KristinaJP

Interview for K-1 visa

13 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Slovenia
Timeline

Hi everyone,

this has probably been asked a lot, but here it goes: How does an interview look like? What do they ask you and how long does it take? Were they nice?

We've just got approved our petition on 30th september (filed on 2nd february) and I got the letter from the embassy at the end of October. Now my fiance was with me until 25th of November and we decided to spend time together rather than run around looking for all the needed documents....

I also have a question considering that-- It says on the letter that I'm suppose to bring original guarantee letter and I-134 form: What does that mean? Do we print out another form we sent in for petition or what is that?

Thank you everyone and good look <3

Kristina

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

I would like to know too.

Our K1 journey so far:

Service Center : California Service Center (We were lucky. They are lighting fast.)

Consulate : Bulgaria

I-129F Sent : 2015-09-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2015-09-17

I-129F RFE(s) : None (Praise the Lord and my fiance for being awesome with documents, unlike me) :)

I-129F NOA2 : 2015-10-15 :dancing: :joy: ( 37 days after sending the petition we got NOA2 )

NVC Received : 2015-10-22

Date Case #, IIN, and BIN assigned : 2015-11-02

NVC Left : 2015-11-04

Consulate Received : 2015-11-13

Packet 3 Received : 2015-11-16 Brown Slip

Interview Date : 2015-12-07 APPROVED!!! (L)

I don't know what a guarantee letter is, but I sent my fiance a Form I-134 before the interview. I included one in the petition too, but that one didn't have my 2014 tax transcripts in it.

The interviewer was nice and professional, but many people's experience vary widely. They go from "Hi! We already have your visa ready" to "You shall never get this visa! MUAHAHAHA!!"

There was a Kabul embassy YouTube video and I found several others for different USEMs. Try reading USEM reviews here on VJ. Many post the questions on their reviews. Your two countries are from probably "low fraud" countries, so you probably won't have too much of a problem. We hardly had any problems ourselves!

Signature coming soon...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Go to the Embassy review section, link at top of this page and read on others' experiences.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

I don't know what a guarantee letter is, but I sent my fiance a Form I-134 before the interview. I included one in the petition too, but that one didn't have my 2014 tax transcripts in it.

The interviewer was nice and professional, but many people's experience vary widely. They go from "Hi! We already have your visa ready" to "You shall never get this visa! MUAHAHAHA!!"

There was a Kabul embassy YouTube video and I found several others for different USEMs. Try reading USEM reviews here on VJ. Many post the questions on their reviews. Your two countries are from probably "low fraud" countries, so you probably won't have too much of a problem. We hardly had any problems ourselves!

So basically he needs to print out another I-134 form and fill it out along with the tax return part and mail it to me...The letter from the embassy includes a copy of the whole petition thing with a stamp when it was improved and all...so do I just bring this copy thing with me or I ask my finace to print out another I-134 and fill it out and mail it to me?

Oh and there was another interesting thing...I'm supposed to bring a "true copy" of my fiances first page of passport (the one with biometrics and such). I told him what a true copy means in my country but he seemed to be oblivious to anything like this... In my country I just go to the "city hall" and pay the court/law fees or sth and they stamp it and sign it that it's a real copy of a legal document and that's it. is it the same in US?

I'm not that worried about being denied or anything...I'm just curious in general what to expect...like before any exam you try to learn what kind of questions you may be asked and how many and what does it take to get certain grade... :) Basically I like to be somewhat prepared that this is not a thing I should fear or work myself up too much about. :)

So basically he needs to print out another I-134 form and fill it out along with the tax return part and mail it to me...The letter from the embassy includes a copy of the whole petition thing with a stamp when it was improved and all...so do I just bring this copy thing with me or I ask my fiance to print out another I-134 and fill it out and mail it to me?

Oh and there was another interesting thing...I'm supposed to bring a "true copy" of my fiances first page of passport (the one with biometrics and such). I told him what a true copy means in my country but he seemed to be oblivious to anything like this... In my country I just go to the "city hall" and pay the court/law fees or sth and they stamp it and sign it that it's a real copy of a legal document and that's it. is it the same in US?

