Transborderwife

Birthright citizenship and the general public

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

It's amazing how little the general public knows about birthright citizenship and the 14th amendment. I was at the hospital for preterm labor and the medical assistant who was doing my registration asked if the baby would be an American citizen. She also proceeded to say that they often see tourist births in their hospital so it's not uncommon. When I explained to her that the baby had a right to citizenship even had my SO not been a USC she was utterly shocked. Just an interesting observation.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Wow... You'd think the hospital staff would know about it, but I guess they don't have much to do with citizenship... Once you get the birth certificate, you're all good to go.

Despite all it's controversy, birthright citizenship is one thing I love about America. Its a country of immigrants and birthright citizenship gives a clear, simple rule. My home country abandoned it decades back, and it's created a huge mess for young people trying to do something as simple as a passport application.

N-400 Application for Naturalization

07/15/16 - N-400 and supporting documents sent to Phoenix via FedEx

07/17/16 - Earliest accepted filing date

07/18/16 - Package delivered to Phoenix

07/21/16 - Check cashed

07/25/16 - NOA received via USPS (dated 07/21/16)

07/26/16 - Biometrics appointment notice available online

08/10/16 - Biometrics appointment

02/24/16 - Online status change to "Interview Scheduled"

02/27/17 - Interview appointment notice available online

03/31/17 - N-400 interview at Los Angeles office - Recommended for approval
03/31/17 - Online status change to "Oath Ceremony Scheduled"
04/03/17 - Oath ceremony notice available online

04/18/17 - Oath ceremony

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

"Jus soli (English pronunciation: /dʒʌs ˈsoʊlaɪ/) (Latin: right of the soil)[1] is the right of anyone born in the territory of a state to nationality or citizenship.[2]"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jus_soli

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am against flat birthright citizenship...but it's what we have and people should definitely know that. It leads to the anchor baby scenario. I think you should either have an USC parent or at least one parent that is a legally resident and living in U.S. territory.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Something that is a stretch from the original purpose of the Amendment and certainly not fit for purpose.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Despite all it's controversy, birthright citizenship is one thing I love about America. Its a country of immigrants and birthright citizenship gives a clear, simple rule.

In the last 30 years BirthRight has been taken advantage of by way to many people from other countries, Mexico is the number on offender........

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I think people are experts in their field, but I wouldn't;t expect them to be experts in anything else. We VJ'ers are a lot more involved in immigration rules and rights then most. I can honestly say I don't know a thing about Canadian immigration :)

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.