SKingy1

PASSPORT RENEWAL

100 posts in this topic

To answer above questions:

I needed to renew my passport, it expired this month. I also wanted to change my surname to my married name.

If you are renewing and/or changing your surname you do not need to send in your mother's birth certificate or your birth certificate.

I was born after January 1 1983. I also had quite outdated photos in my passport.

I sent in my passport, marriage certificate and two new photos. I did not get a countersignature, I did not get the photos signed and I did not submit my birth certificate or any of my parents' documentation (on the form they ask for your parents' passport numbers, and as I did not have them at the time I left those fields blank).

New passport arrived today, in my married name, and with the new updated photo. :)

As long as the passport you are renewing is still current and the photo still reasonably resembles you, you should be fine!

The only thing on their site I wouldn't trust is the timeline they give. I took a bit of a gamble submitting my passport for renewal at the end of November and booking a flight for Christmas. Unfortunately although they were happy to take money out of my account on the 10th December they actually only processed it yesterday. Oh well, lesson learned!

Edited by Alex & Rachel

sharasugar.pngsharanomsugar.png

07/11/2006 - First met

08/22/2008 - K1 Visa in hand

12/27/2008 - Marriage

05/20/2009 - AOS complete

10/06/2011 - ROC complete

04/20/2012 - Annaleah born!

• 5 weeks later...

ok I only got my passport renewed in nov 08 after the photocopier melted it just before my medical. its good till 2019 and obviously in my maiden name.

We are going to book our next trip back home for april 14th 2010 flying back over....do you think we have left it too late to change my maiden name? it says 6 weeks. if we do it tomorrow technically that's with in the time frame as its two months but should we trust them?

Also because we are just changing my name to married name, and the photos in it are relatively up to date (nov 08) and still look like me, do i still need to provide two passport pictures?

It said on the top of the main page that lists the different reasons to renew and what to do. all applications must provide two passport photos.

but then under change of married name it says you do not need to countersign or countersign pictures if picture still looks like you and you already have been issued a passport. i thought just changing my name in uk didn't require new pics so i don't get it? do i need to send new pictures and just not countersign them or the form or do i not need to send pics at all? or should i still get a counter signatory?

So far I know i need to send in the c1 from the $200 and something fee, my current passport and certified copy of marriage certificate.

But what am i missing? Is it the two Photos? the counter signatory? I am pretty confident that I dont need my mums passport number or birth cert as i think i noted their passport numbers when i last renewed and I was born in 82 not 83

Thanks Hannah.

Homer Sez:

Increase your wordiness,

Boudoir:

Where a French guy does it.

Our full time line is in our story on our profile.

K1

04-30-2008.......I-129F POSTED

05-01-2008....NOA1 (Touched 05-04-2008, Touched 04-07-2008)

09-23-2008....NOA2 Approved(See below for receipt of actual NOA2 and update in the USCIS System***)

01-13-2009....INTERVIEW (APPROVED)

02-18-2009....POE (LAX)

04-09-2009....WEDDING

AOS

06-12-2009.....AOS,EAD and AP Fedexed.

06-15-2009.....Signed for by J.CHYBA

06-18-2009.....NOA1 dated for AOS/AP/EAD

06-19-2009.....Check cleared

06-23-2009.....Touched AOS/EAD/AP

07-20-2009.....phoned helpline to report no biometrics appointment sent, Service request generated.

07-25-2009.....Recieved biometrics notice (generated on the 22nd june) for the 08-19-2009.

07-30-2009.....Did early walk in biometrics.

07-31-2009.....Touched AOS/EAD

08-06-2009.....Generated interview notice(received 08/10/09)

08-10-2009.....EAD/AP Approved

08-19-2009.....***NOA2 (Finally received after 6 Phone calls, 11 months late) :)

09-09-2009.....Aos interview.(APPROVED)first card production email

09-12-2009.....Welcome Notice Received.

event.png

rmq4qx3kup.png

1. You probably have enough time left but I thought I had enough time left back at the end of November. It's up to you whether or not you wish to take the risk!

2. I would provide two new passport photos just in case (it's easy enough these days to download a template or find instructions online and print your own - I did this and they were accepted). You don't need to have them countersigned.

