Behelit

Need help and guidance with a solution to an overstay.

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

The issue was that because I'm in military aviation, certain jets have classified features/equipment on them, and it makes being married to a foreigner a greater strain on the status of that clearance. It's the same for most countries I'd assume, but here in the U.S. the government can be really paranoid sometimes.

She's just a simple girl from Greece, her english is kind of bad, and she doesn't even know how to drive a car, never had a father, and somehow me being married to her is a cause for alarm? I had to listen to my superior officers tell me until they were blue in the face that marrying her right away is not a good idea. So I listened. She will come live with me as my girlfriend in the meantime, and I will marry her after the training.

It was heavily implied that my security clearance would be withdrawn the moment I married her and that it would get me suspended from flight school training status, where they would review it and most 'likely' revoke it, causing me to lose my job.

I need the job to pay for my life and for hers lol, so I have to find a way to keep the security clearance and marry her.

NLR you're right, but do you know any specifics about being a DoD employee in this circumstance?

She will be living with you illegally? That can't be good either

No as my husband works for DoT. I know plenty of AF people are married ro foreign wives. I have a friend who is a retired Chief Master Sergeant and his wife is from Hong Kong I think. However as far as I can read it depends on where the foreign spouse is from. I would figure out who ultimately would give you the answers you seek based on fact not necessarily opinion.

It's illegal for her to remain in the USA at this time and by living with her during her illegal stay you are committing a crime which is a bigger issue than marrying a foreign spouse IMHO. If you want to wait then fine, but don't live with the girl!

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

I found this

https://news.clearancejobs.com/2015/05/07/foreign-born-spouse-security-clearance/

And various other searches that said you need to have her approved before you can get married or even live together by RSI. It really depends on where she is from, her family, their jobs, etc....

https://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/security-clearance-and-foreign-marriage-question.34550/

http://m.govexec.com/excellence/promising-practices/2015/07/four-ways-your-spouse-can-screw-your-security-clearance/116866/?oref=ge-android-interstitial-continue

(Again do NOT live with her!)

http://fedcas.com/resources/clearance-faqs/

Hubs says to talk to the OPM about it.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

• 2 months later...
Filed: Other Country: Greece
Timeline

It's not considered illegal because she isn't doing anything in violation of her overstay, just living at a place I bought. I have several apartments so I'm not technically living with her, but I spend all of my free time with her outside of work. I love her so much. She is not working, driving, anything, just being a good girlfriend to me. She does everything for me around the house, it is wonderful. I just can't lose my job over this and the only thing that makes it difficult is her overstay status. I've contacted several other immigration lawyers who have told me that marrying an overstay will not revoke my security clearance but I have to be sure. I had a background check done on her and called the agency today and am going to meet with them again next week, they said they had information on her that they wanted to discuss with me, but because they didn't call me its not anything bad as far as I know.

We have a real relationship and our marriage will not be fraud. She was held here in the US against her will by the ex-boyfriend so the overstay is not her fault.

Is there anyone here who knows about this specific circumstance? Any stories?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.