13 posts in this topic

Hello!

I had my interview today in Dublin and it went swimmingly. The officer (who happened to be from the town I'm moving to!) told me I'd have my visa in a week or so, and said "congratulations".

However, when I got home I opened up the medical envelope (the copy made for me - the Embassy kept what they were supposed to) and on it I'm marked as "Syphilis Positive".

This is going to sound ridiculous and I'm as embarrassed and upset about talking about it as you can imagine, but I don't know where I got it from.

My (same-sex female) partner and I haven't had any contact that could have transmitted anything between us. I am her first.

I however, have had a bunch of boyfriends. I've been tested for STDs along the way and was always 'clean'. Since my last test years ago I was with one guy, who told me he had also been tested, and so we were a little more relaxed with STD protection.

I DO have arthritis, and I also had my vaccinations just a couple of month ago. I read briefly that these can show up on a syphilis test resulting as a positive. This might be the cause of it.

My questions are (now that I've probably grossed people out enough), would I have been approved my visa if it was a real syphilis outcome? Would they have known the difference at the embassy when they looked through my medical file, or could they have seen that my vaccinations were recent and approved me on that?

Or can I expect to get delayed once they process the application in the next couple of days and see the positive result??

Also, more importantly, what does this mean for my AOS once I go to the States? What do I do?

Should I go to my local doctor, tell him I tested positive and ask him for treatment, and get him to give me a letter saying such?

Please help. I can't find anything about it on the forum. Everyone else has their syphilis detected before they interview and are delayed or denied, but I was told today that I was [going to be] approved...

History
Nov 2005 - Became friends online...... Oct 2006 - Met in person for the first time...... May 2014 - Became girlfriends...... Nov 2014 - I asked her...... Apr 2015 - She asked me

K-1 Visa
2 May 2015 - Mailed I-129F
7 May 2015 - NOA1 received. We got California! (+5 days)
18 June 2015 - NOA2 received. (+6 weeks)

14 July 2015 - NVC received. Had to call them. (+26 days)

23 July 2015 - NVC sent case to Embassy in Dublin. Also had to call the NVC. No notice in mail from NVC and CEAC website still said "At NVC" for 3 more days. (+9 days)

30 July 2015 - Dublin Embassy received case. (+1 week)

31 July 2015 - Packed 3 received after requesting it. It was emailed to Irish Beneficiary. They never contacted US Petitioner as they said they would, probably because I was emailing them already. (+1 day)

4 Aug 2015 - Notification of Readiness emailed to embassy. (+4 days as I had to wait to print necessary documents).

5 Aug 2015 - Medical. Booked before Embassy received case. (Appointment was 9 days after I called to make it)

12 Aug 2015 - Packet 4 received. Notified of interview date. (+8 days after Notification of Readiness was sent).

21 Aug 2015 - INTERVIEW! (+17 days after Notice of Readiness was sent; +22 days after embassy received our case; +106 days, or 15 weeks 1 day, since NOA1)

28 Aug 2015 - Visa Recieved in the mail. (+1 week since interview)

23 Sept 2015 - POE Orlando, FL

9 Oct 2015 - Applied for SSN

17 Oct 2015 - SSN recieved in mail.

19 Nov 2015 - MARRIAGE!

16 Dec 2015 - Filed for AOS/EAD/AP

14 Jan 2015 - Biometrics appointment (+1 month)

13 Feb 2015 - GC ISSUED! (+1 month) NO INTERVIEW! And no EAD/AP issued!

For a detailed account of my Medical experience, read my blog post HERE

For a detailed account of my Interview in Dublin, read it HERE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Barbados
Timeline

So the CO approved the visa if it is issued and not caught during AP, then your AOS may be delayed until you're treated. At least that's what I've read.

*medical professional hat on*
If you are indeed syphilis + (getting a 2nd opinion blood work done can't hurt) you NEED to be staged and begin treatment ASAP. Depending on the stage it will either be oral doxycycline or ceftriaxone or several months of intramuscular shots in the bum of penicillin G. But I urge you to seek that 2nd opinion before you leave Eire.

