malka

Help! Some Russian goon has ALL my personal info

30 posts in this topic

Argghh... I just checked around on our computer and found all these new, weird photos of some unsavory-looking guy and his malnourished family (probably Russian since the files all had Russian titles). And all his music and movies and stuff. On OUR computer. And then, in the "My Networks," I found a zillion computers somehow networked to ours.

We've been using AVAST! as our anti virus ware, which I'm realizing is next to useless because it just works on the days you think to run it. Here I was, thinking it ran automatically like the last antivirus we used. I just ran it again and found a couple viruses and a couple of "Trojan Horses."

The reason I am feeling horribly panicked right now is that I've been cheerily filling out forms in preparation for all our visa petition stuff, and everything like my SS number, address, name, DOB,... EVERYTHING is in these forms on our computer! So I called one of the the credit bureaus and had them put a 90 day fraud alert on my file, and I've asked for a credit report, and if anyone knows of anything else I should do, please advise. None of my banking stuff or credit cards are on the computer, but I have been accessing my bank account from this computer.

9-12/2004 - met and fell in love in Bulgaria

2004 - 2006 - travel, travel, travel...

11/2006 - moved to Bulgaria

1/2007 - engaged

4/2007 - wedding

DCF for CR-1 Visa BEGINS:

5/16/2007 - I-130 filed at Sofia, Bulgaria embassy

Wow, I don't have any advice for you except can you try to delete the stuff they put on your computer. That is pretty scary!!

DCF - London

18 Jul 04 - Police Certificate Requested

19 Jul 04 - I-130 sent

22 Jul 04 - NOA I-130 logged with INS

29 Jul 04 - DS230 sent

29 Jul 04 - Had vaccinations

14 Aug 04 - Police Certificate Received

30 Sept 04 - I-130 approved

30 Nov 04 - Received I-864 from co sponsor

04 Dec 04 - Sent DS2001

13 Jan 05 - Interview date 04 Feb 05

04 Feb 05 - VISA APPROVED!!!

08 Feb 05 - Proud owner of IR-1 Visa

09 Jun 05 - Arrived in the USA

24 April 09 - US Citizen

26551rm8.th.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I would reinstall your Windows..... and get AVG virus program and the Zone Alarm Firewall... both of these are free programs and are easy to use and work great....

i never liked Avast.. ate up too much memory :P

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I would reinstall your Windows..... and get AVG virus program and the Zone Alarm Firewall... both of these are free programs and are easy to use and work great....

i never liked Avast.. ate up too much memory :P

I second AVG and ZoneAlarm. I have both and they're great. :yes:

As for reinstalling Windows, that's always an option. The other option might be to root around your Windows registry and see if anything is amiss. Of course, that requires some knowledge of the registry, and if you did anything wrong, you could severely crash your system. I mean a big time inoperable crash. So doing something like that really requires some know-how.

I would definitely back up all sensitive material to flash drives and/or CD before reinstalling Windows though. The last thing you want to do is have to search for all of those files again. Also, see if you can find and download the necessary drivers for your hardware before reinstalling. This way you'll have them after a fresh install and you won't have to deal with a half-assed version of Windows for any amount of time.

I'm sure there's something else I'm forgetting, but when it comes back to me, I'll post it. :)

Secure your network/WI-Fi connection if you have it. Reinstalling windows can help too. I have McAfee Personal Firewall/Virus Scan and Windows Defender. Also check if you have the latest Windows updates.

*** My Mom's N-400 Journey ***

05/09/2015 - Mailed N-400 application packet to the Phoenix, AZ lockbox

05/11/2015 - Delivered per USPS tracking

05/14/2015 - Check cashed

05/19/2015 - Received NOA

06/02/2015 - Biometrics Appointment

06/04/2015 - In line

08/06/2015 - Interview scheduled per USCIS website

09/11/2015 - Interview - PASSED!

09/18/2015 - Received oath letter

09/22/2015 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: Timeline

also, unplug your computer from the internet so that they cannot get access. Sorry about that :angry: Don't people have anything better to do with their time and energy?

Lifting Conditions- Nebraska Service Center

3-22-2007: Sent out I-751

3-24-2007: Received at NSC

3-27-2007: Official USCIS received date

3-30-2007: Both checks cashed and case number received

4-05-2007: NOA1 received in mail with correct case number

4-05-2007: NOA1 case number works online

4-06-2007: Received Biometrics appointment notice

4-17-2007: Biometrics Appointment and TOUCHED :)

5-02-2007: Greencard expires

Dec 2007: Received extention until Dec 2008

5-09-2008: Card production ordered!! FINALLY!!!

