AK2011

Question regarding N400 - Part 8 (Time Outside USA)

10 posts in this topic

Hello All,

Hope this finds everyone well.

Background: I am applying for citizenship based on 3 years of permanent residency resulting out of a marriage with a US citizen and unsure what to print for the part 8 questions (time outside the USA) on the N400 application. I have not travelled outside of the country ever since my arrival 3 years ago and since my application is based out of 3 years and not 5 years of permanent residency, I need expert opinion or help from individuals who are familiar with this siuation and have applied with success.

Question: For the following questions in the Part 8 of the N400 application form, what do I answer since my presence to the country and application to the citizenship is based out of 3 years and not 5 years.

1. How many total days (24 hours or longer) did you spend outside the United States during the last 5 years? ____ Days

2. How many trips of 24 hours or longer have you takenoutside the Unites Statesduring the last 5 years? ____ Trips

For the above questions on the form, do I answer 0 since I have not taken any trips or travelled outside during the last 3 years? Would I be lying if I write 0 since they are asking about 5 years and not 3 years? Since I'm applying based on 3 years as residency and have been in the country for 3 years, would I rather write NA (not applicable)? I have gone through all possible FAQ documents but have not found the answer. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Nope.. Put 0 as you stated.

The question said, "travel outside United States..." that is with the assumption that your trip originated from the United States.That's what I would do.

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Filed: Timeline

YES. Just put zero. Even though the question states 5 years, it's applicable for both 3 and 5

To be safe, cross out "5" and write in "3" on the form. That way you are being clear and perfectly honest. It is not unheard of for immigration officers to try to find a reason to deny applications, and "lying" is a pretty good reason to deny an application.

• 2 years later...
On 8/14/2015 at 12:45 PM, AK2011 said:

Hello All,

Hope this finds everyone well.

Background: I am applying for citizenship based on 3 years of permanent residency resulting out of a marriage with a US citizen and unsure what to print for the part 8 questions (time outside the USA) on the N400 application. I have not travelled outside of the country ever since my arrival 3 years ago and since my application is based out of 3 years and not 5 years of permanent residency, I need expert opinion or help from individuals who are familiar with this siuation and have applied with success.

Question: For the following questions in the Part 8 of the N400 application form, what do I answer since my presence to the country and application to the citizenship is based out of 3 years and not 5 years.

1. How many total days (24 hours or longer) did you spend outside the United States during the last 5 years? ____ Days

2. How many trips of 24 hours or longer have you takenoutside the Unites Statesduring the last 5 years? ____ Trips

For the above questions on the form, do I answer 0 since I have not taken any trips or travelled outside during the last 3 years? Would I be lying if I write 0 since they are asking about 5 years and not 3 years? Since I'm applying based on 3 years as residency and have been in the country for 3 years, would I rather write NA (not applicable)? I have gone through all possible FAQ documents but have not found the answer. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

HELLO DEAR ,

I HAVE THE SAME CASE SCENARIO LIKE YOU ,PLEASE TELL ME WHAT WAS YOUR ANSWER FOR THIS QUESTION ABOUT,YOUR TRAVEL HISTORY.

THANKS.

On 8/20/2015 at 2:44 AM, truthsmiles said:

To be safe, cross out "5" and write in "3" on the form. That way you are being clear and perfectly honest. It is not unheard of for immigration officers to try to find a reason to deny applications, and "lying" is a pretty good reason to deny an application.

Trouble is if you do it online, I doubt there is an option to cross that out.  I don't know I guess I will find out later on this month when I apply.

Removal of Conditions..  TICK TOCK, TICK TOCK

Time to reset the tick tock clock again.   Roll my eyes.

GC  Conditional date:  05/26/2015

N400.  Application:      02/28/2018       

Biometrics:                    02/22/2018

Waiting............    Roll my eyes again :(

USA citizen as of 25th of July 2018. :)

Filed: Other Timeline

Sweet baby Jesus!

You're not the first human being who found out that the USCIS forms are made by retards for retards. People with a brain that works well, like yours, can only shake their head in disbelief.

The requirement is within the past 5 years or since you became a resident. Clearly, if you lived on the North Pole next to Santa Claus, you don't have to list all the trips you made on December 24th to deliver presents to the American children. I know they didn't state that, but it's a great preparation for the questions of the N-400 which are even more retarded!

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/hey_wait_a_minute/2011/02/the_problem_with_question_36.html

Answer those questions with 0.

Do NOT alter the form from 5 to 3 years!

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Loved the response from ‘Brother Hesekiel’.... I’m still rolling on the floor laughing! LOL

Anyways, in all seriousness I agree that you should NOT cross out anything on the form. Here’s what I did and which worked without raising any flags. I answered based on my arrival date and then at the end of the form, added an addendum explaining my response.

Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.