Togbega II

KI visa 2013, joined Army, awaiting Naturalization certificate

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

I came here on K1 visa in Dec 26, 2013 to be with my wife. I received my 2-year Conditional GC in March, 2015 and decided to join the Army. I initially started with the Navy but my recruiter was too slow so I switched over to the Army. *You can't join the air force unless you have a 10-year GC.

I graduated 3 weeks ago and have now earned the title "American soldier". It was almost 10weeks of training. I had my Naturalization test and interview today which i passed. Am now awaiting my Naturalization certificate which I anticipate to receive soon.

I hope this provides an answer to somebody's question he/she is finding an answer for.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

So you can become a citizen sooner just because you join the army? I had no idea..

You say you are awaiting your naturalization certificate...aren't you going to attend an oath ceremony and receive it there like everyone else?

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

NVC case numbers March 22nd
My sons AOS and IV bill paid March 23rd (status in progress)
My sons AOS and IV bill shows as paid March 26
My IV bill paid March 26
Both packages sent on March 26
My IV bill shows as paid on March 27th
CC on both cases March 30

Current record holder of fastest through the NVC :D

Medical exam in Stockholm April 13th
Interview on May 16th !!!

POE Anchorage July 12th!! 2012

July 2015 n-400 in the mail

September 2015, interview

October 23rd 2015, Oath ceremony!!!!!​​

So you can become a citizen sooner just because you join the army? I had no idea.. You say you are awaiting your naturalization certificate...aren't you going to attend an oath ceremony and receive it there like everyone else?

Absolutely you can because in general they don't want non-USC being able to shoot someone for the US government.

However, be aware of the judgement that may arise from US born citizens who feel that people join just to get the naturalization faster. Because people do it just for that vs the actual desire to serve the US government military.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Absolutely you can because in general they don't want non-USC being able to shoot someone for the US government.

However, be aware of the judgement that may arise from US born citizens who feel that people join just to get the naturalization faster. Because people do it just for that vs the actual desire to serve the US government military.

Does it really matter if Naturalization was their primary intent? Most people join the army any way for personal benefit, whether it is GI bill, loan forgiveness or naturalization. I believe anyone that serves completely deserves those benefits, even if that is their primary desire. They are still doing more than most people. People that don't serve have no right to judge.

N-400 Naturalization acpplication

9/9/2018: 90 day window early application opened. (3 year rule)

9/9/2018: N-400 Application submitted ONLINE. Estimated case completion: November 2019 (14 months).

9/10/2018: NOA

9/15/2018:Scheduled for Biometrics appointment. Scheduled for 10/1/2018

10/1/2018: Biometrics completed. 

4/11/2019: Scheduled for Interview.

5/20/2019: Interview day, APPROVED!

5/30/2019: Oath Ceremony. Officially a US citizen! Time to Vote :D

AOS / AP / EAD

7/22/2015: Mailed I-130, I-485, I-131, I-765

7/28/2015: Received electronic notification that USCIS has received my case and they are forwarding it to national benefits center.

8/1/2015: Received Hard copy of NOA of all 4 forms by mail.

8/6/2015: Received Biometrics appointment in mail, date 8/20

8/20/2015: Biometrics completed.

8/31/2015: Case updated to Interview scheduled for 10/1/2015

9/1/2015: Received interview letter hardcopy by mail

9/28/2015: EAD / AP Card in production

10/1/2015: Interview completed, unfortunately will need further review...

10/3/2015: Recieved EAD / AP combo card in mail

11/16/2015: Completed first Infopass. J1 file still pending from DOS

12/9/2015: I485 / I130 approved. I-485 updated to "New Card is being produced"!!!

12/14/2015: Received I130/I485 approval / Welcome letter

12/15/2015: Received Green Card in mail!!!!

J1 Exceptional Hardship Waiver Timeline:

12/18/2014: Form DS-3035 was received by the DOS

11/2014-2/2015: We collected letters of support from Family

2/15/2015: Last DS-2019 was received.

2/27/2015: Sent I-612 + Affidavit and supporting documents (This was sent to California Service Center)

3/4/2015: USCIS received I-612 and sent Form I-797C notice of action in mail which I received later on.

