Bobsled

Opening a line of credit

19 posts in this topic

My 22 y.o. wife wants to get a credit card now that she’s been working for a whole three weeks. Since she has no credit history what so ever, what’s the best route to take in her situation? Should she/we have her open a line of credit in her name (with me as her sponsor/ co-applicant), should I just ask my C.C. company for another card for her (I have forgotten to add her to my C.C. accounts – pure over sight)?? Or some other option??

Thanks.

Our K1 Timeline:

01/2005 Met online

04/28/05 Visited fiancee for the 1st time

08/07/05 Visited fiancee for the 2nd time

08/09/05 Got engaged

08/27/05 Submitted K1 to CSC

08/30/05 CSC received I-129F packet

08/31/05 Received NOA1 in mail

09/02/05 Check cashed

09/03/05 Received NOA1 via snail mail

09/03/05 Enrolled for email notification

10/21/05 Approved!! NOA2.

10/24/05 Received email stating NOA2 mailed out.

10/28/05 Waiting to hear from NVC.

11/05/05 Waiting to hear from NVC.

11/?/05 NVC case number issued. MNL2005807XXX.

11/08/05 Petition send to MNL.

11/19/05 MNL received our petition from NVC.

01/26/06 MNL Embassy mails out interview packet

02/11/06 Visited fiancee for the 3rd time

02/21/06 Received Interview Packet from MNL Embassy

03/14/06 Medical

03/30/06 Interview

04/04/06 Visa is released to Delbros for delivery

04/05/06 Visa in hand

05/24/06 Entered the U.S. (@ LAX POE)

08/20/06 Married

Our AOS Timeline:

10/02/06 Submitted our AOS to Chicago

10/13/06 Received NOA1 for AOS and EAD

10/17/06 Received Bio. Appt. letter for AOS and EAD

10/25/06 Biometrics Appt. for AOS and EAD

11/02/06 Received Appt. Letter

12/11/06 AOS Appt. (Approved!)

12/22/06 Received G.C. (2 yrs)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

not sure she will qualify for her own until shes worked while, you can always add to yours, she will have her own card but you will still be the responsible one for awhile. THeres that secuired kind but ive never delt with tht before.

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I see three options:

1. Become her co-applicant for her own credit card (this will mean you're indirectly responsible for her spending; in other words, if she damages her credit score, she also damages yours as well).

2. Add her to your credit card as an authorized user (this will mean she won't technically have a credit card of her own, she'll just be authorized to use your credit card number with her name on it, and you'll be entirely responsible for her spending).

3. Attempt to apply for a secured credit card (these sometimes work for people with no or very little credit history; however, there is generally a small credit line attached to the card itself, something in the area of $300 to $500 for new users).

The first two options enable your wife to have larger credit lines; however, you'll be responsible, whether directly or indirectly, for whatever she purchases. With the third option, you won't be responsible but she'll have a much smaller credit line.

I know all of these options work because (although I am a USC), I got my first credit card by being an authorized user on my parents' account (option 1). Then when I was older, I got my own credit card, but because I didn't have a credit history, my father had to co-sign for me (option 2). The last one (option 3) I've read about extensively here on VJ, so while I don't have any personal experience with it, I know it does work from time to time.

I hope some of this helps. :)

Filed: Country: Indonesia
Timeline
3. Attempt to apply for a secured credit card (these sometimes work for people with no or very little credit history; however, there is generally a small credit line attached to the card itself, something in the area of $300 to $500 for new users).

Just to add that you could get the secured line (max is $ 500) with "deposit" of $ 99.

I-130

Jun 28 2004 : Received at NSC

Oct 25 2004 : Transferred to CSC

Oct 29 2004 : Received at CSC

Nov 8 2004 : Received response from CSC that my file is being requested & review will be done

Nov 10 2004 : Email & online status Approved

Nov 15 2004 : NOA 2 in mail

Dec 16 2004 : NVC assigns case number

Dec 20 2004 : NVC sent DS 3032 to beneficiary, copy of DS 3032 & I-864 fee bill to petitioner

Jan 3 2005 : Petitioner received copy of DS 3032 and I-864 fee bill. Post-marked Dec 23rd.

