R.Ny

Last Names Differ on the Passport and GC.

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
Hi, I came to US on K1 Visa and got married here and my last name changed. My passport has different Last Name (b4 marriage Name) Got GC with My updated Last Name. Now I am planning to visit India.

Just wanna know Can I travel with my old Last Name Passport or Renew My Passport to travel ?

Traveling to India..

I am also confused on what name should I buy ticket.

and If I have to change my passports last name where should I go?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

This was just discussed on another thread I read recently and the answer was that you do not need a new passport. You can use the same passport with your pre-marriage change last name. You buy the ticket using your same name as on your passport.

Maria ~ U.S. Citizen

K-1 & K-2 Process (Completed in 4 mos. 8 days)

1/19/16: I-129F Package recv'd by USCIS via FedEx overnight

4/1/16: NOA2 Approval :dancing:

5/17/16: Interview :star: - APPROVED :dance:

5/25/16 Visas in hand! :thumbs: 

8/5/16: Wedding (L)

AOS/EAD/AP Process, K-1 & K-2 (Completed in 4 mos. 15 days)

9/21/16: Package recv'd by USCIS via FedEx overnight [Day 1]

10/24/16: AOS Cases (I-864) RFIE recv'd hardcopy [Day 29]

12/23/16: AOS Case Status Updates - Interview Scheduled, text recv'd [Day 94] :dancing:

1/17/17: EAD/AP Combo Card recv'd via USPS Priority Mail [Day 119]

1/27/17: AOS Interview :star: - APPROVED!! :dance:  [Day 129 / 120 w/ 9day RFIE delay]

1/27/17: AOS Case status update - Approved | 1/31/17: New Card in Production | 2/1/17: Card Was Mailed

2/4/17: Green Cards Arrived :thumbs:

ROC Process, Spouse & 2 Step-Sons (Completed in 23 mos. 22 days)

1/25/19: Package recv'd by USCIS via FedEx overnight [Day 1]

1/29/19: NOA notice date, text & email recv'd, routed to CSC

2/1/19: NOA 18mo. Extension Letter arrived in the mail, for wife only [Day 7]

3/13/19: Filed SR for non-receipt of NOA for I-751A dependents [Day 48] | 3/21/19: Recv'd NOA for 2 stepsons [Day 56]

4/29/19: Biometrics (Scheduled) Appt Completed [Day 95]

8/28/20: Case Status Update - RFE [Day 582 ~ 19 mos. 4 days] | 11/20/20: Case Status Update - RFE response recv'd [Day 666 ~ 21 mos. 27 days]

1/7/21: Case Status Update - New Card in Production :dance: [Day 714 ~ 23 mos. 14 days] 

1/15/21: Green Cards Arrived :thumbs:[Day 722 ~ 23 mos. 22 days]

All done for now! :)

^^^^------Just to add to this. You will use your GC to return to the US and will have to prove to the airlines that you are the same person. It is recommended to carry Certified copy of you Marriage Certificate to show that your maiden name in your passport and the married name on your GC are in fact the same person. Most issue when traveling internationally with different names is with the airlines. It is also recommended to use a well know airline. The few hundred dollars you save may cost you more in time and aggravation.

Dave

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Yes, book your tickets in your maiden name as they need to match your passport when you check-in. As Dave stated, keep a copy of your marriage certificate with you in case CBP compares your boarding passes to your GC upon re-entry. In the few times my wife has traveled internationally, no one has asked about the difference. As to changing your Indian passport, I would ask that question in the regional board as I don't know how difficult that is.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
Moved from K1 Process & Procedures to General Immigration-Related Discussion.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

My marriage Certificate has my Maiden Name too.

Its only the Green Card I have Married Last Name.

I asked the same question from TSA

they replied me with this...

Passengers who do not have an ID that meets these requirements and bears their name as it appears on their boarding pass should bring whatever IDs or documents they have available. For example, passengers who have legally changed their name, prefer to use their middle name or a nickname, or have misspelled their name on the reservation can present documents such as marriage licenses, birth certificates, or social security cards. There is no set list of what forms of alternative IDs or documents are acceptable. However, the information on one of the items should bear the passenger’s name as it appears on the boarding pass along with other ID information.

If passengers are unable to present an ID or documents that display their name as it appears on their boarding pass (including passengers who have entered misspelled names or use nicknames), or if TSA has questions about the ID presented, the passenger may be asked to assist TSA in the identity verification process. Under this process, TSA may ask the passenger to complete a Certification of Identity form, which requests the passenger’s name and current address, and may ask additional questions of the passenger to confirm his or her identity.

If we are able to confirm the passenger’s identity, the passenger will be cleared to enter the screening checkpoint; however, the individual may be subjected to additional screening. If we are unable to confirm the passenger’s identity, TSA will deny the passenger entry into the security checkpoint. We recommend that passengers arrive at least 2 hours in advance of their flight time to allow ample time for security screening and boarding of aircraft.

Any help will be appreciated.

I just wanna make sure everything will go smooth.

Edited by R.Ny

My marriage Certificate has my Maiden Name too.

Its only the Green Card I have Married Last Name.

I asked the same question from TSA

they replied me with this...

Passengers who do not have an ID that meets these requirements and bears their name as it appears on their boarding pass should bring whatever IDs or documents they have available. For example, passengers who have legally changed their name, prefer to use their middle name or a nickname, or have misspelled their name on the reservation can present documents such as marriage licenses, birth certificates, or social security cards. There is no set list of what forms of alternative IDs or documents are acceptable. However, the information on one of the items should bear the passenger’s name as it appears on the boarding pass along with other ID information.

If passengers are unable to present an ID or documents that display their name as it appears on their boarding pass (including passengers who have entered misspelled names or use nicknames), or if TSA has questions about the ID presented, the passenger may be asked to assist TSA in the identity verification process. Under this process, TSA may ask the passenger to complete a Certification of Identity form, which requests the passenger’s name and current address, and may ask additional questions of the passenger to confirm his or her identity.

If we are able to confirm the passenger’s identity, the passenger will be cleared to enter the screening checkpoint; however, the individual may be subjected to additional screening. If we are unable to confirm the passenger’s identity, TSA will deny the passenger entry into the security checkpoint. We recommend that passengers arrive at least 2 hours in advance of their flight time to allow ample time for security screening and boarding of aircraft.

Any help will be appreciated.

I just wanna make sure everything will go smooth.

For TSA you show them your boarding pass and Passport both in your maiden name. You travel to India and have a good time. There is no issue here at all if you book your ticket in the name on your PASSPORT.

To come back to the US you must have a valid visa, or GC. As a LPR you have a GC. You will show that to the ticket agent to get your boarding pass. This is where you MAY have the most problems. All you should have to do is show them your passport, GC, and Marriage Certificate--your Marriage Certificate has your maiden name on it and your husband's name, correct?--you just state you are now married to your husband with this last name and your passport is in your maiden name and your GC is in your married name. Hopefully you are allowed to board the airplane without any problems and then you arrive in the US. Here you will show the CBP your GC. Lately they have been asking my wife for her passport as well. It has been awhile since we have entered the US together, so we have not gone thru the kiosk as a USC and LPR family.

Dave

I've traveled with my GC(married name) and passport (maiden name) and had no issues.

Just book the ticket under your passport name and bring your marriage certificate. That is all. Don't worry too much.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.