Jwen

Drivers licence

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Good Day All.

For those of u not familiar with our case. Am a K1 recipient awaiting Aos interview with Ead/Ap combo card and is presently outside the USA. When we return I can sit the written exam for the drivers licence and have to wait 30 days for the physical driving test.

I will need to drive and am wondering should I apply for an international drivers licence from my home country and use that when I return till am able to get a US drivers licence. Or will this not be able as I won't be visiting but looking go be a LPR.

Any thoughts or suggestions

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

Check the state you will be driving in. Some states accept Foreign Driver's license without international driving permit and some need International driving permit along with foreign license. It's better to have IDP anyway.

like in New York,

Can I drive In New York State with an out-of-state or foreign driver license?

Yes. You can drive in New York State with a valid driver license from another state or country. You don’t need to apply for a New York State driver license unless you become a New York State resident.

If you have a driver license from another country you do not need an International Driving Permit, but the permit verifies in several languages that you have a valid driver license. This is helpful to police officers who can’t read the language on your foreign driver license. Contact the authorities in your home country to get an International Driving Permit.

Edited by arken

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Depends on the State how long you have as a new resident using your home country license, I did not need an IDP as my license was in English. I thought Jamaican would be as well?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Apparently now for Louisiana - they require 14 hours of driving school - 6 hours in car and 8 hours in class, even though i've been licensed in Canada for over 10 years and have proof of doing driving school here.

Some states if its in Ehglish allows 30 days (check with you MVD)

As an established driver with a license you can have a US license within

a wk of your arrival if you have SSn & proper ID/status to show

Service Center : Texas Service Center

Consulate : Montreal, Canada

Marriage (if applicable): 2014/10/04

I-130 Sent : 2014-11-04

I-130 NOA1 : 2014-11-12

I-130 Approved : 2015-03-26

NVC Received : 2015-04-14

Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : 2015-04-23

Pay AOS Bill : 2015-04-23

Send AOS Package : 2015-05-15

Submit DS-261 : 2015-04-23

Receive IV Bill : 2015-05-01

Pay IV Bill : 2015-06-10

Send IV Package : 2015-05-15

Completed DS-260: 2015-06-11

Receive Instruction and Interview appointment letter :2015-08-27

Case Completed at NVC : 2015-07-15

Interview Date : September 24, 2015

Interview Result : Administrative Processing

Visa Received : October 15, 2015

US Entry : November 11, 2015

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from General Immigration-Related Discussion to Moving to the US and Your New Life in America Forum~

~Similar topics are often discussed at this forum~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.