Naturalization!!!!

Finally getting around to N-400... Filed under 5 years of PR status

5-11-2010: Sent out N-400 - Phoenix, AZ Lockbox

5-13-2010: Received at Lockbox

5-25-2010: Checks Cashed :)

5-28-2010: NOA received but case number doesn't work

6-04-2010: Case number works online and says RFE sent 6-2-10

6-07-2010: Received letter for biometrics

6-22-2010: Biometrics appointment

7-24-2010: Received interview letter

8-26-2010: Interview-PASSED!!

9-30-2010: Oath Ceremony Indianapolis

Thanks so much everyone! I did take some pleasure in deleting this guy's files, but then it occured to me that he might be a victim of this internet-spyware stuff, too. I am totally inept with computers, since my sister and brother always handled this stuff for me back in the States! But my fiance's brother-in-law here is a computer whizz and I think we'll invite him over for pizza one night soon! I just put all our computer's settings on the highest possible security and deleted all the temporary internet files. I want a firewall a mile and half high. I'll get the AVG and ZoneAlarm -- I think Avast uses up too much memory, too.

I just took all the files and forms with personal info and deleted them. Is that enough, or can someone with spyware get into the deleted files somehow? I know the harddrive needs to be wiped before anyone can safely throw away the actaul, physical computer, but can crooks still get to my stuff over the internet if it's been deleted and the trash bin emptied?

I really have exactly the same feeling as if my wallet had been stolen!

I called the credit card company that I've been using, since it occured to me that the fraud alert might make it hard for me to use that card while I'm abroad - everything seems to be fine with that account and they say that the fraud alert just stops people who are trying to establish new credit, so that should be ok. She asked me awesome and tricky questions about my identity, none of which were ever on my computer, so I feel a little bit better.

But all possible forms are getting filled out by hand from now on!

Edited by malka

9-12/2004 - met and fell in love in Bulgaria

2004 - 2006 - travel, travel, travel...

11/2006 - moved to Bulgaria

1/2007 - engaged

4/2007 - wedding

DCF for CR-1 Visa BEGINS:

5/16/2007 - I-130 filed at Sofia, Bulgaria embassy

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

http://www.kaspersky.com/

Not free, but the best one I know.

It removed some nasty malware that nothing else would.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

a trojan is the first thing i thought of when i read your op. it also sounds like he's been using your computer as a bot.

you need a firewall (zonealarm is good), along with a good antivirus and at least one, preferably two, anti-spyware programs. i currently use norton for antivirus and spysweeper and pestpatrol. pestpatrol did, btw, find and remove a few that spysweeper didn't find, hence why i recommend having two anti-spyware programs.

if you are not using your computer, turn it off. that reduces hack attempts.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Throw it away......buy a mac!

K-1 Visa Journey

04/20/2006 - file our I-129f.

09/14/2006 - US Embassy interview. Ask Lauren to marry me again, just to make sure. Says Yes. Phew!

10/02/2006 - Fly to New York, EAD at JFK, I'm in!!

10/14/2006 - Married! The perfect wedding day.

AOS Journey

10/23/2006 - AOS and EAD filed

05/29/2007 - RFE (lost medical)

08/02/2007 - RFE received back at CSC

08/10/2007 - Card Production ordered

08/17/2007 - Green Card Arrives

Removing Conditions

05/08/2009 - I-751 Mailed

05/13/2009 - NOA1

06/12/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/24/2009 - Approved (twice)

10/10/2009 - Card Production Ordered

10/13/2009 - Card Production Ordered (Again?)

10/19/2009 - Green Card Received (Dated 10/13/19)

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

:thumbs:

That is the best anti-virus solution available today. You can get the 'lite' version (same engine and detection rate) by installing AOL's 'Active Virus Shield'. Yeah, I know... 'AOL Sucks'. Whatever. I don't like AOL as an ISP because their software takes over a system. However, AVS is *not* AOL. It's just a free anti-virus solution that blows AVG out of the water.

There's another thread in Off Topic about a virus/trojan. In it I put a link to getting Kaspersky Anti-Virus for free (after rebate(s)) if you're upgrading a current anti-virus program (brand doesn't matter) or $25 if you're not upgrading. If you can't find it search my posts as I updated it today or yesterday.

