Mamed

K1 visa and Muslims

25 posts in this topic

Timeline

Hello guys! So glad I found this website. quite along time ago actually but before I was just reading, however I wasn't able to find answer for the most important question. So here's my first topic for that..

I need help from Muslims regarding K1 visa. When fiancée arrives to the USA can we first go to mosque to become married couple by Sharia law and then go to where people normally would, I think it's court, and signup the papers to become married couple by the US law? Or one trip to mosque is enough? I would expect them give the same "signup papers" that are accepted by the government

I have tons of questions but please first answer these

Thank you in advance

I cleaned My Timeline. Hope nobody minds

Hi there ! My name is Dora and my fiancé is Muslim too . we are with the same question. I live in USA now 11 years and really don't know . please if have some answer about that point feel free to post me we really appreciate tjhankjs DSO much in advance !!!!!!

Filed: IR-5 Country: Pakistan
Timeline

i would advised you to send email to islamic research centre in US and discuess the issue with them they will tell you the procedeure as long as i know you can register at local mosque US accept islamic marriages inside US so you can go ahead with local mosque they will do nikkah and after that you have to register ur marriage in a local court.

Thanks so much Amkhan !! All the advices are really very welcome ! We will follow the instructions thanks a lot guys

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hello guys! So glad I found this website. quite along time ago actually but before I was just reading, however I wasn't able to find answer for the most important question. So here's my first topic for that..

I need help from Muslims regarding K1 visa. When fiancée arrives to the USA can we first go to mosque to become married couple by Sharia law and then go to where people normally would, I think it's court, and signup the papers to become married couple by the US law? Or one trip to mosque is enough? I would expect them give the same "signup papers" that are accepted by the government

I have tons of questions but please first answer these

Thank you in advance

Hi,

Contact the Iman you want to perform the ceremony. He will tell you what he wants.

Timeline

i would advised you to send email to islamic research centre in US and discuess the issue with them they will tell you the procedeure as long as i know you can register at local mosque US accept islamic marriages inside US so you can go ahead with local mosque they will do nikkah and after that you have to register ur marriage in a local court.

"They" require the marriage take place in the US, but doesn't specify should it be in mosque (it definitely has to be there) or local court. So basically I was right.

Ps. I was thinking going to local mosques (Arabic and Turkish) but as of I know imams there don't speak English so your advice about Islamic research center seems to be better idea

Thank you

Timeline

Most imams will only marry you if you have a marriage license from the local county. The imam then signs it.

No offence but I don't think this is true. They cannot refuse marry couple (w/o license) because what mosque does has priority over anything else. In other words religion first the rest second

Timeline

islamic research centre is approved by us govt its a offical orgonigaztion imam speaks arabic or does not speak english it has nothing to do with ur marriage they can do you AQAD (Nikkah) its a stardard global verses they use for marriages by sheria law after that you will go through local court certificate but details you can check with local mosque or islamic research websites or by email

Timeline

islamic research centre is approved by us govt its a offical orgonigaztion imam speaks arabic or does not speak english it has nothing to do with ur marriage they can do you AQAD (Nikkah) its a stardard global verses they use for marriages by sheria law after that you will go through local court certificate but details you can check with local mosque or islamic research websites or by email

If he doesn't speak English how I'm gonna talk with imam at local mosque. I don't speak Arabic or Turkish. But I will check out what IRC says.

Timeline

lol ur right but in US peoples speak english i live in Arab country but not all imam speaks arabic here lol try to find indian or pakistani imams they speak english

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I married under islamic laws in Morocco

it is done by the clerk of the court so in the US i would go in that direction

my brother in law was just married by islamic laws in France and he sent the paperwork home to Morocco for his family to register his marriage

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from K-1 Process forum to the Moving to the US forum -- topic involves a phase after K-1. ***

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

In america you must first obtain a marriage license at the court. Then it is your choice who will marry you. A judge can marry you at the court, a minister or priest can marry you at church, or an imam can marry you In the masjid.

The imam will sign the marriage license and that will make your marriage official with the US government. Each state is a little different in their laws, and the amount of time it takes to get a license may vary. In my state, Maryland, a license is issued the same say it is applied for but you must waite 2 days to use it. I am not sure if the Imam can perform a wedding without the license to be halal and then you can marry in the court for it to be legal. You should ask the Imam at the masjid where you plan to marry. I have the same question because my fiance will live in my home from arrival so we need an islamic marriage fast to be halal.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.