02 Aug 2012 -- Met online

23 Feb 2013 -- Relations began (L)

19 May 2014 -- Visited! :luv:

26 Jun 2014 -- Engaged :dancing:

15 Oct 2014 -- I-129F package finished and mailed to Dallas

17 Oct 2014 -- NOA1 (email) TSC

22 Oct 2014 -- ARN updated

13 May 2015 -- NOA2 (email) :dancing:

19 May 2015 -- NOA2 Hardcopy

4 June 2015 -- NVC received (I think lol) Case number assigned.

11th June 2015 -- NVC sent to Bridgetown

16th June 2015 -- Bridgetown received

17th June 2015 - PCKT3 received
30th June 2015 - PCKT4 received

9th July 2015 - Medical (too many needles :/ )

21st July 2015 - Interview date :goofy:

10th August 2015 - Approved

12th August 2015 - Issued

13th August 2015 - Visa in hand via DHL

24th August 2015 - US arrival (POE MIA)

I am the beneficiary

So the CO approved the visa if it is issued and not caught during AP, then your AOS may be delayed until you're treated. At least that's what I've read.

*medical professional hat on*

If you are indeed syphilis + (getting a 2nd opinion blood work done can't hurt) you NEED to be staged and begin treatment ASAP. Depending on the stage it will either be oral doxycycline or ceftriaxone or several months of intramuscular shots in the bum of penicillin G. But I urge you to seek that 2nd opinion before you leave Eire.

Thank you. I'm just praying that the visa isn't delayed because of it.

Of course I want to get treated for it. It delaying my AOS (if we get that far without delays) sucks, but if I have it I have it. I will go to my doctor as soon as possible and ask for treatment.

History
Nov 2005 - Became friends online...... Oct 2006 - Met in person for the first time...... May 2014 - Became girlfriends...... Nov 2014 - I asked her...... Apr 2015 - She asked me

K-1 Visa

23 July 2015 - NVC sent case to Embassy in Dublin. Also had to call the NVC. No notice in mail from NVC and CEAC website still said "At NVC" for 3 more days. (+9 days)

31 July 2015 - Packed 3 received after requesting it. It was emailed to Irish Beneficiary. They never contacted US Petitioner as they said they would, probably because I was emailing them already. (+1 day)

4 Aug 2015 - Notification of Readiness emailed to embassy. (+4 days as I had to wait to print necessary documents).

5 Aug 2015 - Medical. Booked before Embassy received case. (Appointment was 9 days after I called to make it)

12 Aug 2015 - Packet 4 received. Notified of interview date. (+8 days after Notification of Readiness was sent).

21 Aug 2015 - INTERVIEW! (+17 days after Notice of Readiness was sent; +22 days after embassy received our case; +106 days, or 15 weeks 1 day, since NOA1)

19 Nov 2015 - MARRIAGE!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from K-1 Process forum to the K-1 Case Progress subforum. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Hello!

I had my interview today in Dublin and it went swimmingly. The officer (who happened to be from the town I'm moving to!) told me I'd have my visa in a week or so, and said "congratulations".

However, when I got home I opened up the medical envelope (the copy made for me - the Embassy kept what they were supposed to) and on it I'm marked as "Syphilis Positive".

This is going to sound ridiculous and I'm as embarrassed and upset about talking about it as you can imagine, but I don't know where I got it from.

My (same-sex female) partner and I haven't had any contact that could have transmitted anything between us. I am her first.

I however, have had a bunch of boyfriends. I've been tested for STDs along the way and was always 'clean'. Since my last test years ago I was with one guy, who told me he had also been tested, and so we were a little more relaxed with STD protection.

I DO have arthritis, and I also had my vaccinations just a couple of month ago. I read briefly that these can show up on a syphilis test resulting as a positive. This might be the cause of it.