You can probably use either form - the one he downloads and the one the USEM sent is probably the same thing.

The US doesn't have anything like your "True Copy" deal. Maybe try:

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/services/obtain-copies-of-passport-records.html#1925to Present

http://www.uscis.gov/tools/how-do-i-customer-guides/how-do-i-guides-us-citizens/how-do-i-obtain-certified-true-copies-certificate-naturalization

Hope this helps!

Signature coming soon...

Timeline

You can probably use either form - the one he downloads and the one the USEM sent is probably the same thing.

The US doesn't have anything like your "True Copy" deal. Maybe try:

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/services/obtain-copies-of-passport-records.html#1925to Present

http://www.uscis.gov/tools/how-do-i-customer-guides/how-do-i-guides-us-citizens/how-do-i-obtain-certified-true-copies-certificate-naturalization

Hope this helps!

Thank you, i'll let Andy know about this. It's strange for the list of things I need to present at the interview is in my language and translating it to english is quite hard for most things have a specific birocratic names that aren't derived from latin or greek or sth you could relate to...so it's more of a guessing game. I sent an email to the embassy asking about this and I guess they'll let me know...if I learn anything or as I'll do the medical and interview I'll post everything here....it may come usefull to others who are as lost as I am right now. :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Sounds like you need to Read the Guides because there are more documents and financial evidence that is required that you are not mentioning.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread is moved from K-1 Process forum to the Embassy/Consulate forum -- topic chiefly involves that stage. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi everyone,

this has probably been asked a lot, but here it goes: How does an interview look like? What do they ask you and how long does it take? Were they nice?

We've just got approved our petition on 30th september (filed on 2nd february) and I got the letter from the embassy at the end of October. Now my fiance was with me until 25th of November and we decided to spend time together rather than run around looking for all the needed documents....

I also have a question considering that-- It says on the letter that I'm suppose to bring original guarantee letter and I-134 form: What does that mean? Do we print out another form we sent in for petition or what is that?

Thank you everyone and good look <3

Kristina

Hello Kristina,

I went through the K1 interview in 2014 at the US Embassy Manila. They were nice but they asked me a lot of questions. There were actually two interviews. One was a pre screening and then the actual interview.. (this may be different at your embassy).

Pre- screening interview – as I got to the window I greeted the lady filipino CO.

Questions that she asked:

1. Who is your petitioner?
  2. What is your name?
  3. When did you meet?
  4. How did you meet?
  5. How long have you been together?
  6. Do you have copies of your fiance’s divorce decree?
  7. Do you have copies of your conversation? Present it to the CO later.
  8. Do you have your photos? Show it in the window.
  • She instructed me which to give (birth certificate, Cenomar, NBI Clearance (for travel abroad) and Income Tax Return (Form 1040) .
  • She did not ask for the form I-134 Affidavit of Support and pay stubs (W-2).
  • She reviewed the Income Tax Returns and confirmed about my fiance’s business.
  • She asked me if I brought our pictures and conversations. Since my fiance was divorced, she also asked if I had the copy of his divorce decree. She asked me about my previous travel abroad and confirmed if I really didn’t go there for work.

k-1 visa process Interview QUESTIONS:

• Whats your name?
  • Who is your petitioner?
  • What is your relation to the petitioner?
  • What can you say about your fiance?
  • How many times did he get divorced?
  • Does he have children? How many and how old are they ? What are their names?
  • Does your fiance have a house?
  • Does he live there?
  • Where do the kids live? with him or their mom?
  • What does he do for a living?
  • How often do you communicate? and whats the form of communication
  • Do you have your conversations, can I see?
  • How many times have you traveled abroad? State the date and place of travel.
  • Did you go there for work or vacation? who was with you?
  • You are sure that you didn’t go there for work right?
  • Do you have your photos with you? Let me see it. ( put the dates and the locations of where the photos were taken)

more on my experience here:

http://efilipinowomen.com/k-1-visa-process-interview-experience-co-questions-aug-2014/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

i134 is the affidavit of support. This document has to be completed by your US Petitioner. They want the original one that your fiance signed and sent to you. This document also requires supporting documents that will verify that your petitioner makes enough money to support you (those can all be copies) but the i134, affidavit of support is supposed to be original.. at least that is what we did and it worked.

