SKingy1

PASSPORT RENEWAL

100 posts in this topic

I got mine back about a month ago... I can't remember exactly how long it took but i was quite surprised because it was a lot less than 4 weeks.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it! Great news about your passport coming back so quickly, at least that's one less thing to think about. My passport arrived at the Embassy April 13th, so hopefully it will only be another 2 weeks or so!

Naturalization Journey (Based on 5 years as a PR):

November 21st 2016 - Sent N-400 to Dallas Lockbox.

November 30th - Check Cashed.

December 1st - Email/Text Notifications.

December 8th - Hardcopy of NOA received (Priority Date 11/25).

December 9th - Biometrics Appointment Letter received.

December 19th - Biometrics Appointment.

January 4th 2017 - "In Line" for Interview.

June 9th - Online status changed to "Interview was Scheduled".

June 12th - Interview Letter received.

July 19th - Interview (NYC). Requested a "delayed Oath" for after September 4th 2017.

September 11th - Oath Letter received. Honored my request for a delayed Oath Ceremony. 

September 14th - Oath Ceremony.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I thought I would come back and give everyone an update on my recent passport renewal, especially for those looking for advice on how to renew their British passport. Well...I received a brand spanking new passport in just under 4 weeks. The current processing times (due to the Easter break), are 5 weeks, so I was well within the time frame.

I renewed my passport because I wanted to change my name to my married name. So I am basing my information on a simple renewal, not a long expired or a lost/stolen passport. Here is what I sent with no problems encountered:

Completed C1 form in my new name - I did not get the C1 form countersigned.

2 US SIZED passport photos - I did not crop them down. I did not use computer software. I did not get either passport photo counter-signed.

Marriage Certificate

Birth Certificate

Certfied Check - The only problem with this (I realized too late) is that when it says "4 weeks processing time from when the fee is taken" - I had no idea when the fee was taken! Dohhh!

All in all a very simple process :)

I hope this helped!

July 19th - Interview (NYC). Requested a "delayed Oath" for after September 4th 2017.

September 11th - Oath Letter received. Honored my request for a delayed Oath Ceremony. 

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I thought I would come back and give everyone an update on my recent passport renewal, especially for those looking for advice on how to renew their British passport. Well...I received a brand spanking new passport in just under 4 weeks. The current processing times (due to the Easter break), are 5 weeks, so I was well within the time frame.

I renewed my passport because I wanted to change my name to my married name. So I am basing my information on a simple renewal, not a long expired or a lost/stolen passport. Here is what I sent with no problems encountered:

Completed C1 form in my new name - I did not get the C1 form countersigned.

2 US SIZED passport photos - I did not crop them down. I did not use computer software. I did not get either passport photo counter-signed.

Marriage Certificate

Birth Certificate

Certfied Check - The only problem with this (I realized too late) is that when it says "4 weeks processing time from when the fee is taken" - I had no idea when the fee was taken! Dohhh!

All in all a very simple process :)

I hope this helped!

Thanks for the help!

I was having a huge stress this afternoon about it. I've just got married too and wanting to change my surname so everything's the same. And was just reading all those forms about having to have it resigned and your parents birth certificates. They really don't make it clear on the Embassy website do they?!

Thanks for the help!

I was having a huge stress this afternoon about it. I've just got married too and wanting to change my surname so everything's the same. And was just reading all those forms about having to have it resigned and your parents birth certificates. They really don't make it clear on the Embassy website do they?!

I'm glad I was able to help! :)

Ohh tell me about it, I read the instructions over and over again until I went blue! In the end, I just read this thread and chucked my application in the post box and kept my fingers crossed. I know everyone's situation is different, but I am almost certain you don't need your parents BC at all. As for the counter-signatures, my picture was 7 years old in my old passport so again I just bit the bullet and risked it. Trust me when you send in your application and get your new passport, you'll wonder what all the stress was about.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Long time no post ...........

I am about to get my expired (oops) passport renewed in my married name (traveled 3 times to UK with no problem on maiden name) have everything together old passport, credit authorisation, two photos, marriage certificate. Then came to look here and realise I am the only person who is stating they completed form OL I can see no reason why it doesn't apply but would love some reassurance that somebody else successful;y used this form as opposed to the C1

LifeacrossthePond

Removing Conditions (here we go again)

July 27th I-751 sent to Nebraska

July 30th USPS delivered

Aug 22nd check cashed

Aug 23rd I797C received - case been transferred to California

Aug 29th Biometrics Appt Letter arrived

Sept 12th Biometrics Appt Pittsburgh

Sept 24th email notice of Approval - card ordered !!!!!!

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi all. I will hopefully be getting my K-1 approval in a few weeks and getting married to my American love in November and just starting to try and get my head around all that's to be done after!!!

From reading through this thread am I correct in thinking that I have to wait until I get my AOS/GC before changing the name on my passport. I did read something on the ukinus website that said:

When you apply to amend your passport, we cancel your current passport and issue you with a new one. This means that any visas in your current passport may become invalid. You should check with the local Embassy/visa issuing authority of the country concerned about whether you can use an unexpired visa in a cancelled passport. If not, you will have to reapply for the visa for your new passport.

Thanks for any advice :)

Our Journey
Aug 2nd '11...love at first sight???
Aug 4th '11...first date!
Feb 19th '12...ENGAGED!!!!!