Jan 11 2005 : Beneficiary received DS 3032 in Indonesia

Jan 31 2005 : Sent DS 3032 to NVC

Feb 8, 2005 : NVC received DS 3032

Feb 21, 2005 : IV fee generated

Feb 25, 2005 : Sent I-864 fee bill

Feb 28, 2005 : I-864 fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 3, 2005 : IV fee bill received

Mar 7, 2005 : Sent IV fee bill

Mar 9, 2005 : IV fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 28, 2005 : I-864 fee credited against case.

April 6, 2005 : Received I-864 package

April 7, 2005 : Immigrant Visa fee credited against case.

April 11, 2005 : DS 230 is generated

Aug 12, 2005 : I-864 & DS 230 received by NVC

Sep 14, 2005 : RFE on I-864

Nov 3, 2005 : Checklist response received at NVC

Nov 25, 2005 : Case completion

Dec 9, 2005 : Police Cert requested from the Netherlands

Jan 12 2006 : Interview success - Approved !!

Jan 19 2006 : Visa & brown envelope picked up

This process requires lot of patience, 1st I added my wife to my credit card account, then when I bought the house, I did it under both of our name, so within 2 years her score went from 0 to over 700. Now we get all kind of credit card offers in the mail, opened a store card last week by herself.

Gone but not Forgotten!

I did not have a cridit history when I first moved here neither..I tried to apply for credit cards but it always failed..

But after about 2 months I opened a checking account with a big bank(Chase), they offered me a credit card. I always make my payments on time and my credit score just soared. And now I get all kinds of credit card offers in the mail all the time.

She can also get a loan(example. car-loan) with a co-signer..that can help her build up credit too.

I see three options:

1. Become her co-applicant for her own credit card (this will mean you're indirectly responsible for her spending; in other words, if she damages her credit score, she also damages yours as well).

2. Add her to your credit card as an authorized user (this will mean she won't technically have a credit card of her own, she'll just be authorized to use your credit card number with her name on it, and you'll be entirely responsible for her spending).

The first two options enable your wife to have larger credit lines; however, you'll be responsible, whether directly or indirectly, for whatever she purchases. With the third option, you won't be responsible but she'll have a much smaller credit line.

I know all of these options work because (although I am a USC), I got my first credit card by being an authorized user on my parents' account (option 1). Then when I was older, I got my own credit card, but because I didn't have a credit history, my father had to co-sign for me (option 2). The last one (option 3) I've read about extensively here on VJ, so while I don't have any personal experience with it, I know it does work from time to time.

I hope some of this helps. :)

Thanks for the replies. I think #2 is the worst option becuase it doesn't create her credit history. I think we will try #3 (having a $300 to $500 limit is actually a good thing) and if she gets rejected then we'll do #1. Or we can always try B of A. ; )

Rob

Edited by Bobsled

Our K1 Timeline:

01/2005 Met online

04/28/05 Visited fiancee for the 1st time

08/07/05 Visited fiancee for the 2nd time

08/09/05 Got engaged

08/27/05 Submitted K1 to CSC

08/30/05 CSC received I-129F packet

08/31/05 Received NOA1 in mail

09/02/05 Check cashed

09/03/05 Received NOA1 via snail mail

09/03/05 Enrolled for email notification

10/21/05 Approved!! NOA2.

10/24/05 Received email stating NOA2 mailed out.

10/28/05 Waiting to hear from NVC.

11/05/05 Waiting to hear from NVC.

11/?/05 NVC case number issued. MNL2005807XXX.

11/08/05 Petition send to MNL.

11/19/05 MNL received our petition from NVC.

