MaydayDas

You ready to move to the States?

38 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
i also miss the german leash laws. too many dogs running loose in my area.

Some cities have leash laws and some don't. Of course, like most laws, the leash laws are usually broken and people don't bother to keep their dogs on a leash. That's not only dangerous for people, but for the dog as well.

I was almost attacked by a dog once that was off a leash. That's something I'll never forget... :angry:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Speaking from Germany to America just jotted down some things that might be helpful to keep in mind.

Very interesting!

I'm not sure what you mean by:

* While there is not an 'ampt' (government office/dept.) for everything, we're still not as 'free' as you would think

and I'm curious how the following things are done in Germany:

* Most bills (utilities, etc) are monthly

* Renting a home/apartment is done with a contract - usually 6 or 12 months

* Applying for a job does not require your life's history

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Speaking from Germany to America just jotted down some things that might be helpful to keep in mind.

Very interesting!

I'm not sure what you mean by:

* While there is not an 'ampt' (government office/dept.) for everything, we're still not as 'free' as you would think

Well..seems like there is a law and department (most ending in 'ampt) for everything...German people will understand, there are lots of laws and rules.. You'd think in the Land Of The Free, that you're , well, free but we have many (sometimes silly) laws too.. (is the point).

and I'm curious how the following things are done in Germany:

* Most bills (utilities, etc) are monthly

Germany - many are quarterly

* Renting a home/apartment is done with a contract - usually 6 or 12 months

Germany - once you're in (with contract) it goes until you want to leave - doesn't expire (usually) - not unusual for people to stay 20, 30+ years

* Applying for a job does not require your life's history

Germany - You would not believe the 'resume' required - from grade school, to parents line of work, to church, to a review letter from each previous job (and any reviews while there), a photo..on and on.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

A useful idea for those moving to the US from elsewhere - before you move sign up for the online version of the daily newspaper in the community to where you are moving - you get all of the social stuff ie. movies, ads, classifieds, entertainment, lifestyle, fashion, comics,etc. along with the news. That can be quite an eye-opener plus helps with your acclimatization:-); names of places and people in the community, for one thing, are now familiar.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline
* TV has little nudity/foul-language, but lots of violence (pay tv not included)

You have never seen 'Alarm für Cobra 11' on RTL, I think. Does nothing not blow up on that show? I am still surprised that my brain didn't melt away at being exposed to the stupidity of it all. :lol: Oh, now, not all bad. I do like the shows about immigration like 'Mein Neues Leben'... :whistle: I wish 'Unser Traum vom Haus' wasn't canceled (or was it??).

I don't know what someone is talking about with German leash laws. One of the shocking things I found about Germany (beyond the chain smoking) was how many people I saw running around with dogs without leashes. I would be afraid to do that even if I actually liked dogs enough to own one. Seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

I hate how you have to guess how much electricity you use here. Just bill me for what I use per month. I have no idea why they make you guess the useage and charge you based on that guess. Weird.

I think for every good thing about the US there is a good thing about Germany and visa versa. This wasn't like moving to another planet, I mean, we are all Westerners. I'd relax...

Edited by Wacken

Filed: Timeline

haha I was going to add something and then my husband talked to me and I forget what I was going to add. maybe another time. poor me and my frail memory.

Oh wait I remember now. The best chocolate and my favorite chocolate to buy here is Lindt. I think it's Swiss. I've seen it anywhere from the grocery store to Target, Walgreens, CVS, WalMart. I think you can get it almost everywhere. It's very yummy.

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

Timeline
####### chocolate....

Okay, that's not entirely true. If you're just buying grocery store chocolate, of course it's going to be #######. Look for the fine chocolate brands that are spread out across the country. See's Candy and Ghirardelli Chocolate Company (both founded in the United States) are just two examples. Stay away from Hershey and Russel Stover or whatever other cheap store brands if you want good chocolate.

####### chocolate....

no way! if you count brands like hersheys, okay...(which i still find edible anyway. lol)

but there are lots of good brands here in america as good or better than any european kind. including switzerland, austria, belgium, france, etc. there's a small chocolatier here in nyc that has chocolate i think is BETTER than any i had in europe. also there are many chocolatiers from europe who have branches here as well. michel cluizel, la maison du chocolate, etc.....

you just need to look for them.

Just my point of view people, which I stand by. Basically what I should have put is "it's not Cadbury's or Galaxy". And before you say it is available over here, I will point out it is made by Hershey's and ISN'T the same....

To the people who said you could get good choccie here....to a UKer, you can't cos the taste is different. Trust me.

