toaki

Overstayed F1 due to USCIS's fault seeking employment authorization options

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

As an F1 I applied for OPT but USCIS could not cash my check for god-knows-why, failed to notify me for several times, and messed up with the online status (the notice date of receipt was June 15th but the online status claims that they sent me an notice for insufficient fund on June 11th, which was impossible), causing my overstay. Now my case was rejected and my grace period is passed. The USCIS customer service representatives said I can reapply for OPT with a cover letter explain my situation, but my university insisted that I cannot reapply because of grace period. I have overstayed for more than 2 weeks. I got an offer from a non-for-profit research organization that is qualified for H1B cap exempt, but I am afraid that if I tell them about my problem, they will withdraw the offer. I would have a career here but USCIS just screwed up everything.

So what options do I have? Should I hire a attorney and fight with USCIS? Or should I tell my potential employer and ask for their help? Or anything else? Please help me!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

this is a DIY site,

so for the nonce,

I recommend that you practice writing up letters of attestation about exactly what happened, and include the final version with the new OPT application (for now).

Although yer uni says one thing - it helps loads if you actually sit down with the DSO human on campus, face to face, and talk more.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You got a job offer - awesome! Did you receive that offer under the conditions that they were NOT going to sponsor you? Were they under the impression that you already had work authorization through OPT?

If that is the case then yes, they may revoke the offer if they are not in the practice of sponsoring work visas.

I say reapply to USCIS

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Timeline

And, in whatever route you chose and the documentation you submit, I would omit blaming USCIS for your overstay -- you always had the option of leaving on time and chose not to. I doubt that a USCIS official is going to acknowledge that your overstay is their fault. There might be reasons for all of the issues you cite as being their fault. For example, you say the check could not be cashed for some unknown reason; but then say the onine status says it was because of insufficient funds (which would not be their fault -- could be yours, could be the bank's, could be a deposit you made not clearing as quickly as you thought, etc.). Use just the facts, presented neutrally. Why open on a negative note with the people who control your process?

Not trying to be rude, and I'm sorry your plans have not worked out the way you wanted at this point, but you are not owed a career here in the US regardless -- in fact, when you came on a student visa, you told the visa officer that you would leave the US and return home at the end of your authorized status, which you clearly did not do at this point. So, IMO, you should tread lightly with throwing blame around and just present the information.

Edited by jan22

And, in whatever route you chose and the documentation you submit, I would omit blaming USCIS for your overstay -- you always had the option of leaving on time and chose not to. I doubt that a USCIS official is going to acknowledge that your overstay is their fault. There might be reasons for all of the issues you cite as being their fault. For example, you say the check could not be cashed for some unknown reason; but then say the onine status says it was because of insufficient funds (which would not be their fault -- could be yours, could be the bank's, could be a deposit you made not clearing as quickly as you thought, etc.). Use just the facts, presented neutrally. Why open on a negative note with the people who control your process?

Not trying to be rude, and I'm sorry your plans have not worked out the way you wanted at this point, but you are not owed a career here in the US regardless -- in fact, when you came on a student visa, you told the visa officer that you would leave the US and return home at the end of your authorized status, which you clearly did not do at this point. So, IMO, you should tread lightly with throwing blame around and just present the information.

Finally someone sees real problem. People usually blames USCIS for their mistake. OPT application takes few months and OP wouldn't realize until he overstayed for a while.

Edited by NancyNguyen

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.