Chime19

How to File Complaint

51 posts in this topic

Does anyone know how/where you can file complaints related to an embassy? We have applied twice for a B1/B2 visa for my husband's brother (my hubby is a K-1 holder). We wanted him to be the best man in our wedding ceremony, which is planned for the end of this month, but we didn't want to buy a plane ticket until they approved his visa. So he went a couple weeks ago to interview for the visa and the consular gave him some trouble because there wasn't an ink signature on the letter that I wrote for him (I signed it and scanned it to him). However, they told him it would be approved and kept his passport and said come back in two days to pick up your visa. At this point he told us it was approved so we purchased a plane ticket for 2 weekends later. When he went back to get the passport and visa, the consular told him they changed their mind and needed more evidence. I attempted to email more evidence on his behalf to the embassy using the email address they listed on their website. The email never went through, though, apparently. When he arrived the following day with more evidence, the consular refused to see him and eventually told him he needed to reapply altogether, because he was rejected.
So we spent the money to re-apply and submitted his application again and scheduled another interview. This time we sent him with all sorts of documents, including the plane tickets we purchased, the wedding invitation, copies of mine and my husband's passports, letters from his employer and his school, as well as an additional letter from me asking them to contact me if anything else was needed, because we would happily supply any documentation to keep us from losing this $2000 plane ticket and the best man at our wedding ceremony. In the end, the consular acknowledged that there was more than enough evidence but told him that he thought he didn't have strong enough ties to Malawi (i.e. a wife and kids) or anyone powerful to vouch for him (keep in mind the man in the office next door vouched for him, and we had letters from his employer and college. When we appealed to our friend at the embassy to look into it, he said the consular told him that he didn't believe that I wrote the letters, and that my husband forged them.
Also keep in mind this same consular granted my husband's K-1 visa a couple months ago with no trouble, and even wished him well and had extensive conversations with him, giving him marriage advice, etc.

So essentially, I've had to cancel plane tickets and hotel reservations, not to mention we're less than 3 weeks away from our wedding and the best man isn't able to come. I've lost around $1700, simply because the consular mislead us and then decided to hold some unknown, untrue, unprovable grievance against us. I'm livid.

Where can we file complaints? If they embassy has done this to him, I'm sure it's happened to others. I've had so many problems with them saying one thing and doing another. They rescheduled my husband's K-1 interview 3 times and then promised him his visa would be printed for 3 days in a row without actually doing it. Who can we contact about these things??

ROC:

11/14/17 I-751 Package mailed (Vermont)

11/15/17 Package delivered

11/17/17 NOA1 date

11/25/17 NOA1 received in mail

K1 Visa process:

9/11/14 I-129F Packet Received by USCIS
9/15/14 NOA1 (text)
9/16/14 Status Update: Alien Registration # Changed

5/11/15 NOA2 (8:30 pm text, 238 days since NOA1)

6/09/15 Consulate Received (had to call embassy to check)
6/12/15 Packet Received
6/18/15 Packet Completed
(had to call/visit embassy to schedule interview)

7/09/15 Interview Completed- APPROVED!! (after delay for US system errors, and rescheduling/postponing 3 times)

7/16/15 Visa In Hand (told to "come back tomorrow" first two times they said it would be ready)

7/18/15 POE Washington, D.C.

8/1/15 Legally Married
8/13/15 Filed for AOJ (also EAD and Travel)

8/20/15 NOA1 for all 3 filings

9/08/15 Bio Appt

9/26/15 Wedding Ceremony!

