Destiny Child

Spouse does not support in removal of conditions on CR1 visa (merged)

108 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

On the contrary, questions I have are

1. Did he share his income with you and have put your name in his bank accounts?

2. Did he put you as a beneficiary in any insurances?

3. Did he provide for you and for your child(ren) when you have no job / no income?

4. Did he share the property he own with you?

If he did all that for you, don't you think it's only natural for you to return all the favors to him as a couple when you have an income?

If he didn't do any of these for you, I agree with other posters and get a divorce and get a GC under ROC on your own.

Hi Jam

1. He did provide me food, clothing and shelter when I came to USA. No he did not put my name to his bank accounts

2. No he did not put me as beneficiary in any insurances

3. Yes he did

4. No he did not

08 Aug 2013 - Case accepted at USCIS
22 Feb 2014 - case transferred at NVC (post clearance and acceptance at USCIS)
18 Apr 2014 - Paid AOS fees
29 Apr 2014 - Paid IV fees
05 May 2014 - Filled DS 260 form
03 Jun 2014 - Submitted AOS and IV documents
07 Jun 2014 - Acknowledge by telephone representative of AOS & IV documents received
08 Jul 2014 - Checklist from NVC, mentioning list of docs to be brought at Interview
10 Jul 2014 - Interview date confirmation on call
11 Jul 2014 - Received mail notification of Interview on 19 Aug 2014
13 Jul 2014 - Fingerprinting done at VAC Mumbai
11 Aug 2014 - Medical Exam at Rele Clinic Mumbai
19 Aug 2014 - Interview at Mumbai Consulate

Hi Jam

1. He did provide me food, clothing and shelter when I came to USA. No he did not put my name to his bank accounts

3. Yes he did

4. No he did not

What do evidences do you have to prove financial co-mingled for your ROC then?

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Timeline

What do evidences do you have to prove financial co-mingled for your ROC then?

we jointly filed for income tax return last year. Unfortunately, I do not have a copy of it and he does not give me when I asked for it.

I have his name as middle name in salary account.

Does that suffice?

07 Jun 2014 - Acknowledge by telephone representative of AOS & IV documents received
08 Jul 2014 - Checklist from NVC, mentioning list of docs to be brought at Interview

Filed: Country: Myanmar
Timeline

Hi Jam

3. Yes he did

4. No he did not

So, some yes and some no. It begs a bigger question - do you think he has been a good husband to you?

If so, why not share your income with him for your family?

It's entirely different matter if he is blowing your money on the drugs / gambling and boozes.

But if he is using your money for supporting your family with him, what seems to be the problems?

Edited by jam2016

Timeline

So, some yes and some no. It begs a bigger question - do you think he has been a good husband to you?

If so, why not share your income with him for your family?

It's entirely different matter if he is blowing your money on the drugs / gambling and boozes.

But if he is using your money for supporting your family with him, what seems to be the problems?

The problem was that he wanted to invest our money (my and his) in name of his father back in India. Also, it was having best of both the cultures (indian and American).

I did cooking, cleaning, living with his parents, doing everything for them and taking care of house (the indian way) and when it came to money matters it never felt like "our" since he wanted to have his fathers involvement all the time. Please note, father has elder son who is not doing good financially and would also be a stakeholder in this kind of arrangement technically.

All of this set up resulted in miscommunication and mistrust!

I suspect OP's husband is of Indian Heritage, hence the pressure on girl's family to pay him money (Indian dowry?).

Anyway,

whether to file ROC jointly or with divorce waiver, one STILL has to show good faith/ bona fide marriage.

AND USCIS places huge emphasis on Financially Co-mingled evidence.

BONAFIDE EVIDENCE Example list for ROC

1. Evidence of Joint Ownership of Assets and Shared Financial Responsibility

• Joint Federal / State Tax transcripts
  • Joint bank account statements
  • Proof of joint credit card use
  • Mortgage loan contract or lease contract with both partners’ names in it
  • Power of Attorney
  • Wills
  • Utility / Cable TV / Cell phone / Pets visit / Membership / Joint purchase bills
  • Life insurance policy showing spouse as beneficiary
  • Health insurance / Dental / Medical Bills
  • Car insurance
  • 401(K) account information showing spouse as beneficiary

2. Photographic Evidence

• Photos of you two together
  • Photos of you two with family (such as wedding, parties, kids’ graduation, etc.)
  • Photos of you two in various locations and times

3. Other Evidence in Support of Bona Fide Marriage

• Birth certificates of any children born to you together
  • Sworn affidavits of friends and/or family
  • Letters/cards from friends and/or family
  • Vacation / honeymoon photos / Boarding Passes showing both of you travelling together
  • Hotel receipts with both your names
  • Other Misc receipts with both partners’ names in shipping/billing address
  • Joint Fishing or Hunting license
  • List spouse as each other emergency contact from employers

The problem was that he wanted to invest our money (my and his) in name of his father back in India. Also, it was having best of both the cultures (indian and American).

I did cooking, cleaning, living with his parents, doing everything for them and taking care of house (the indian way) and when it came to money matters it never felt like "our" since he wanted to have his fathers involvement all the time. Please note, father has elder son who is not doing good financially and would also be a stakeholder in this kind of arrangement technically.