3. You're correct that you don't require your mother's birth certificate or her passport number. Just send the form, your passport, your marriage certificate and two photos.

sharasugar.pngsharanomsugar.png

07/11/2006 - First met

08/22/2008 - K1 Visa in hand

12/27/2008 - Marriage

05/20/2009 - AOS complete

10/06/2011 - ROC complete

04/20/2012 - Annaleah born!

• 1 month later...

Hi

I need some help.

I am looking at the passport renewal form and I just want to make sure I am completing the form correctly.

I am requesting a new passport due to change of name. My current passport is in my previous married name so I need to get it changed to my current married name.

On the form it asks if you have been married before - does that question pertain to the question "Are you a married, widowed or divorced woman, whose claim to British nationality is through marriage to a British man before 1 January 1949" the answer I checked as No. Or do I have to give my ex husbands details as well as my current husbands details. I am so confused and the notes do not seem very clear.

Also am I right in thinking I will just need to submit my old passport and my marriage certificate (will a copy do?) and 2 new passport photographs?

Thank you

08/15/08 I-751 submitted to VSC

10/01/08 Biometrics completed

03/02/09 Case transferred to CSC

04/04/2009 Received approval letter

03/31/2009 Date of Decision

05/01/2009 Card production ordered

05/07/2009 Received card

In matters of style,

swim with the current;

in matters of principle,

stand like a rock.

- Thomas Jefferson

• 2 months later...

Anybody recently renewed their passport? I need to go back to the UK asap, wondering what the wait time is at the moment.

Anybody recently renewed their passport? I need to go back to the UK asap, wondering what the wait time is at the moment.

My husband recently renewed his. It took about four weeks. The process was less than seamless because there was a supposed problem w/ his credit card number and they sent the whole package back. (Read all about my kvetch here! http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/246200-passport-processing-is-taking-forever/.)

We sent the application UPS 2-day to speed things up & minimize the lost-mail nightmare potential, which cost about $22.

K-1

March 7, 2005: I-129F NOA1

September 20, 2005: K-1 Interview in London. Visa received shortly thereafter.

AOS

December 30, 2005: I-485 received by USCIS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Received 10-year green card February 28, 2008

Your Humble Advice Columnist, Joyce

Come check out the most happenin' thread on VJ: Dear Joyce

Click here to see me visiting with my homebodies.

[The grooviest signature you've ever seen is under construction!]

Thanks for the prompt reply! I just read your link though..what a nightmare :blink: I am thinking of writing a cover letter in hope of a speedy process.

Thanks for the prompt reply! I just read your link though..what a nightmare :blink: I am thinking of writing a cover letter in hope of a speedy process.

No problem! To be honest, I'd be surprised if a letter would help (not to be a pessimist...). Jon included a letter w/ his resubmitted application requesting that it be expedited but figuring it wouldn't be. He provided a brief explanation regarding the urgency of the situation, which centered on Jon's stepfather's ill health and scheduled heart surgery. He did look into emergency passport possibilities, which would have required a trip to the nearest consulate (in our case, LA). This was complicated by the fact that Jon's passport was expired, and the expired passport itself had been sent off to DC...it was all very stressful but fortunately turned out OK (that is, his stepfather somehow survived the surgery, to everyone's surprise). If your passport is expired and you really need to get back to the UK within the month, you may want to look into an emergency passport, which is good for one entry to the UK. I think the assumption is that you can get your new regular passport while back in the UK.

K-1

AOS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update. Payment was taken out on Friday 4th June, I did write a pleading letter, it must have touched someones heart because I got a phone call this morning to say they have processed the passport and it will arrive tomorrow morning and they gave me the tracking number too! I'm so pleased I will get to see my dad before he has his op on Monday...what a relief.

Wow, that's awesome. And they called you! (They must not have liked the look of my husband...)

Best wishes to your dad, and have a safe trip home.

K-1

AOS

OK. So from what I can tell you do not need a counter signature on the C1 form if it's just a normal renewal. I'm also getting lost to how much this thing costs right now. Does anyone have a direct link to the costs? I'm a british citizen living in Los Angeles.

I didn't have a countersignature and my American sized photos were accepted.

http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/passports/passport-fees

The total fee was $204.

Great! Thanks so much! The link is very helpful :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.