4/9/2015: USCIS requested another non-USCIS advisory opinion for Form I-612

4/14/2015: From I-612 and I-613 were received by the DOS

5/6/2015: DOS: Post input: received,

6/27/2015: DOS decision turned to Favorable recommendation, Recommendation sent on 6/26

7/2/2015: USCIS approved I-612 application online

7/9/2015: Received Hard copy approval in mail

Does it really matter if Naturalization was their primary intent? Most people join the army any way for personal benefit, whether it is GI bill, loan forgiveness or naturalization. I believe anyone that serves completely deserves those benefits, even if that is their primary desire. They are still doing more than most people. People that don't serve have no right to judge.

I'm sorry I didn't make it obvious that I was referring to people who serve who judge, not those who don't. I completely agree that those who don't serve do not have a place to judge. I'm not judging by any means. I'm providing insight that can be taken with a grain of salt or discarded as personally preferred.

Edited by NLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

So you can become a citizen sooner just because you join the army? I had no idea..You say you are awaiting your naturalization certificate...aren't you going to attend an oath ceremony and receive it there like everyone else?

I am not awaiting it in the mail or other means apart from receiving it at the end of the oath ceremony. Am am awaiting to receiving it on my oath ceremony. Yes, you become a U.S citizen when you the military cos that's a federal job and all federal jobs required that you are a citizen

Timeline

My post was to provide answers to people who aint sure they can noin the military with 2-yr GC not YOU!! It's sad that we have people like you here who have nothing positive to say but to cast doubt and see things with myopic lenses from what people post here. So any foreigner who joins the U.S military does so for papers? I could still live my civilian life and still get my naturalization cos am still married to my wife.

*In anycaes, everybody joins the military for a reason including U.S citizens. Most of them I met is because of students loans. Are you not doing your present job for a reason? What not any other job than what u doing now? Moreover, signing to join the US Army isn't a guarantee that u gonna graduate. So many people couldn't make it but I have made it. To serve the best Army in the world and be part of the 1% or 2%/of the people serving is enough satisfaction for me.

Thank you NLR. A word to a wise is enough.

You guys are reading more into my comment and taking offense when none was meant. I am relating info obtained from a conversation i had with my husband and his best friend BOTH of whom serve. (Well hubs left but still works for the govt.) Most of our friends do serve or have. Their annoyance was mostly with people who don't even have a green card but join the military to become legal and get citizenship. Since I'd never thought before that perhaps that judgement was there, I thought perhaps someone elae may like the insight. Apparently not however, so I sincerely apologize that you're offended by learning this.

I've previously mentioned in another thread how people can join the military with a 2 year card and positive benefits of doing so, including naturalization sooner.

Have a nice week, and again I apologize you took offense.

Edited by NLR

Timeline

You guys are reading more into my comment and taking offense when none was meant. I am relating info obtained from a conversation i had with my husband and his best friend BOTH of whom serve. (Well hubs left but still works for the govt.) Most of our friends do serve or have. Their annoyance was mostly with people who don't even have a green card but join the military to become legal and get citizenship. Since I'd never thought before that perhaps that judgement was there, I thought perhaps someone elae may like the insight. Apparently not however, so I sincerely apologize that you're offended by learning this.

I've previously mentioned in another thread how people can join the military with a 2 year card and positive benefits of doing so, including naturalization sooner.

Have a nice week, and again I apologize you took offense.

NLR...thanks for explaining and making me understand you better. Have a nice week too

• 1 year later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
On 12/8/2015 at 5:35 AM, jahk18 said:

My post was to provide answers to people who aint sure they can noin the military with 2-yr GC not YOU!! It's sad that we have people like you here who have nothing positive to say but to cast doubt and see things with myopic lenses from what people post here. So any foreigner who joins the U.S military does so for papers? I could still live my civilian life and still get my naturalization cos am still married to my wife.

*In anycaes, everybody joins the military for a reason including U.S citizens. Most of them I met is because of students loans. Are you not doing your present job for a reason? What not any other job than what u doing now? Moreover, signing to join the US Army isn't a guarantee that u gonna graduate. So many people couldn't make it but I have made it. To serve the best Army in the world and be part of the 1% or 2%/of the people serving is enough satisfaction for me.

Thank you NLR. A word to a wise is enough.

When you wrote this post, wasn't you. Being too defensive?  I thought you and your American wife wss  separated .. I Guess you can  abandon your wife and still join the military to attain citizenship..  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.