kimlynn

F1 visa for Minor sister in the Philippines

20 posts in this topic

I just became a U. S Citizen last year. My husband and I discussed about sponsoring my 15 year old younger sister to study in High School here. I can now petition my parents but they are not ready to come here yet, my mom has to take care of my younger brother, another younger sister and always sick mother (my grandmother). Anyhow, the younger sister that we want to sponsor is more independent and always wanted to study here in the U.S. She wants to immerse her English and experience the culture here. I heard that she can only study in Private High School here. I also heard some people said that it would be very expensive to go to a private school and it would cost around $15,000 to $20,000 per year. I found one private school that looks interesting and close by where we live. We went and talked to the international advisor there, and found out their tuition for one year is around $6900 which is way cheaper compare to the other private school. Now my question is, if ever she gets accepted in the school, how much money to we need to put in the bank so that it looks like we can provide everything she needs here? And having a U.S citizen sister would affect her chance on getting a visa? To those who had an experienced with this please share your ideas. It would be very highly appreciated. Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You should have at least one years tuition plus a reasonable amount for her care in the bank. Make sure this school is listed here https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/school-search

Also check the ratings of the school itself. You don't want to waste money on a bad school. ( they recently busted a private high school in the US that wasn't even really holding classes just collecting money )

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

I just became a U. S Citizen last year. My husband and I discussed about sponsoring my 15 year old younger sister to study in High School here. I can now petition my parents but they are not ready to come here yet, my mom has to take care of my younger brother, another younger sister and always sick mother (my grandmother). Anyhow, the younger sister that we want to sponsor is more independent and always wanted to study here in the U.S. She wants to immerse her English and experience the culture here. I heard that she can only study in Private High School here. I also heard some people said that it would be very expensive to go to a private school and it would cost around $15,000 to $20,000 per year. I found one private school that looks interesting and close by where we live. We went and talked to the international advisor there, and found out their tuition for one year is around $6900 which is way cheaper compare to the other private school. Now my question is, if ever she gets accepted in the school, how much money to we need to put in the bank so that it looks like we can provide everything she needs here? Enough to cover her tuition and independent living expenses. It does not matter that she is living with you. Independent living expenses is required. So figure $20,000 in the bank AND the ability to provide the same amount for each year of study. And having a U.S citizen sister would affect her chance on getting a visa? Yes because it can be viewed as a work around the immigration system. To those who had an experienced with this please share your ideas. It would be very highly appreciated. Thanks!

This is highly unlikely to happen even if you can show $20,000 is available for her education.

Don't waste your money.

You should have at least one years tuition plus a reasonable amount for her care in the bank. Make sure this school is listed here https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/school-search

Also check the ratings of the school itself. You don't want to waste money on a bad school. ( they recently busted a private high school in the US that wasn't even really holding classes just collecting money )

Thank you for the link. Yes, the school is in that list. But you are right I have to check the reputation on that school. It's a secular school and not the most popular school in town. I live in New Orleans by the way. I noticed most catholic school here are very expensive!

This is highly unlikely to happen even if you can show $20,000 is available for her education.

Don't waste your money.

I can afford to take care of her school and expenses, but I see your point and I hardly even hear minors going to united states from the Philippines to study.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I think the other poster is referring to the problem of proving non immigrant intent when you are here and sponsoring her schooling. If the fees to apply aren't an issue , the only answer for not applying is no

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

I think the other poster is referring to the problem of proving non immigrant intent when you are here and sponsoring her schooling. If the fees to apply aren't an issue , the only answer for not applying is no

My younger sister only intention of coming here is to study. If her only intention for coming out here is to stay and maybe work in the future then I would not have her apply for a student visa. I would really insist one of my parents to allow me to petition them, so when they get here they can petition my younger brother and sisters. Anyway, I looked up the private school out here, it's a small school and been here for a long time, and they have really good reviews online and got few international students as well. If my sister gets accepted, do you think it's even worth trying to go to the embassy for an interview? I'm just afraid they will ask her too many questions and she can't answer. ?

Edited by kimlynn

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

so, spend some time to prep her !

look, yer going to be spending either money or time, don't discount the time at all !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

so, spend some time to prep her !

look, yer going to be spending either money or time, don't discount the time at all !

That's true, I might send the school application next week, see if she gets accepted, then I'm going to prepare her for interview.Thank you for the encouragement.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I say go for it, I am surprised that education cost is so low and you might need to explain why, is it subsidised?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I say go for it, I am surprised that education cost is so low and you might need to explain why, is it subsidised?

I don't think it's subsidized (but not sure). As far as I know, it is an independent private school, and it's a very small school and been around since 1948.They have around 16 students per class room. By the way, we live in New Orleans. There are only two non religious school in our area that I know that is qualified to enroll international students. My younger sister prefer non religious school. The other private catholic schools tuition fees here ranges around $9,000-15,000 and the other one secular school is around $8000. This school don't have a lot of extra activities just like other schools, which I can see why it doesn't really attract to many students. They have around 12 international students. She really wants to study here. She wants to be able to write and speak English well. She goes to one of the most expensive private school in our town in the Philippines that supposedly English speaking school, but most of the students speak Tagalog (Filipino). It's way different when she will be around with people that actually speak English. Most schools in the Philippines are religious. She doesn't like the fact that she have to go to a religious class for 1-2 hours once a week or if not, she have to sit outside and wait until they will be over.

I think I still need more info about the school why they are so cheap though.:)

Nonetheless, the CO would have to believe that the minor would be returning to the PI following her education....a huge longshot (due to the 'forgetfulness' of countless thousands of folks from the PI)....

You have a point. But, I think I will just go for it, if she won't be able to get a visa at least I can say I" tried" for her.

She's 15 years old. She can't work. Both parents are in PI. What makes chinese people anymore trustworthy than PI people when it comes to returning home after finishing school. I will still try for her :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.