My questions are (now that I've probably grossed people out enough), would I have been approved my visa if it was a real syphilis outcome? Would they have known the difference at the embassy when they looked through my medical file, or could they have seen that my vaccinations were recent and approved me on that?

Or can I expect to get delayed once they process the application in the next couple of days and see the positive result??

Also, more importantly, what does this mean for my AOS once I go to the States? What do I do?

Should I go to my local doctor, tell him I tested positive and ask him for treatment, and get him to give me a letter saying such?

Please help. I can't find anything about it on the forum. Everyone else has their syphilis detected before they interview and are delayed or denied, but I was told today that I was [going to be] approved...

I DO have arthritis, and I also had my vaccinations just a couple of month ago. I read briefly that these can show up on a syphilis test resulting as a positive. This might be the cause of it. There are cases everyday in the medical field that a test can, by the slimmest of margins, cause a false positive. Since I am not a Dr. I can't offer much more.

My questions are (now that I've probably grossed people out enough), would I have been approved my visa if it was a real syphilis outcome? If the information was not seen or missed by the interview CO then yes you could have been approved since everything else fell in line.

Would they have known the difference at the embassy when they looked through my medical file, or could they have seen that my vaccinations were recent and approved me on that? Again, they saw that your were approved but may have missed the "Syphilis Positive" indication and based on that found you to be eligible for a visa.

Or can I expect to get delayed once they process the application in the next couple of days and see the positive result?? If you are going to be denied it would be at this stage, the last review prior to visa issuance. They will review your case one more time before "final" approval and visa issuance.

Also, more importantly, what does this mean for my AOS once I go to the States? What do I do? First thing you should do is go to your family doctor and be tested specifically for syphilis or any other STD's. If found, get yourself cured as soon as possible. You then need a letter from your Dr. explaining that your Syphilis is no longer in the infectious stage . You want that incase you need it in the event you have to disprove that you have an STD or if you do/did have syphilis, that you are no longer infectious.

As far as the AOS stage, it depends on the paperwork you have to submit. If your DS-3025 medical examination did not reveal a Class A medical condition and, you have had all your required vaccinations, then you will sail through the AOS process. But, if it did not then you will need to see a CS (Civil Surgeon) for processing the I-693.

Should I go to my local doctor, tell him I tested positive and ask him for treatment, and get him to give me a letter saying such? Yes and for both the reason I stated in the question from above and also it's your life we are talking about here. Syphilis, left untreated, can kill you.

http://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume8-PartB-Chapter6.html

http://www.cdc.gov/std/syphilis/

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDMQFjADahUKEwi20s71vbvHAhXCNT4KHdskBHY&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.fas.org%2Fsgp%2Fcrs%2Fhomesec%2FR40570.pdf&ei=_sjXVbbbN8Lr-AHbyZCwBw&usg=AFQjCNF2uxAw3yTnzWCmKNWeqKv1EfsQHw

Edited by Greenbaum
Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

I DO have arthritis, and I also had my vaccinations just a couple of month ago. I read briefly that these can show up on a syphilis test resulting as a positive. This might be the cause of it. There are cases everyday in the medical field that a test can, by the slimmest of margins, cause a false positive. Since I am not a Dr. I can't offer much more.

My questions are (now that I've probably grossed people out enough), would I have been approved my visa if it was a real syphilis outcome? If the information was not seen or missed by the interview CO then yes you could have been approved since everything else fell in line.

Would they have known the difference at the embassy when they looked through my medical file, or could they have seen that my vaccinations were recent and approved me on that? Again, they saw that your were approved but may have missed the "Syphilis Positive" indication and based on that found you to be eligible for a visa.

Or can I expect to get delayed once they process the application in the next couple of days and see the positive result?? If you are going to be denied it would be at this stage, the last review prior to visa issuance. They will review your case one more time before "final" approval and visa issuance.

