Iamvj

Physically separated from abusive spouse conditional green card interview

40 posts in this topic

Hello VJ members, i am physically separated with no contact from my abusive husband 6 months by now and i will have my conditional green card interview next month. Is my current situation will result to deportation/removal proceedings? If i will be able to prove to the immigration officer that we entered in a good faith marriage, will give grant me a 2 years conditional green card?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You need to be divorced, have you filed for divorce?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

He will not be able to come because we don't have any contact since i left him. Besides, the court approved my protection order petition. My advocate told me to just go to the interview alone and let them know the result. I am just curious what is going to happen when i go to the interview and if is there any possibility that the immigration officer will grant me a 2 yr conditional green card or the result will be really denied ans is subject to removal proceedings.

I haven't filed divorce yet..

Timeline

I would expect they will give you time to get the divorce finalised.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Is there also a free divorce lawyer? I only applied a pro bono lawyer for my immigration. I search online but i couldn't find one.

Timeline

Women's shelters mabe able offer guidance on low cost options.

I will be losing my job 2 months from now and i can't afford to hire lawyers because i live for paycheck to paycheck. I was hoping i could get free lawyers because that is really a big help. Getting extra job for extra money is hard too because i don't have resources like car, i live far from the bus stop and i only ask for friends who could take me to places but i am working on it.. I am currently looking for a place where there is a bus access and close to business area where i can possibly get a job .. In doing this transistion cost money too..

No green card yet.. I left my husband after i had my biometrics..

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

They will deny your AOS if go to the interview without having a pending VAWA .File VAWA and go to the interview taking the receipt and ask the officer to hold the AOS till VAWA adjudication. If you do not have a police report you will need a psychological evaluation, and you should attend at least 5/7 therapy sessions before having the evaluation done.Join the thread VAWA part 6

Edited by sandranj

Is it not possible Sandraj that i will go to the interview then i will file for VAWA? My advocate will come with me during the interview too. How do i join the VAWA thread 6?

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Listen to Sandra.

Here is the link: --> http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/529406-vawa-part-6/

Good luck!

They will deny your AOS if go to the interview without having a pending VAWA .File VAWA and go to the interview taking the receipt and ask the officer to hold the AOS till VAWA adjudication. If you do not have a police report you will need a psychological evaluation, and you should attend at least 5/7 therapy sessions before having the evaluation done.Join the thread VAWA part 6

Is it not possible Sandraj that i will go to the interview then i will file for VAWA? My advocate will come with me during the interview too. How do i join the VAWA thread 6?

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I guess I don't understand you haven't really been here that long, sounds like you may have been in an abusive relationship. Why wouldn't you just want to go home? Devil's advocate, it's extremely easy to get a restraining order, anyone could get one at anytime from anyone. Now perhaps you have police reports and pictures showing physical abuse. But it would be incredibly easy for anyone to come to this country get a restraining order and say I had to get a divorce and now want a green card. I'm not saying that's the case but I would have more proof than that. Your ex may be already sending them things saying it was fraud, if he was abusive I wouldn't say that would be abnormal for someone like that. If I were you I would be prepared, I personally think restraining orders are worthless I would imagine USCIS knows how easy they are to obtain. I personally would have more ammo than that. I wish you the best and hope you have friends or family here to support you through this.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I'm sorry to hear that this is your situation... You should consider filing an I-360.

Please do some reading on this form on the uscis website

I wish you all the best

Adjustment of Status

09/12/14 - I-130 mailed (while spouse was permanent resident) to USCIS CSC
09/15/14 - I-130 receipt date
09/18/14 - NOA1 received
02/15/15 - NOA 2 received (approval)
03/15/15 - Letter received from NVC indicating priority date not yet current...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
05/29/15 - Spouse became US citizen
05/29/15 - Mailed letter along with supporting documents to NVC asking that petition be upgraded (no response received)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
06/25/15 - Mailed I-485, I-765, I-131 package (Chicago Lockbox) > 06/28/15 - Package delivered per tracking info.

06/29/15 - USCIS Receipt Date > 07/08/15 - Email and text notifications of acceptance received
07/13/15 - NOA hard copies for I-485, I-765, I-131 received > 07/17/15 - Biometrics appointment letter received (for 07/27/15)
07/20/15 - Biometrics completed > 08/06/15 - Requested Expedition of EAD

08/07/15 - Sent Evidence for Expedition > 08/19/15 - EAD Approved

08/24/15 - EAD/AP I797C Hardcopy Received > 08/24/15 - EAD Mailed > 08/27/15 - EAD Received

08/31/15 - SSN Application Completed > 09/01/15 - Received SSN > 09/04/15 - Received SS Card

09/16/15 - Received e-Notification - Interview 10/22 > 10/22/15 - AOS Interview - Approved! 

CR-2/IR-2 Visa

07/20/15 - I-130 mailed to USCIS > 07/22/15 - Package delivered per tracking info. > 07/23/15 - USCIS Receipt Date

07/24/15 - Email and text notifications of acceptance received (petition forwarded to Nebraska SC) 

*****This visa was approved for my daughter in June of 2016. She came to the US in July 2016 and received her 10-year green card in the mail.

I forgot to update. Will add the dates soon***** 

I-751 - Removal of Conditions 

07/24/17 - I-751 mailed to USCIS > 08/09/17 - NOA Received > 09/04/17 - Biometrics Appointment (I think I did a walk-in in August for this) 

01/22/19 - Update on website says green card being produced 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.