Here is more on the i134:

http://www.uscis.gov/i-134

Here is how we did it:

Timeline

Hello Kristina,

I went through the K1 interview in 2014 at the US Embassy Manila. They were nice but they asked me a lot of questions. There were actually two interviews. One was a pre screening and then the actual interview.. (this may be different at your embassy).

Pre- screening interview – as I got to the window I greeted the lady filipino CO.

Questions that she asked:

1. Who is your petitioner?
  2. What is your name?
  3. When did you meet?
  4. How did you meet?
  5. How long have you been together?
  6. Do you have copies of your fiance’s divorce decree?
  7. Do you have copies of your conversation? Present it to the CO later.
  8. Do you have your photos? Show it in the window.
  • She instructed me which to give (birth certificate, Cenomar, NBI Clearance (for travel abroad) and Income Tax Return (Form 1040) .
  • She did not ask for the form I-134 Affidavit of Support and pay stubs (W-2).
  • She reviewed the Income Tax Returns and confirmed about my fiance’s business.
  • She asked me if I brought our pictures and conversations. Since my fiance was divorced, she also asked if I had the copy of his divorce decree. She asked me about my previous travel abroad and confirmed if I really didn’t go there for work.

k-1 visa process Interview QUESTIONS:

• Whats your name?
  • Who is your petitioner?
  • What is your relation to the petitioner?
  • What can you say about your fiance?
  • How many times did he get divorced?
  • Does he have children? How many and how old are they ? What are their names?
  • Does your fiance have a house?
  • Does he live there?
  • Where do the kids live? with him or their mom?
  • What does he do for a living?
  • How often do you communicate? and whats the form of communication
  • Do you have your conversations, can I see?
  • How many times have you traveled abroad? State the date and place of travel.
  • Did you go there for work or vacation? who was with you?
  • You are sure that you didn’t go there for work right?
  • Do you have your photos with you? Let me see it. ( put the dates and the locations of where the photos were taken)

more on my experience here:

http://efilipinowomen.com/k-1-visa-process-interview-experience-co-questions-aug-2014/

Thank you for your extensive answer. Your interview seems very throughout. I've spoken to people from Slovenia, who petitioned for K-1 and how their interviews went and they said it was very relaxed, didn't ask much,just general stuff and that it was over within 15min and they got to pick up the visa within 3 days.

Baron's reply made me think and I decided to post what kind of documents they ask of me (before I didn't mention it all for I know everything else, just this one thing about I-134 thing is baffling me) for others may find this useful:

-My passport and that it's valid for at least 6 months after the issue of visa

-Two 5x5cm photos (only USA uses this format, all other country have the standard,so you need to be sure to get the right photo studio to get pics taken) with specific dimensions and where and how my face needs to be plus 3 5x5cm photos for the medical (I do wonder what are these for)

- my original birth certificate (if I get it printed as international document I can present it as such otherwise I need to get a Formal translation)

- A document stating I was never punished for any crime (Ministry of justice of my country) and another separate document stating that I'm not prosecuted of any criminal act (regional court) and get them both Formally translated.

- Guarantee/Warranty letter - original I-134 form from my fiance with added Tax return ---> that's the part I'm confused with...not really sure what they want here...

- Results of medical check up (supposedly they'll do a general check up, ask me of my medical history, do hemogram (normal blood work), check my vaccination records, X-ray of chest and tuberculosis test and I think that is all...oh and it shouldn't cost more than 190eur )

- Need to bring 265$ in cash or equivalent in euros

- Filed out DS-160 form - I needed to print out the confirmation page

- True copy of my fiancé's passport- only the first page, where the biometrics are. (another thing I'm not sure of and will ask in SLovenian group)

Then it says as I'll obtain all these documents I may schedule an interview.

Hope this helps whoever may need to know this... I'll post more as I learn more..

Wish you a pleasant day.

K.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

There are some youtube videos too if you search. There is one specifically for Jamaica that shows the interview process. It's probably fairly similar in other embassies also.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=immigrant+visa+interview+us+embassy

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.