My point exactly Lisa! :D

Edited by mags

Driving/Cars

* People do not get out of the left lane

Ha ha -- you have idenitified the one thing that drives my husband up the wall -- lack of lane etiquette/discipline. Come to think of it drives me crazy too.

Me too! I lived in Europe for 2 years, and when I came home, it made me NUTS that people just tool along in the left lane, going the speed limit, with a looooong line of cars behind them!!

Remove Conditions

08-19-2009: I-751 Sent to VSC

Filed: Timeline
####### chocolate....

Okay, that's not entirely true. If you're just buying grocery store chocolate, of course it's going to be #######. Look for the fine chocolate brands that are spread out across the country. See's Candy and Ghirardelli Chocolate Company (both founded in the United States) are just two examples. Stay away from Hershey and Russel Stover or whatever other cheap store brands if you want good chocolate.

####### chocolate....

no way! if you count brands like hersheys, okay...(which i still find edible anyway. lol)

but there are lots of good brands here in america as good or better than any european kind. including switzerland, austria, belgium, france, etc. there's a small chocolatier here in nyc that has chocolate i think is BETTER than any i had in europe. also there are many chocolatiers from europe who have branches here as well. michel cluizel, la maison du chocolate, etc.....

you just need to look for them.

Just my point of view people, which I stand by. Basically what I should have put is "it's not Cadbury's or Galaxy". And before you say it is available over here, I will point out it is made by Hershey's and ISN'T the same....

To the people who said you could get good choccie here....to a UKer, you can't cos the taste is different. Trust me.

My point exactly Lisa! :D

Mags, I guess you're not aware of the new rule...on Sundays your opinion is given to you ;) And shame on you for buying cheap choccie :P

Edited by LisaD

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
I don't know what someone is talking about with German leash laws. One of the shocking things I found about Germany (beyond the chain smoking) was how many people I saw running around with dogs without leashes. I would be afraid to do that even if I actually liked dogs enough to own one. Seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

this was due to my having a dog that didn't like strange dogs approaching her. i would always have her on a leash, but lots of dogs not on a leash (or with the owner even within 200 meters) would come up to her.

also due to constant news about pit bull attacks, a leash law might not be a bad idea.

Me too! I lived in Europe for 2 years, and when I came home, it made me NUTS that people just tool along in the left lane, going the speed limit, with a looooong line of cars behind them!!

ditto :yes:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

cant stand american chocolate.... the only "okay" chocolate over here is the one from GODIVA which is expensive as hell...

other than that, when i feel the need to eat chocolate i go to the LINDT store in the mall and buy me some chocoloate.... european (german, swiss etc.) is the best chocolate in the world! even my MIL says it now after i brought her some german chocolate... and my husband loves the german choclate MILKA!

blackribbonsmall.png

Walk with the angels

let them keep you safe

we'll join you one day

in that wonderful place

stand on the clouds and never forget

we're holding on to you

in our memories and thoughts

until one day we'll meet again

Truly missed but never forgotten:

Diana

RIP 1982-08/2008

Verena

RIP 1983-03/2008

Daddy

RIP

"IMMIGRATION" PROCESS (TIMELINE):CLICK HERE

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

i lived in london a year. ....so i'm well aware of the differences between your kitkat, cadbury, etc versus ours.

but i stand by my opinion that you CAN get european chocolate here. and can get amazing american chocolate as well. you just need to look. going to your local supermarket isn't usually good enough.

there's actually lots of places to buy british candy too if you're craving a taste of home.

Edited by abdounjen

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

Timeline
i lived in london a year. ....so i'm well aware of the differences between your kitkat, cadbury, etc versus ours.

but i stand by my opinion that you CAN get european chocolate here. and can get amazing american chocolate as well. you just need to look. going to your local supermarket isn't usually good enough.

there's actually lots of places to buy british candy too if you're craving a taste of home.

Everyone's taste buds are different. I've tried just about every chocolate going here and have not found one that is up to my liking. American chocolate is, in my opinion, too bitter and harsh tasting. I don't even like Godiva.

You CAN buy British candy here online, IF I wanted to pay three times the price plus shipping. Where you live factors into it greatly. I live in the middle of nowhere, options aren't as readily available here as they would be in Boston or NY etc etc. I just simply don't have a plethora of shops available to go to and look in.

As I've said before there is a version of Cadbury's in most stores but it has different ingredients (HFCS anyone?) and tastes different. European chocolate is still different to UK chocolate and is not to my liking either, although it is marginally better than the American stuff. There was a similar thread in the UK forum and just about everyone in there agreed that American chocolate was sh!t.

So, to clarify, I personally find American chocolate tastes like skunk droppings. So, I'm fussy. *shrugs*