Our I-129 Journey
Feb 23rd '12...I-129F mailed
Feb 28th '12...NOA1
AUGUST 17th '12...NOA2 APPROVED!!!!!

Our VISA Journey!
Aug 27th '12 NVC received petition and issued LND number
Sept 7th '12 ALL forms mailed to embassy!
Sept 10th '12 Medical
NOV 1st '12 INTERVIEW - APPROVED!!!!!

Nov 9th '12 POE Baltimore biggrin.png
Nov 11th '12 WEDDING

Our AOS/ED Journey!
Dec 13th '12 AOS/ED forms sent
Dec 19th '12 NOA1
Jan 11th '13 BIOMETRICS
Feb 11th '13 ED APPROVED!!!

Aug 23rd '13 AOS RFE

Sept 23rd '13 AOS DECISION...APPROVED!!!

Hi all. I will hopefully be getting my K-1 approval in a few weeks and getting married to my American love in November and just starting to try and get my head around all that's to be done after!!!

From reading through this thread am I correct in thinking that I have to wait until I get my AOS/GC before changing the name on my passport. I did read something on the ukinus website that said:

When you apply to amend your passport, we cancel your current passport and issue you with a new one. This means that any visas in your current passport may become invalid. You should check with the local Embassy/visa issuing authority of the country concerned about whether you can use an unexpired visa in a cancelled passport. If not, you will have to reapply for the visa for your new passport.

Thanks for any advice :)

That statement is not an issue to you in that your K1 visa becomes invalid the day you use it to enter the US. You only get to use a K1 for one time. However, you will want your passport for photo ID until you get something else like a greencard or state drivers license. Adjustment of Status will have a biometric appointment and maybe an interview so you'll want your passport for those. Many people don't renew for a married name change until it is about to expire. They travel with their marriage certificate to show the name change or they book tickets in the passport name.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

That statement is not an issue to you in that your K1 visa becomes invalid the day you use it to enter the US. You only get to use a K1 for one time. However, you will want your passport for photo ID until you get something else like a greencard or state drivers license. Adjustment of Status will have a biometric appointment and maybe an interview so you'll want your passport for those. Many people don't renew for a married name change until it is about to expire. They travel with their marriage certificate to show the name change or they book tickets in the passport name.

Thanks Nich-Nick! Yeah i'll just wait :thumbs:

Our Journey
Aug 2nd '11...love at first sight???
Aug 4th '11...first date!
Feb 19th '12...ENGAGED!!!!!

Our I-129 Journey
Feb 23rd '12...I-129F mailed
Feb 28th '12...NOA1
AUGUST 17th '12...NOA2 APPROVED!!!!!

Our VISA Journey!
Aug 27th '12 NVC received petition and issued LND number
Sept 7th '12 ALL forms mailed to embassy!
Sept 10th '12 Medical
NOV 1st '12 INTERVIEW - APPROVED!!!!!

Nov 9th '12 POE Baltimore biggrin.png
Nov 11th '12 WEDDING

Our AOS/ED Journey!
Dec 13th '12 AOS/ED forms sent
Dec 19th '12 NOA1
Jan 11th '13 BIOMETRICS
Feb 11th '13 ED APPROVED!!!

Aug 23rd '13 AOS RFE

Sept 23rd '13 AOS DECISION...APPROVED!!!

• 4 months later...

Just about to renew the kiddo's and my expired passports. Can't find anywhere in town that does UK size photos. #######, I remember Walgreen's used to have an option to change the size but they're swearing that's impossible now. Granted, that was in 2010 when we went to get US size photos for our K-1/2 visas applications. Any ideas?

Also, if I'm changing my name as well as renewing my passport, do I put my old name or new name on the kiddo's application? I'd like to think the UKPA applies a little more common sense to things that the USCIS tends to lol, but it would be a very annoying reason to have it sent back!

Edited by SunDrop

Timeline Summary:

K-1/K-2 NOA1 - POE: 9 February - 9 July 2010

Married: 17 July 2010

AOS mailed - Interview : 22 November 2010 - 10 March 2011

ROC mailed - approved: 14 February - 18 June 2013

Citizenship mailed - ceremony: 9 February - 7 June 2017

VJ K-2 AOS Guide

Just about to renew the kiddo's and my expired passports. Can't find anywhere in town that does UK size photos. #######, I remember Walgreen's used to have an option to change the size but they're swearing that's impossible now. Granted, that was in 2010 when we went to get US size photos for our K-1/2 visas applications. Any ideas?

Also, if I'm changing my name as well as renewing my passport, do I put my old name or new name on the kiddo's application? I'd like to think the UKPA applies a little more common sense to things that the USCIS tends to lol, but it would be a very annoying reason to have it sent back!

I went to Walgreens and got them done in jan 2013. Passport arrived in 3 weeks 2 days after applying. The passport office will trim them. I am not sure if they take the money when all is ok, as it took 2 weeks for the money to leave the credit card.

AOS/EAD/AP Filed:2006-09-23
AP Approved:2006-10-30
EAD Approved!:2006-11-02
AOS Approved!:2007-02-12

Remove Conditions filed:2008-11-13
Green Card Received:2009-01-30

N400 Filed:2013-01-25 (Phoenix)
Biometrics:2013-02-25 (Grand Rapids)
Interview:2013-05-07(Detroit)

Oath Ceremony:2013-05-24(Marquette)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.