KierenHby

New Delhi embassy Interviews

640 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello all,

We will be going through the New Delhi embassy for our CR1 next year and I will be traveling from the East Coast to New Delhi prior to my husband's (to be) interview -- our questions are:

a. Will I be allowed to enter the Embassy? My fiance told me that they only allow people with appointment letters and I gather that only his name will be on such a letter? Any of you petitioners traveled to be with your husbands/wives and were allowed in or turned away at the main gate?

b. Will it help that I travel from the States to New Delhi and be present on his interview? what if I am not allowed into the Embassy...what then? :'(

c. Lastly, this may be silly to ask, but when in India I only wear kurta, dupatta and pants (skinny jeans or salwar), is this an acceptable getup?

Thanks bunches!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

We will be going through the New Delhi embassy for our CR1 next year and I will be traveling from the East Coast to New Delhi prior to my husband's (to be) interview -- our questions are:

a. Will I be allowed to enter the Embassy? My fiance told me that they only allow people with appointment letters and I gather that only his name will be on such a letter? Any of you petitioners traveled to be with your husbands/wives and were allowed in or turned away at the main gate?

b. Will it help that I travel from the States to New Delhi and be present on his interview? what if I am not allowed into the Embassy...what then? :'(

c. Lastly, this may be silly to ask, but when in India I only wear kurta, dupatta and pants (skinny jeans or salwar), is this an acceptable getup?

Thanks bunches!

hello

Well, i am not sure but from what i have heard, most of the time, they do not allow the spouse inside for interview,only the beneficiary is allowed . However at the same time you can always give it a try,if you are able to attend the interview together , it might work in your favour to show that your marriage is genuine.

In my case, he couldnt travel all the way from US to be with me for interview but luckily, managed to get the visa .With regards to your attire, i think it shouldnt be a problem saw lot of people in kurtas as well as in formal wear during the interview. goodluck

06/02/2013- Got Married

USCIS: CR-1

07/05/2013- I130 sent

07/07/2013- NOA1

12/17/2013- NOA2 (APPROVED from California Service Centre)

NVC:

01/06/2014- Received at NVC

01/31/2014- Received case no, Invoice Identification no & provided our email addresses.

02/06/2014-DS-261- Available

02/07/2014-Completed DS-261

02/07/2014-AOS fee invoiced.

02/21/2014-IV fee invoiced.

03/13/2014-Paid both AOS & IV fees.

03/17/2014-Both payments reflecting as PAID

03/24/2014-AOS packet mailed to NVC

03/26/2014-IV packet mailed to NVC

04/02/2014-DS- 260 Completed

04/11/2014- False checklist

04/14/2014- CASE COMPLETE confirmed over the phone.

04/21/2014- Case complete confirmation email received.

CONSULATE: Mumbai

05/01/2014- Interview letter received via email.

05/15/2014- Medical (Chennai)

05/16/2014- Biometrics/OFC (Chennai)

06/03/2014- INTERVIEW date. (((((((((((( A.P.P.R.O.V.E.D.)))))))))))))) :dancing:

06/04/2014 -Ceac site: Administrative processing

06/05/2014- Ceac site: ISSUED. Visa printed.

06/07/2014- Us travel doc site: Passport has been received from the consular section, and is currently being processed for delivery.

06/09/2014- Us travel doc site: Passport ready for pick up.

06/09/2014- Us travel doc site: Passport has been picked up. (collected from VFS office Prestige Atrium)/Visa in HAND.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Hello all,

Thanks bunches!

a. Wife had interview at Mumbai and they did not allow me inside. Only the applicant with the Interview letter was allowed inside.

b. It did help swing the interview in our favor. Wife was asked some basic question and the jackpot question to her was "When did you last see your husband"? To which my wife responded: 15 mins. IO raised his eyebrow and infact told her that it was nice of me to come down just for her interview. This was the last question and she was approved. I am not saying that it will work in all cases but it did for us. I wanted to be there anyway so that my wife does not feel nervous being alone or with her dad. I wanted her to feel comfortable and decided to make the trip from CA to Mumbai for her interview.

a. Wife had interview at Mumbai and they did not allow me inside. Only the applicant with the Interview letter was allowed inside.

b. It did help swing the interview in our favor. Wife was asked some basic question and the jackpot question to her was "When did you last see your husband"? To which my wife responded: 15 mins. IO raised his eyebrow and infact told her that it was nice of me to come down just for her interview. This was the last question and she was approved. I am not saying that it will work in all cases but it did for us. I wanted to be there anyway so that my wife does not feel nervous being alone or with her dad. I wanted her to feel comfortable and decided to make the trip from CA to Mumbai for her interview.