10/16/15 EAD and AP Approved

10/23/15 EAD Card Received

11/23/15 AOS Approved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (no interview, no warning- completely unexpected, but so exciting)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Does anyone know how/where you can file complaints related to an embassy? We have applied twice for a B1/B2 visa for my husband's brother (my hubby is a K-1 holder). We wanted him to be the best man in our wedding ceremony, which is planned for the end of this month, but we didn't want to buy a plane ticket until they approved his visa. So he went a couple weeks ago to interview for the visa and the consular gave him some trouble because there wasn't an ink signature on the letter that I wrote for him (I signed it and scanned it to him). However, they told him it would be approved and kept his passport and said come back in two days to pick up your visa. At this point he told us it was approved so we purchased a plane ticket for 2 weekends later. When he went back to get the passport and visa, the consular told him they changed their mind and needed more evidence. I attempted to email more evidence on his behalf to the embassy using the email address they listed on their website. The email never went through, though, apparently. When he arrived the following day with more evidence, the consular refused to see him and eventually told him he needed to reapply altogether, because he was rejected.

So we spent the money to re-apply and submitted his application again and scheduled another interview. This time we sent him with all sorts of documents, including the plane tickets we purchased, the wedding invitation, copies of mine and my husband's passports, letters from his employer and his school, as well as an additional letter from me asking them to contact me if anything else was needed, because we would happily supply any documentation to keep us from losing this $2000 plane ticket and the best man at our wedding ceremony. In the end, the consular acknowledged that there was more than enough evidence but told him that he thought he didn't have strong enough ties to Malawi (i.e. a wife and kids) or anyone powerful to vouch for him (keep in mind the man in the office next door vouched for him, and we had letters from his employer and college. When we appealed to our friend at the embassy to look into it, he said the consular told him that he didn't believe that I wrote the letters, and that my husband forged them.

Also keep in mind this same consular granted my husband's K-1 visa a couple months ago with no trouble, and even wished him well and had extensive conversations with him, giving him marriage advice, etc.

So essentially, I've had to cancel plane tickets and hotel reservations, not to mention we're less than 3 weeks away from our wedding and the best man isn't able to come. I've lost around $1700, simply because the consular mislead us and then decided to hold some unknown, untrue, unprovable grievance against us. I'm livid.

Where can we file complaints? If they embassy has done this to him, I'm sure it's happened to others. I've had so many problems with them saying one thing and doing another. They rescheduled my husband's K-1 interview 3 times and then promised him his visa would be printed for 3 days in a row without actually doing it. Who can we contact about these things??

I think you can file a complaint here: https://oig.state.gov/hotline

You may contact the Executive Office via the mail at: U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs, Executive Office, 2401 E Street, NW, Room H-1001, Washington, DC 20520.

Sorry to hear of your experience. Sounds like a corrupt official. It will be his word against yours. It could get messy.

I'm not really sure what you wish to complain about, you are told enough times, do not give up your job, do not buy plane tickets, do not sell your house etc

You wish to complain because you didn't follow the advice given to you?

I respectfully disagree. An official of the US Government should not have the privilege to tell an outright lie, (i.e. "Your visa is approved, come pick it up tomorrow."). Yes, we jumped the gun a bit. But we were assured time and time again by the consulate that we were doing the correct thing. We were told to bring more evidence, and that plane tickets would be a good addition to that evidence.
I get that the consular has the right to deny the visa, but should he tell an individual that with a bit more proof, approval will be his tomorrow? Because he did so.
I am familiar with how things work in Malawi, and I am familiar with government agencies which operate very impractically, i.e. asking for proof that they advise you against having in the first place.
I do not wish to complain about the denial of the visa, but the fact that we were led to believe untrue things on multiple occasions by authorities in positions of power. That should not be so.

ROC:

11/17/17 NOA1 date

K1 Visa process:

9/15/14 NOA1 (text)

6/12/15 Packet Received
6/18/15 Packet Completed

7/09/15 Interview Completed- APPROVED!! (after delay for US system errors, and rescheduling/postponing 3 times)

7/16/15 Visa In Hand (told to "come back tomorrow" first two times they said it would be ready)

8/1/15 Legally Married

9/08/15 Bio Appt

11/23/15 AOS Approved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (no interview, no warning- completely unexpected, but so exciting)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I respectfully disagree. An official of the US Government should not have the privilege to tell an outright lie, (i.e. "Your visa is approved, come pick it up tomorrow."). Yes, we jumped the gun a bit. But we were assured time and time again by the consulate that we were doing the correct thing. We were told to bring more evidence, and that plane tickets would be a good addition to that evidence.