BTW - I would recommend a complete reinstall of Windows. Once your system has been owned you will spend more time trying to clean it than reinstalling and knowing you're clean. Backup your files and reload. :yes:

Married on 11/21/06 in her hometown city Tumauini located in the Isabela province (Republic of the Philippines)

I-129 Timeline

12/12/06 - Mailed I-129 package to Chicago Service Center

12/14/06 - Received by Chicago Service Center

12/18/06 - NOA1 notice date from Missouri (NBC)

12/21/06 - NOA1 received in mail

12/27, 12/29, 12/31 - Touches

01/06/07 - Transfered to California Service Center

01/11/07 - Arrived at California Service Center

1/12, 1/16, 1/17, 2/6 - Touches

02/06/07 - NOA2 from California Service Center

02/11/07 - Received NOA2 in mail

02/15/07 - Arrived at the NVC - MNL case # assigned

02/20/07 - Sent to US Embassy in Manila

02/26/07 - Received at Embassy

03/30/07 - Packet 4 received

05/09/07 - Medical scheduled (did early)

05/16/07 - Interview

05/23/07 - Visa Delivered

05/25/07 - POE in Newark, NJ

I-130 Timeline

11/27/06 - Mailed I-130 package to Texas Service Center

11/29/06 - Package received by Texas Service Center

12/06/06 - NOA1 notice date from California Service Center

12/09/06 - Touch

12/11/06 - NOA1 received in mail

02/11/07 - Received NOA2 in mail (I-130 held at CSC)

--------------------

Pinoy Info Forum - For the members of Asawa.org in diaspora

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

You mean buy an expensive system that's got limited hardware and software available for it? :whistle:

Want an example? Next time you're at the store ask them where their 'OS X' compatible webcam section is. Now compare that to Windows. Then go over to the computer gaming section and do the same thing. There's a reason the new 'Wintel' Macs dual boot OS X and Windows. ;)

Married on 11/21/06 in her hometown city Tumauini located in the Isabela province (Republic of the Philippines)

I-129 Timeline

12/12/06 - Mailed I-129 package to Chicago Service Center

12/14/06 - Received by Chicago Service Center

12/18/06 - NOA1 notice date from Missouri (NBC)

12/21/06 - NOA1 received in mail

12/27, 12/29, 12/31 - Touches

01/06/07 - Transfered to California Service Center

01/11/07 - Arrived at California Service Center

1/12, 1/16, 1/17, 2/6 - Touches

02/11/07 - Received NOA2 in mail

02/15/07 - Arrived at the NVC - MNL case # assigned

02/20/07 - Sent to US Embassy in Manila

02/26/07 - Received at Embassy

03/30/07 - Packet 4 received

05/09/07 - Medical scheduled (did early)

05/16/07 - Interview

05/23/07 - Visa Delivered

05/25/07 - POE in Newark, NJ

I-130 Timeline

11/27/06 - Mailed I-130 package to Texas Service Center

11/29/06 - Package received by Texas Service Center

12/06/06 - NOA1 notice date from California Service Center

12/09/06 - Touch

12/11/06 - NOA1 received in mail

02/11/07 - Received NOA2 in mail (I-130 held at CSC)

--------------------

Pinoy Info Forum - For the members of Asawa.org in diaspora

:thumbs:

That is the best anti-virus solution available today. You can get the 'lite' version (same engine and detection rate) by installing AOL's 'Active Virus Shield'. Yeah, I know... 'AOL Sucks'. Whatever. I don't like AOL as an ISP because their software takes over a system. However, AVS is *not* AOL. It's just a free anti-virus solution that blows AVG out of the water.

There's another thread in Off Topic about a virus/trojan. In it I put a link to getting Kaspersky Anti-Virus for free (after rebate(s)) if you're upgrading a current anti-virus program (brand doesn't matter) or $25 if you're not upgrading. If you can't find it search my posts as I updated it today or yesterday.

BTW - I would recommend a complete reinstall of Windows. Once your system has been owned you will spend more time trying to clean it than reinstalling and knowing you're clean. Backup your files and reload. :yes:

This post: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&p=763674

A quick head's up on what many consider to be the best anti-virus solution available. You can get Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6 for Free or $25 (after rebates). Original cost is $50. There's a $25 rebate available to everyone. However, if you're upgrading from a previous version (brand doesn't matter) you'll get another $25 off. Great price for the best AV out there...

LINK HERE

Enjoy! :thumbs:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You mean buy an expensive system that's got limited hardware and software available for it? :whistle:

Want an example? Next time you're at the store ask them where their 'OS X' compatible webcam section is. Now compare that to Windows. Then go over to the computer gaming section and do the same thing. There's a reason the new 'Wintel' Macs dual boot OS X and Windows. ;)

If it was a straight price issue, I would get a Mac, for my needs.

Not a gamer and I just need a laptop.

Odd that you can buy the published version of Kaspersky from Amazon for less than a download.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”