OP, if you filed the taxes jointly, you should be able to request a copy of tax transcripts here:

https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript

By the way, learn to take care of yourself financially. Don't end up with no money and get kick out of house like trash!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Let me be the devil's advocate...

Is it possible that OP's husband just want her to help with the bills or even the expenses he incurred to bring her here?

In certain cultures, the man is supposed to be the breadwinner, so when the woman migrate to the USA where there is an expectation of sharing financial responsibilities in the household, there's a strong opposition from the foreign spouse.

I have heard far too many of these stories where the wife keeps or hides all her money and invest in properties back home while the husband is expected to pay all the bills.

I don't condone any mistreatment or harassment from anyone but if OP wants to save her marriage and they only problem is about giving some of her money to support the household then y'all need to deal with it at the counseling.

If any part of my statement above is true, then he may not be such a terrible person.

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

I suspect OP's husband is of Indian Heritage, hence the pressure on girl's family to pay him money (Indian dowry?).

Anyway,

whether to file ROC jointly or with divorce waiver, one STILL has to show good faith/ bona fide marriage.

AND USCIS places huge emphasis on Financially Co-mingled evidence.

^^ THIS !

Without some co mingled financial evidence you will have a hard road ahead.

Joint bank accounts, savings accounts, car titles and insurance, loans, health insurance, listing each other as beneficiary

in life insurance policies, work benefits, wills, power of attorney, mortgage or lease.......all important financial co mingling, just taxes

is not enough ! They also want to see joint bank accounts and it's activity on those accounts from marriage on.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

You said you want to save your marriage...really, REALLY? Did you envision to have a scumbag like him by your side as a husband and a father for your kids in the future?You have a problem bigger than your GC my dear...DIVORCE him and move on

Well, looks like OP doesn't see it that way. Her priority is the GC

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Filed: Country: Myanmar
Timeline

Money matters are always ugly!

So, the very fair question to ask him is that would he do all same things he asked of you if he is in your shoes?

Even with the cultural influences, I guess it's about the fairness to the each of you.

You both need a joint account with some contribution from each party on monthly basics. From that joint account, let him invest / use a portion of it to his family interest and your family interest equally.

You'll also need your own account where he or his family can't touch.

You at least need all the joint statements and joint tax returns for ROC.

There is such a thing as financial abuse. http://nnedv.org/resources/ejresources/about-financial-abuse.html

Married in Texas Sept. 16, 2013

Sent I-130 Nov. 3, 2013

Received NOA1 (email) Dec. 19, 2013

Requested Expedite Jan. 2, 2014

Approved Expedite Jan. 4, 2014

Case sent to NVC Jan. 15, 2014

Received NOA1 (mail) Jan. 22, 2014

NVC Received Case Jan. 27, 2014

Received NOA2 (mail) Feb. 25, 2014

NVC Assigned Case Number Mar. 11, 2014

Paid AOS Fee Mar. 29, 2014

Paid IV Fee Mar. 29, 2014

Submitted DS-260 Apr. 4, 2014

Mailed in IV packet Apr. 8, 2014

Submitted AOS packet Forgot the date

Case complete May 31, 2014

Medical Jun. 26, 2014

Interview Jul. 8, 2014

POE (LAX) Sept. 16, 2014

Paid ELIS May 16, 2015

Received GC May 23, 2015

I-751 Receipt Date July 5, 2016

ROC NOA July 15, 2016

I-751 Biometrics Aug. 5, 2016

ROC Approved Sept. 18, 2017
Received GC Sept. 25, 2017

CR1 Spousal Visa Guide

TBErp8.png

YEP0m5.png

Timeline

Money matters are always ugly!

So, the very fair question to ask him is that would he do all same things he asked of you if he is in your shoes?

Even with the cultural influences, I guess it's about the fairness to the each of you.

You both need a joint account with some contribution from each party on monthly basics. From that joint account, let him invest / use a portion of it to his family interest and your family interest equally.

You'll also need your own account where he or his family can't touch.

You at least need all the joint statements and joint tax returns for ROC.

I already agreed to this arrangement long back. Surrendered to his request to avoid having joint account and give him expenses in cash.

But after doing that he says I am doing it but very transactional (not doing it genuinely) and that is why he wants divorce now.

I even gave him a blank check to show him that I am trying to do it genuinely. Its all the mistrust that he has developed in his head!

Only god can help me here. Thanks Jam for all your inputs! God bless you :)

Timeline

Hi,

Sorry for what you are going through...

options:

(a) If you stay married, than you have remove conditions together.

(b) file for divorce, remove conditions by yourself using VAWA.(Violence Against Woman Act). If you are treated bad than I would file report with Police and move on.

I understand staying married, anyone won't look down on you or your family. Look for yourself and decide what is right for you.

Cheers

Hello All

I am an indian who got married to American citizen and came to USA on CR1 visa in Aug 2014.

Husband has been forcing me and my family to pay him money and have his name added to my salary accounts and make other financial investment since then.

As I did not give in to his demands, he is not willing to apply jointly for removal of my conditions on CR1 visa (marriage based green card).

Can somebody please help me on this?

1. Can I file for waiver without applying for divorce?

2. Can my company apply for H1b visa and get me stay in USA on H1 visa?

3. Is there any other way to save GC?

Thank you for any inputs!

God bless you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.