I get that the consular has the right to deny the visa, but should he tell an individual that with a bit more proof, approval will be his tomorrow? Because he did so.

I am familiar with how things work in Malawi, and I am familiar with government agencies which operate very impractically, i.e. asking for proof that they advise you against having in the first place.

I do not wish to complain about the denial of the visa, but the fact that we were led to believe untrue things on multiple occasions by authorities in positions of power. That should not be so.

What proof do you have that if actually approved the visa would have been issued in time for the wedding? That seems to be your complaint not so much in the denial or lack of approval, but the timing of it. I was approved a month before I got visa in hand with no AP.

Edited by Shauneg

I have evidence of many different friends who have been through this process with virtually no problem. I've aided 3 individuals in getting various types of visas at different times through this embassy with little to no evidence of any of the things Anthony was asked for. I'm not looking to get into an argument with strangers on an internet forum. You've said your piece and blame me for buying a plane ticket. However, reason and experience informed my decision, and although I knew it was a risk, I made what I felt to be an informed decision on good faith, trusting a united states official to keep his word. If he could not guarantee anything, he should not have informed us that he could. if the visa was not approved, he should not have said that it was and kept the passport to give further appearance of that approval. THAT is my complaint.
I lived in Malawi for several years of my life and understand how the system and culture work. I have recently seen a trend in the embassy making guarantees that they do not honor. I also know the tendency for corruption in the government systems in Malawi, and have seen that the embassy operates more by Malawian standards than American ones. I would only like my voice to be acknowledged and accountability to be in place. I really don't feel that's too much to ask.

ROC:

11/17/17 NOA1 date

K1 Visa process:

9/15/14 NOA1 (text)

6/12/15 Packet Received
6/18/15 Packet Completed

8/1/15 Legally Married

9/08/15 Bio Appt

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have evidence of many different friends who have been through this process with virtually no problem. I've aided 3 individuals in getting various types of visas at different times through this embassy with little to no evidence of any of the things Anthony was asked for. I'm not looking to get into an argument with strangers on an internet forum. You've said your piece and blame me for buying a plane ticket. However, reason and experience informed my decision, and although I knew it was a risk, I made what I felt to be an informed decision on good faith, trusting a united states official to keep his word. If he could not guarantee anything, he should not have informed us that he could. if the visa was not approved, he should not have said that it was and kept the passport to give further appearance of that approval. THAT is my complaint.

I lived in Malawi for several years of my life and understand how the system and culture work. I have recently seen a trend in the embassy making guarantees that they do not honor. I also know the tendency for corruption in the government systems in Malawi, and have seen that the embassy operates more by Malawian standards than American ones. I would only like my voice to be acknowledged and accountability to be in place. I really don't feel that's too much to ask.

Chime,

I sympathize with your plight...it's too bad. Perhaps there is a venue for you to be acknowledged, (I don't know it) but you're unlikely to find any accountability. As previously pointed out, the CO's decision can't be overturned/changed.

T

And still bought the plane ticket knowing that?

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

From what I've seen on here and from what I've experienced and seen in the London Embassy I think it's a common tactic to tell an applicant that if they come back with additional evidence then their visa will be granted when it is in fact being denied.

It gets them out of the embassy and away without causing a fuss and lets the CO get to their next applicant without getting in to an argument with someone who may feel their visa is being denied unjustly.

It might seem a cruel and heartless thing for them to do but I'm sure all the COs have learned from experience that it's best to get applicants in and out as soon as possible and some people may cause problems unless they're given hope that they'll get their visa approved very soon after.

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Never heard of a consular officer guarantee a visa.

I've heard them drop strong hints, telling people (myself included) that if they do X, Y or Z then they should get approved.

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

It was his application, not yours, so if any complaint is made it would be one he will be making.

My Brother was my best man, he bought his own ticket and paid his own way. Just wondering why you bought the ticket?

They are allowed to lie, the Supreme Court said so.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.