I were you. Aside from the hotline, I'm not sure who to recommend you could get in contact with. Is there an email address or something on the site? That's the only other option I can think to suggest you try. Could you try contacting a mail carrier (my passport came delivered by UPS) to see if maybe they attempted to deliver it to you and couldn't? Maybe they're holding it and you just didn't get the notice that a delivery attempt was made.

Edited by FrostyMist

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to add to this thread, travelling to Peterborough for a same-day passport is the least fun day out I've been on in a long time.

Ready for my grand ol' timeline? Alrighty then!

10-05-10 - Married in California
06-13-11 - I-130 approved
10-13-11 - CASE COMPLETE!
12-02-11 - Interview - 221g due to a washed passport
12-17-11 - POE - YYC (preclearance in Canada)

2011 to 2013 - Life happened

06-26-13 - Divorce finalized

10-07-13 - I-751 divorce filer paperwork journey begins

07-03-14 - ROC interview - approval pending delayed background checks

07-25-14 - APPROVED! 10 year GC is finally in production!

08-01-14 - 10 year GC in hand. The journey has finally ended. :)

2014 to 2020 - Living paperwork-free and focused on me!

11-09-20 - N-400 filed online - welcome back VJ fam!

6-22-21 - Interview in Nashville, approved! And then...

6-22-21 - Pledge of Allegiance taken. Holy shirtballs I'm a US Citizen.

I've spent so many years in the loving arms of the USCIS, but now it's time to fledge. So long, my friends, may all your journeys also end on the doorstep of whatever you're searching for.

• 2 months later...

It may seem like a silly question but when you fill out the Form C1 for name change do I put my maiden name or my new married name when it asks "passport holders" surname?

Naturalization Journey (Based on 5 years as a PR):

November 21st 2016 - Sent N-400 to Dallas Lockbox.

November 30th - Check Cashed.

December 1st - Email/Text Notifications.

December 8th - Hardcopy of NOA received (Priority Date 11/25).

December 9th - Biometrics Appointment Letter received.

December 19th - Biometrics Appointment.

January 4th 2017 - "In Line" for Interview.

June 9th - Online status changed to "Interview was Scheduled".

June 12th - Interview Letter received.

July 19th - Interview (NYC). Requested a "delayed Oath" for after September 4th 2017.

September 11th - Oath Letter received. Honored my request for a delayed Oath Ceremony. 

September 14th - Oath Ceremony.

Can someone tell me please, do i need to send more photos and have them countersigned along with my application if i just simply want to have my name changed in my passport?

Thanks

Michelle

2009 / 03 - Started talking on a social networking site

2009 / 07 / 12 - 1st meeting in Minnesota

2009 / 07 / 26 - Engaged unofficially

2009 / 10 / 15 - 2nd visit to Minnesota

2010 / 03 / 03 - Surprise visit from Michelle and her daughter for my birthday

2010 / 04 / 24 - Michelle's birthday visit to Minnesota... Engaged officially :-)

2010 / 05 / 10 - Sent I-129F

2010 / 05 / 26 - NOA1 Received

2010 / 06 / 26 - Last visit to Minnesota until visa is approved (Hopefully!)

2010 / 07 / 23 - NOA2 Received

2010 / 08 / 04 - London Embassy Received approved petition

2010 / 08 / 10 - P3 Received

2010 / 08 / 16 - P3 Returned

2010 / 08 / 18 - Embassy received P3 (signed for by 'David')

2010 / 08 / 27 - Medical

2010 / 09 / 17 - After several calls to DOS and London Embassy we receive an email from Embassy saying they never received packet 3!!!

2010 / 09 / 18 - Emailed all packet 3 to Embassy (2nd time lucky!)

2010 / 10 / 05 - Interview... APPROVED!!!!!!

2010 / 10 / 13 - Visa Received

2010 / 11 / 22 - POE Minneapolis MN

2010 / 11 / 26 - Married :)))))

2011 / 01 / 04 - Sent AOS, AP and EAD

2011 / 01 / 14 - NOA received

2011 / 02 / 04 - Biometrics

2011 / 02 / 23 - AOS transferered to CSC

2011 / 03 / 02 - Touched

2011 / 03 / 09 - EAD Approved

2011 / 03 / 10 - AP Approved

2011 / 03 / 18 - EAD and AP received :)

2011 / 03 / 31 - AOS Approved!! (without interview)

2011 / 04 / 11 - Green card received

Can someone tell me please, do i need to send more photos and have them countersigned along with my application if i just simply want to have my name changed in my passport?

Thanks

Michelle

From what I have gathered reading this forum is that you don't need your passport photos countersigned if your new pictures still resemble the picture in your passport. If you look drastically different it may need a counter signature. Are you completing the form in your new name?

July 19th - Interview (NYC). Requested a "delayed Oath" for after September 4th 2017.

September 11th - Oath Letter received. Honored my request for a delayed Oath Ceremony. 

Thanks, I've searched everywhere and not one site has given a straight answer..... Yes i will be completing the form in my new name.

2010 / 04 / 24 - Michelle's birthday visit to Minnesota... Engaged officially :-)

2010 / 08 / 27 - Medical

2010 / 09 / 17 - After several calls to DOS and London Embassy we receive an email from Embassy saying they never received packet 3!!!

2011 / 03 / 02 - Touched

• 2 months later...

Hello :)

Anyone renewed their passport recently? Just wondering what the current wait times are? It says 4 weeks from when the fee is taken for a renewal, is that about right?

Thanks!

I got mine back about a month ago... I can't remember exactly how long it took but i was quite surprised because it was a lot less than 4 weeks.

Hope this helps :)

Hello :)

Anyone renewed their passport recently? Just wondering what the current wait times are? It says 4 weeks from when the fee is taken for a renewal, is that about right?

Thanks!

2010 / 08 / 27 - Medical

2011 / 03 / 02 - Touched

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.