81 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-5 Timeline

In my opinion I would think the easier route for you is for your now 17 year old child to file for you when s/he settles when s/he qualifies to do so.

Not really. Having a child who is a US citizen will not help a parent to immigrate to the US, if said parent is permanently barred from the US.

The OP was denied a visa because the CO accused her of immigration fraud. Right? The CO said the denial is because the marriage is fake and just a means of coming to the US. That's immigration fraud.

Those who are deemed to have committed immigration fraud are permanently barred from the entry to the US. Therefore, if and when someone else petitions for the OP, she'll have to file for a waiver of inadmissibility.

Unfortunately, there's no waiver of inadmissibility available for parents of US citizens. Therefore, even if the child files for his mother, the petition will be denied.

Now, the only way for the OP to overcome the permanent bar is to convince the CO that she did not lie and did not participate in any immigration fraud. If she manages to do that, then she'll get her visa and join her husband. Everybody already laid out very nicely, what is needed for that (detailed timelines, legitimate proof, and a logical explanation of their story). If she doesn't manage to do that, then I'm afraid she'll never get any kind of visa to the US, ever.

I must admit I am the worlds biggest cynic, the fact this whole story sounds completely dodgy is just my opinion, but we have to remember one thing

This case made it to interview...................there must have been a level of conclusive evidence to get this far?

Or are we/me missing something here?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

***Another non-constructive post removed along with a member's access to this thread.***

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

I must admit I am the worlds biggest cynic, the fact this whole story sounds completely dodgy is just my opinion, but we have to remember one thing

This case made it to interview...................there must have been a level of conclusive evidence to get this far?

Correct me if I'm completely wrong, only experience I have of spousal visa is skimming through the instructions for the I-130 form a moment ago... There doesn't seem to be that much requirements to fulfill to be able to file for it which makes it seem pretty easy to get to the embassy stage. Only thing would be regarding what dates they put down as being previously married etc. But like I said, I'm not familiar with it and it's just my theory.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Okay lets cover this timeline. You and your husband have a 17,15 and 13 year old. He left for US or found an American woman looks like right after the youngest was born like 2002 looks like.

When did he get to US? Because you say he and ex-wife have a 10 year old. That's 3 years between your last and he meeting someone else getting petitioned and moving to US.

How long after he got citizenship did he divorce? How long was he married to the USC? This all plays into the thought process why you were denied.

Ayisi&Phyllis it matters a great deal who you married when that marriage resulted in you getting citizenship and you dumping that spouse afterward and then petitioning for your other family in your country. This is one of the BIG Red Flags that get many in African countries (especially Ghana and Nigeria) in AP or flat our denied.

dwheels76,

I agree with what you said and it looks like "someone was probably used and dumped with the full knowledge of someone" .

Just for argument sake say her husband committed a fraud, why is this woman and her kids paying for it?

I don't understand that part.

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Plenty of people make it to the interview, get accused of immigration fraud, get denied and permanently barred.

That's the job of the consulate (not USCIS or NVC), to try to weed out the fakes from the real deal, and to discover if there're any bars to entry.

The USCIS approval only means that they've established that a basis for the petition seems to exist. The NVC only prepares the package of the documents for the consulate.

It is the ultimate responsibility of the consulate to determine that all of the presented documents are not fake, that the person being interviewed is not fake (i.e., not someone else pretending to be the applicant), that the marriage relationship is bona fide, that no bars to entry exist, etc.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

dwheels76,

I agree with what you said and it looks like "someone was probably used and dumped with the full knowledge of someone" .

Just for argument sake say her husband committed a fraud, why is this woman and her kids paying for it?

For the sake of argument: if husband did commit fraud, she was probably in on it too. He marries a USC for citizenship, dumps her and then tries to get the OP over and the CO sees fraud and she gets denied because of visa fraud.

Timeline

Obaasima, that last option if everything else fails is for your husband to file for the children before they turn 21. Then the children can file for you.

It might be the longest route.

Also, if your husband had an amicable divorce from the other woman and say she is willing to vouch for the good faith marriage he had with her, than you can use a sworn statement from her to refute CO claims in addition to whatever evidence you have to show that your marriage is genuine.

Good luck

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Plenty of people make it to the interview, get accused of immigration fraud, get denied and permanently barred.

That's the job of the consulate (not USCIS or NVC), to try to weed out the fakes from the real deal, and to discover if there're any bars to entry.

The USCIS approval only means that they've established that a basis for the petition seems to exist. The NVC only prepares the package of the documents for the consulate.

It is the ultimate responsibility of the consulate to determine that all of the presented documents are not fake, that the person being interviewed is not fake (i.e., not someone else pretending to be the applicant), that the marriage relationship is bona fide, that no bars to entry exist, etc.

I never knew that

I guess having filed through the UK, and attended a quite simplistic interview I assumed all the work was done by the NVC

I stand corrected

Timeline

For the sake of argument: if husband did commit fraud, she was probably in on it too. He marries a USC for citizenship, dumps her and then tries to get the OP over and the CO sees fraud and she gets denied because of visa fraud.

Keyword you used was "Probably",

so it is possible she didn't know. I lived in Ghana and I have heard stories of wives who knowingly agreed and participated in such frauds but there are other women who were impregnated and customs forced the man to perform certain rites and the man disappeared only to surface decades later to do the right thing. which is to marry the woman. I don't know if this applies to this lady but I will give her the benefit of the doubt.

We can only advise her based on what she reveals to us.

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

dwheels76,

The kids will not be paying for it. A minor is not responsible for the actions of his parents. The kids would only pay if the father's citizenship gets revoked, if he's ever accused of getting his green card through false pretenses. But since that's hard to prove and expensive to prosecute at this stage, he and the kids will be fine.

The woman however can be accused (theoretically) of two different things. First, that she willfully participated in the fraud committed by her husband (i.e., a plan to marry a US wife for a green card, get naturalized, and then bring over the original family). Second, that their current marriage is a sham and just a means of bringing her over to the US to be with her kids.

Either accusation is enough for a visa denial and ban. That's why it's very important for her to gather all evidence to the contrary, and to prove to the CO that both her current marriage is bona fide and also that her husband's prior marriage to a USC was bona fide.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

dwheels76,

The kids are not paying for it because they have already secured immigrant visas.

in the wife's case she can't be a beneficiary of a supposed "immigration fraud". not saying it is a fraud though :)

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

I never knew that

I guess having filed through the UK, and attended a quite simplistic interview I assumed all the work was done by the NVC

I stand corrected

well not in "high fraud" countries like Ghana. Interviews play a big part

Timeline

The kids are not paying for it because they have already secured immigrant visas.

in the wife's case she can't be a beneficiary of a supposed "immigration fraud". not saying it is a fraud though :)

Got it. I skipped over the kids getting visa par. my bad.

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.