romania_usa

Marrying in Romania, but had changed first name thus does not match birth cert

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello everyone. I admit I should have checked and double, triple-checked everything way in advance but have been way too busy.

I'm from New York and am aiming to get married this summer in Romania. When I return to NY, I would apply for the CR-1 marriage visa. I just realized that my New York birth certificate has my original first name. When I was 13 years old, I had my first name changed and I have the court order documents with the judges stamp and signature, along with an updated social security card reflecting my new first name. However, I have never corrected my birth certificate to show my new first name. Is correcting my birth certificate the right thing to do in this case where my first name was changed 13 years later? Or does the correcting of the birth certificate only apply to errors and mistakes made only at time of birth?

Regardless, it looks like all admissible documents needed for marriage in Romania need an Apostille authentication. Do I apply the Apostille to both the original birth certificate and also the court order documents proving the first name change?

Thanks!

Paul

Are you asking about documents needed to get married in Romania or if your name change is a big deal?

As a petitioner you don't need to use your birth certificate to send the I-130 petition, you can use your passport instead if you choose. Just to note: you do not apply for a visa, the spouse does. You file a petition to allow them to apply for a visa.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

NLR - thanks for your reply. Ah yes, thanks for the distinction. She's the one coming to the US so she would need the visa.

But before that happens, the marriage needs to happen first in Romania. And I'm freaking out right now because the first name on my birth certificate doesn't match up with my current first name. Was wondering if you knew this is ok if I have the accompanying court order documents proving the change. Or does the foreign country ONLY care about the birth certificate and nothing else (and as a result, I would need to request a change to my birth certificate). I leave on Aug 10.

Paul

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

Do you really need your birth certificate to marry your wife in Romania? I believe the your passport is enough. The later on when you petition for your wife, you will never required to send your birth certificate. All you need to send to USCIS is your passport copy.

In any case, even if you were required to submit the copy of birth certificate, you should never change the name on the birth certificate coz you had that name during that time. You submit the copy of birth certificate as it is and court orders to prove your name change that matches with your passport.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Thanks arken for your feedback.

Yes, I most certainly need my birth certificate as outlined here.

http://romania.usembassy.gov/acs/marriages.html

If you scroll down to the 4 bullet points (the first one). Your point seems logical and you would think a birth certificate correction only applies to mistakes and errors at time of birth (typos, incorrect address or hospital, etc), and not to actual changes after you are born. But you never know heh. I hope I don't need an updated birth certificate, otherwise I might be screwed since I leave for Romania on Aug 10. So I guess I need to get the Apostille authentication on both the birth certificate AND the court order docs proving my first name change? Getting the court order docs translated to Romanian is gonna be a lot of fun, since it's like 10 pages of lawyer-language lol.

Paul

It is what it is....take what you have and hope for the best. This is your birth certificate and here is the document showing why the name on your passport does not match the your birth certificate. You can always beg and plead and cajole if there is a problem.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to Europe & Eurasia regional forum; topic is about marriage procedures in Romania and not the US spousal visa process itself.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.