We read here some place that they allow the petitioner in to the embassy in New Delhi, but not to the interview per se. So when he gets called, it is very possible, I won't be able to stay by his side. Let us see what happens, will keep you all posted. *fingers crossed*

If by some chance I am not allowed inside, he will bring my passport in with him and during the flow of the interview, will try to let the visa officer know that I am outside.

That is exactly why I am planning on attending the interview with him. We are in this together, hence I will be right by his side through this.

So glad to hear that everything worked out for you guys. :D

hello

Well, i am not sure but from what i have heard, most of the time, they do not allow the spouse inside for interview,only the beneficiary is allowed . However at the same time you can always give it a try,if you are able to attend the interview together , it might work in your favour to show that your marriage is genuine.

In my case, he couldnt travel all the way from US to be with me for interview but luckily, managed to get the visa .With regards to your attire, i think it shouldnt be a problem saw lot of people in kurtas as well as in formal wear during the interview. goodluck

Thank you so much. I will be there no matter what and will do my best to at least get inside the building with him. I can sit and wait while he is being interviewed. Let us see what happens :)

Great to hear you got your visa!!! Congrats!!

Did you interview in ND?

Timeline

We read here some place that they allow the petitioner in to the embassy in New Delhi, but not to the interview per se. So when he gets called, it is very possible, I won't be able to stay by his side. Let us see what happens, will keep you all posted. *fingers crossed*

If by some chance I am not allowed inside, he will bring my passport in with him and during the flow of the interview, will try to let the visa officer know that I am outside.

That is exactly why I am planning on attending the interview with him. We are in this together, hence I will be right by his side through this.

So glad to hear that everything worked out for you guys. :D

If you're going to the New Delhi Embassy then you're allowed inside. Mumbai has a consulate, which you would not be allowed in, but you're allowed inside Embassies. However, it is possible they won't let you stand at the window with him during the interview (This happened to me). But your presence there is probably better than no presence at all.

If you have any questions about the interview process (We were K-1, but it's pretty similar) Just go to my profile page and timeline to find the review I wrote, it's pretty thorough about what to expect once you're inside.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Tom

If you're going to the New Delhi Embassy then you're allowed inside. Mumbai has a consulate, which you would not be allowed in, but you're allowed inside Embassies. However, it is possible they won't let you stand at the window with him during the interview (This happened to me). But your presence there is probably better than no presence at all.

If you have any questions about the interview process (We were K-1, but it's pretty similar) Just go to my profile page and timeline to find the review I wrote, it's pretty thorough about what to expect once you're inside.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Tom

Happy Thanksgiving Tom and thank you for the reply. :D

Perfect! I actually found the requirements for New Delhi: "Generally, you may not bring anyone else, other than a U.S. citizen or Legal Permanent Resident relative who has petitioned for you, to your interview...." attaching the .pdf in case someone else needs to read the details.

Heading over to your profile now. Thank you so much again!

NWD - New Delhi.pdf

• 1 month later...
Filed: FB-4 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I already know that my priority date is current.My case completed at NVC on 22nd December. I

want to know what is the estimated time for

receiving the interview letter for New Delhi

consulate. I heard that the time depends on

one's consulate where the interview will be

held, What is the normal time for scheduling

interview in New Delhi after completion of Case

at NVC.

Timeline

Hey Gentl,

The Packet 4 (or 3 depending upon, well, whatever it is that it depends upon) you need should've gotten to you by now. They normally take inside of a month. I'd suggest contacting the consulate via e-mail and informing them that the letter never arrived. They should then send you an electronic copy that'll help you get started on the process leading up to the interview.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.