gryphon

Non-immigrant visa for pending immigrants

51 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Lots of things in the US make no sense. It is the way the system works.

Somebody I know trained to be an AC Navigator. So he printed the documents off, 8000 pages.

He said you could see how it started off and how it had been amended to suit the needs of special interest groups.

Still not quite sure what you are seeking to achieve. Faster processing? Obviously if all this took a month then all the other issues go away.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline

Faster processing can only happen if the number of rubber-stamping 'adjudicators' (within USCIS) is quintupled...and that would, not surprisingly, quintuple the cost of filing said petition.

As to the 'give me a new visa because I messed up the last one [or privilege]..without penalty?

And I am afraid I don't buy the one month 'accidental' overstay....anyone with even an average intellect can remember for how long they were admitted...and a month doesn't just drift by unnoticed....but then, as I have so often heard or read, it's never the fault of the overstayer, but somehow connected to our broken immigration system....huh?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Lots of things in the US make no sense. It is the way the system works.

Somebody I know trained to be an AC Navigator. So he printed the documents off, 8000 pages.

He said you could see how it started off and how it had been amended to suit the needs of special interest groups.

Still not quite sure what you are seeking to achieve. Faster processing? Obviously if all this took a month then all the other issues go away.

So let's not try to fix anything because that's the way it's done now?

Directly from the petition: " I'm not asking for anyone's permanent residence to be fast tracked,"

"I created this petition to call upon President Obama to issue an Executive Order to the Department of Homeland Security and Customs and Border Patrol, allowing temporary reprieve, in the form of non-immigrant visitor visas, to the immediate family members of US Citizens who are currently petitioning to become permanent residents. These visas should be similar to those allowed under the Visa Waiver Plan, which do not allow for a change of status during the visit."

Which additional elements should be clarified?

Faster processing can only happen if the number of rubber-stamping 'adjudicators' (within USCIS) is quintupled...and that would, not surprisingly, quintuple the cost of filing said petition.

As to the 'give me a new visa because I messed up the last one [or privilege]..without penalty?

And I am afraid I don't buy the one month 'accidental' overstay....anyone with even an average intellect can remember for how long they were admitted...and a month doesn't just drift by unnoticed....but then, as I have so often heard or read, it's never the fault of the overstayer, but somehow connected to our broken immigration system....huh?

Wow, uhm, nevermind I guess. Please close this thread. It appears that even when I say things, people aren't reading them and I'm encountering more resistance from people who are going/have gone through the immigration process than from USCIS.

My mistake.

Edited by gryphon

Case Complete to Interview Date Spreadsheet Analysis: http://www.gryphonsoftwareconsulting.com/vj/index.html

Nov 04, 2015 - Sent I-130

Nov 16, 2015 - I-130 NOA1

Mar 29, 2016 - I-130 NOA2

Mar 30, 2016 - Sent to NVC

Apr 04, 2016 - NOA2 hardcopy received

Apr 04, 2016 - NVC Received
Apr 12, 2016 - Case # Assigned

Apr 19, 2016 - Paid AOS and IV fees (finally! :ranting: )
Apr 20, 2016 - AOS and IV fees show PAID

Apr 27, 2016 - Scan date

May 16, 2016 - Case complete

May 25, 2016 - Interview date assigned: Jul 14, 2016

May 26, 2016 - P4 received

May 31, 2016 - CEAC Status changed to "In Transit"

Jun 01, 2016 - CEAC Status changed to "Ready"

Jul 14, 2016 - Visa Approved!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

The poster was continuing part of the discussion and was adding items for thought.

He's a retired consular officer who spent considerable time in NIV work.

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Timeline

...who has heard the stories by the carload. Especially why a new visa (or privilege) should be given to someone who could not manage to live up to the terms of the first one, and all without any penalty? Even an overdue library book generates a fine.

The NIVs that are subject to 214b are not designed for the holder to live and work in the US (students can do a bit of both - we are talking specifically about tourist visas).

Section 214b is not going to be suspended anytime soon, and currently, that is the bar that an applicant for a B2 visa must get over....convincing a CO that he or she will depart the US when they said and not engage in activities that would require a different visa class.

Just because somebody is unhappy with the current wait times is not a reason to suspend that law....because if it did, imagine how many marriages would take place the day after, with all of the those foreign spouses champing at the bit to enter the US on some 'new and improved' visa waiver program, only to disappear into the sunset....our military doesn't have enough C-5 Galaxy transport planes to carry all of those folks....

Some foreign spouses who already have a valid B2 visa sometimes manage to visit; of those who do, about 97% of them have the ever popular mind change while collecting their luggage....which then leads to an erosion of trust for those applying for a B2 visa while the CR1 paper processing is underway. For people who have had a traveling to the US privilege, then violated that trust, it should not come as a great surprise that they have their next tourist visa application denied, because they would have lost their credibility - which is the most important asset an applicant can have.

Finally, the idea that a month rolled by without anyone paying attention to the authorized admission time is 'just one of those things that happen' (or some equally dismissive opinion) is just not believable. In today's age of calendar apps or just sticky notes on a frig, it is more than difficult to accept that particular excuse, so that some sympathetic CO (who I hope does not exist) will dole out a new privilege just to watch it get abused (statistically).

Trust ..... hard to earn....nearly impossible to regain once lost.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Thread closed as requested by OP~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.