14u14me

Can I travel while conditional permanent residencecy is on process

10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am already a permanent resident of USA , I m asking about the situation of my friend if she can travel back home to our country while processing the conditional permanent residency. As far as I know she cannot until she got her permanent residency. Can you please correct me If I am wrong. She said she and her husband will travel on October and all of us her friends are worried.

...Unless she has an H-1, H-4, L-1, L-2, K-3, or V-1 visa, for which AP is not required if they are still eligible for such status.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Timeline

What do you mean by "while processing the conditional permanent residency"? Is she in the process of getting conditional permanent residency (i.e. she is doing Adjustment of Status)? Or is she in the process of removing conditions on her conditional permanent residency, to become a non-conditional permanent resident?

Timeline

What do you mean by "while processing the conditional permanent residency"? Is she in the process of getting conditional permanent residency (i.e. she is doing Adjustment of Status)? Or is she in the process of removing conditions on her conditional permanent residency, to become a non-conditional permanent resident?

She just arrived January 2015, got married March 14, 2015 and she mentioned last week she is in the process of getting conditional permanent residency (i.e. she is doing Adjustment of Status) and she said she just finished doing the biometrics. And to our amazed she said to us she is going to Philippines with her husband on October 2015. One of us asked her did she have any document like green card, or a conditional permanent residency or either working visa yet she going back to Philippines by October? She said nothing of those that was mention that she have she just finished a biometrics the requirement in getting the conditional permanent residency.

Timeline

One more question is there any possibilities that the husband can hire lawyer to do the process of removing conditions on her conditional permanent residency, to become a non-conditional permanent resident? according to the husband they don't need to do the steps that my friend want to explained to her wife after they got married because he will hire a lawyer.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

One more question is there any possibilities that the husband can hire lawyer to do the process of removing conditions on her conditional permanent residency, to become a non-conditional permanent resident? according to the husband they don't need to do the steps that my friend want to explained to her wife after they got married because he will hire a lawyer.

Hi,

My advice is accurate. She needs AP to come back to the U.S. If she leaves without AP, she will not be allowed back.

Removing the condition on her green card happens after having her conditional green card for 2 years. She can not remove it earlier than that.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Workings and Traveling from General Immigration - As the OP is asking about traveling before GC is issued.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.