Also, more importantly, what does this mean for my AOS once I go to the States? What do I do? First thing you should do is go to your family doctor and be tested specifically for syphilis or any other STD's. If found, get yourself cured as soon as possible. You then need a letter from your Dr. explaining that your Syphilis is no longer in the infectious stage . You want that incase you need it in the event you have to disprove that you have an STD or if you do/did have syphilis, that you are no longer infectious.

As far as the AOS stage, it depends on the paperwork you have to submit. If your DS-3025 medical examination did not reveal a Class A medical condition and, you have had all your required vaccinations, then you will sail through the AOS process. But, if it did not then you will need to see a CS (Civil Surgeon) for processing the I-693.

Should I go to my local doctor, tell him I tested positive and ask him for treatment, and get him to give me a letter saying such? Yes and for both the reason I stated in the question from above and also it's your life we are talking about here. Syphilis, left untreated, can kill you.

http://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume8-PartB-Chapter6.html

http://www.cdc.gov/std/syphilis/

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDMQFjADahUKEwi20s71vbvHAhXCNT4KHdskBHY&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.fas.org%2Fsgp%2Fcrs%2Fhomesec%2FR40570.pdf&ei=_sjXVbbbN8Lr-AHbyZCwBw&usg=AFQjCNF2uxAw3yTnzWCmKNWeqKv1EfsQHw

Thank you, so much. I realise some of my questions seem silly, like "Should I go to my doctor?" but I was in the middle of a mild panic attack over all of it. I'm still losing my mind with worry.

Thank you for your help.

History

K-1 Visa

19 Nov 2015 - MARRIAGE!

Thank you, so much. I realise some of my questions seem silly, like "Should I go to my doctor?" but I was in the middle of a mild panic attack over all of it. I'm still losing my mind with worry.

Thank you for your help.

:thumbs: YW. Keep up posted on your progress please.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

:thumbs: YW. Keep up posted on your progress please.

I will. Thank you!

:)

History

K-1 Visa

19 Nov 2015 - MARRIAGE!

Thanks for the advice, guys. I plan on making an appointment when I can.

After talking to a couple of friends about it they pointed something out. I donated blood regularly for years, up until October last year. Since then I had been ill and had vaccinations so couldn't donate.

When you donate blood they test for diseases including syphilis. If I had it then they would have contacted me about it. My ex boyfriend also donated blood with no issues, and my fiancee also donates blood (as recently as February) and was never confirmed positive for it.

So I'm fairly certain that it's a false positive at this point, caused by my vaccinations two months ago.​

History

K-1 Visa

19 Nov 2015 - MARRIAGE!

Timeline

Like I said it maybe a false positive, but to be safe get a second blood draw done.

I am the beneficiary

Just an update, for anyone who was concerned, or just nosy. :P

I was having trouble contacting the medical doctor to get answers, so I emailed the Embassy, asking them if I should be worried. I was emailed back almost immediately, and was told that the medical report they were given said NEGATIVE. According to them I was super healthy.

Naturally, they were a bit ticked because if I was actually POSITIVE and they were told I had a negative result, that's baaaaaaaaaad for them giving out visas. I scanned the pages I was given and sent them over to the Embassy. I was told, again immediately, that they would contact the clinic first thing in the morning (this morning).

SIX MINUTES after the clinic opened this morning, I got a phone call, telling me that my results were definitely NEGATIVE, and that the "Positive" on my report was a"typo". Not even a false positive...

A TYPO.

I was too relieved to be annoyed, but now that I'm calm again I'm starting to feel it. Can you imagine making a TYPING MISTAKE on someone's MEDICAL REPORT? Not only that but the mistake was saying POSITIVE when it was NEGATIVE!

:ranting::wow:

Anyway, I have nothing to worry about. No need to pay out for more expensive tests or anything. :rolleyes::thumbs:

Thank you for talking to me about it, guys. I really appreciate it. And I appreciate the non-judgement.

History

K-1 Visa

19 Nov 2015 - MARRIAGE!

Timeline

Wow, well I'm glad that everything is fine then ^_^

I am the beneficiary

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.