Roy&Chanel

USCIS Director Confirms Review Of Fiance Visa Program

26 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I don't think that the place they need to make changes is necessarily in the length of the processing. Instead they might want to consider keeping track of people who show up on a tourist or student visa and never leave or ones that fail to AOS within a reasonable period of time. I understand that making the filing of AOS for K-1s mandatory within a year of arrival would be financially hard for some people but it is a second chance for the government to review recipients and a good check up to make sure that they actually followed through on their marriage. I mean, if someone filing for the CR-1 has to pay it all up front, then why can't they require the AOS is a specific amount of time? I also think they should make it more of a priority to investigate those whose Affidavit of Support has been withdrawn by the petitioner during the AOS process. It feels like too many people get to America and then melt into oblivion.

It would make much more sense to focus on those who are already here and have failed to leave when their visa expired, and those who failed to follow through with other conditions of their visa. There are thousands upon thousands of them. I have a friend who brought her fiancé to the US from Egypt on a K1 in 2014. They were married in county court within a few weeks of his arrival. She came home from collage classes one afternoon soon after that to find he'd cleared out all his things and was gone. He had moved in with friends (immigrants from Egypt) he already had here in the US before he arrived with the visa. He didn't even try to hide, He and his wife had phone and on line conversations afterwards. She told him she would make sure he was deported, but he informed her he knew once he was in the US, the chance of him being deported was slim to none. She filed for an annulment and was denied, so she divorced him and made every effort to do something about what happened. He turned out to be right though. Authorities know where he lives and they know where he's illegally worked since July 2014. It apparently doesn't matter.

As for setting a reasonable time limit on AOS after a person arrives on a K1, that seems like it should be common sense to give them a maximum of one year. They're given a time limit of 90 days to marry, so they should also have a time limit for AOS.

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

I-130 Sent : 2014-09-06

I-130 NOA1 : 2014-09-08 I-130

I-130 Appr5oved : 2015-02-22

NVC Received : 2015-03-09

Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : 2015-03-20

Pay AOS Bill : 2015-03-28

Send AOS Package : 2015-04-28

Submit DS-261 : 2015-04-25

Receive IV Bill : 2015-04-14

Pay IV Bill : 2015-04-22

Send IV Package : 2015-04-28

Scanned date: 2015-04-28

Check list : 2015-06-07

Check list scanned: 2015-06-10

Sent to Supervisor 49 days after scanned: 2015-07-28

Case Complete 7 days after it went to Supervisor: 2015-08-05

Interview Appointment Letter from NVC: 2015-13-10

Case shows as READY 2015-10-19

Medical done: 2015-16-11

Interview Date: 2015-11-18

APPROVED....GOD IS GREAT!!!!! PRAISE THE LORD GOD ALMIGHTY! :goofy:

Case changed from "Ready" to "AP" on 19th, then to "Issued" on 22nd

Visa was ready for pick up November 3rd in the afternoon

VISA IN HAND! THANK YOU GOD!

This would be a good time for the USCs to begin writing to their US Senators and Representatives about the positive aspects of the K1 visa program. Tell then that USCIS requires more funding to support this important program. Get your friends and relatives to write about it too. We are coming into an election year in 2016. It is important for Congress to understand what is important to their constituents.

The more opinions Congress hears DIRECTLY from constituents, the less likely it is to succumb to knee-jerk media suggestions.

?? Self funding so you want an increase in the fees?

Who said that? I wrote "more funding" not "self funding".

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I agree

this is our government and nothing will be done soon

with elections coming up next year don't expect Congress to pass any new laws

Yes, USCIS will give us all a harder time but i doubt they have the staff to look into past K 1 approvals

they barely have enough staff to process the applicaitons coming in every day

we can expect certain applications to go thru an additional investigation as always

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Who said that? I wrote "more funding" not "self funding".

Immigrant Fees pay for processing costs, so fees would need to increase.

Am i missing something, i thought the K1 does the same checks as the CR1 and AOS from all other visas, why are they only looking into K1s and not other visa types?

Political not Logical.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Immigrant Fees pay for processing costs, so fees would need to increase.

I would be surprised if the fees actually cover the entire processing cost. If they had a 'fast lane' fee for premium processing, I would have gladly paid the extra amount. :)

The real point I was making in my post about writing to Congress, was that K1s are important and should receive additional support from the government. I already have a draft letter prepared for my Congressman. Letters to the Senators will be slightly different.

• 4 weeks later...

Let's hope that the renewed focus on the K1 program results in sufficient resources being supplied to enhance security while protecting the program for those who follow.

Current processing time frames make this process an emotional marathon. It would be unfortunate if processing intervals were lengthened unnecessarily.

• 5 months later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

Now that this horrible tragedy in Orlando happened , the Visa process that was highly scrutinized after the SB shooting just went out the window since the shooter was born and raised in the US. I love my country but damn there are no doubt so many leaks to plug in our security of our country. RIP to all those that passed ....

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Now that this horrible tragedy in Orlando happened , the Visa process that was highly scrutinized after the SB shooting just went out the window since the shooter was born and raised in the US. I love my country but damn there are no doubt so many leaks to plug in our security of our country. RIP to all those that passed ....

Oh my friend, it's not your country specifically... every government in the world does that. When happens, they fail to address the problem itself in it's various causes to simplify as much as they can, so voters can hear and believe that something is being done to solve the problem overnight. Basically the government is saying "someone is to blame, but not me. Point fingers somewhere else".

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.