01/26/06 MNL Embassy mails out interview packet

02/11/06 Visited fiancee for the 3rd time

02/21/06 Received Interview Packet from MNL Embassy

03/14/06 Medical

03/30/06 Interview

04/04/06 Visa is released to Delbros for delivery

04/05/06 Visa in hand

05/24/06 Entered the U.S. (@ LAX POE)

08/20/06 Married

Our AOS Timeline:

10/02/06 Submitted our AOS to Chicago

10/13/06 Received NOA1 for AOS and EAD

10/17/06 Received Bio. Appt. letter for AOS and EAD

10/25/06 Biometrics Appt. for AOS and EAD

11/02/06 Received Appt. Letter

12/11/06 AOS Appt. (Approved!)

12/22/06 Received G.C. (2 yrs)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Her best option is a secured credit card. One doesn't need to have been employed for a loing time or to have a credit history to open a secured card - anyone can get those. It's a great way to build credit. After a few months of responsibly using a secured credit card, she may apply for a gas card or a local store card - they are relatively easy to get, but you need at least some credit history.

Good luck! :)

Filed AOS from F-1
Green Card approved on 01/04/07
Conditions removed 01/29/09

Citizenship Oath 08/23/12

• 4 weeks later...

Sort of related:

Never had a credit card before but what does the APR actually mean?

I mean, if I intend to just buy gas every other week and pay off the bill on time, that percentage rate doesn't affect me at all, does it? All I pay is the gas bill?

I'm new at the credit card thing :help:

Filed: Country: Indonesia
Timeline
Sort of related:

I mean, if I intend to just buy gas every other week and pay off the bill on time, that percentage rate doesn't affect me at all, does it? All I pay is the gas bill?

APR is annual percentage rate - interest rate. If you have credit card, and you pay in full every month, you will not have to worry about the APR on your credit card because you would not be affected. Lots of people carry balance in their credit card, so you pay interest on those balance. In this case, lower APR is desirable.

I-130

Jun 28 2004 : Received at NSC

Oct 25 2004 : Transferred to CSC

Oct 29 2004 : Received at CSC

Nov 8 2004 : Received response from CSC that my file is being requested & review will be done

Nov 10 2004 : Email & online status Approved

Nov 15 2004 : NOA 2 in mail

Dec 16 2004 : NVC assigns case number

Dec 20 2004 : NVC sent DS 3032 to beneficiary, copy of DS 3032 & I-864 fee bill to petitioner

Jan 3 2005 : Petitioner received copy of DS 3032 and I-864 fee bill. Post-marked Dec 23rd.

Jan 11 2005 : Beneficiary received DS 3032 in Indonesia

Jan 31 2005 : Sent DS 3032 to NVC

Feb 8, 2005 : NVC received DS 3032

Feb 21, 2005 : IV fee generated

Feb 25, 2005 : Sent I-864 fee bill

Feb 28, 2005 : I-864 fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 3, 2005 : IV fee bill received

Mar 7, 2005 : Sent IV fee bill

Mar 9, 2005 : IV fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 28, 2005 : I-864 fee credited against case.

April 6, 2005 : Received I-864 package

April 7, 2005 : Immigrant Visa fee credited against case.

April 11, 2005 : DS 230 is generated

Aug 12, 2005 : I-864 & DS 230 received by NVC

Sep 14, 2005 : RFE on I-864

Nov 3, 2005 : Checklist response received at NVC

Nov 25, 2005 : Case completion

Dec 9, 2005 : Police Cert requested from the Netherlands

Jan 12 2006 : Interview success - Approved !!

Jan 19 2006 : Visa & brown envelope picked up

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Just to add that you could get the secured line (max is $ 500) with "deposit" of $ 99.

I can confirm that a secured card is the way to go. I'm not sure what max you're referring to,

it's usually only limited by the amount of money you use as collateral.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

I can confirm that a secured card is the way to go. I'm not sure what max you're referring to,

it's usually only limited by the amount of money you use as collateral.

My wife's credit score is EXTREMELY high and she put me on her credit cards when we got married. Since then, we bought a car together, got a mortgage, I got a job and I transferred my American Express card from the UK. My score is now relatively high.

Be careful that some banks, even with a very high credit score, will not give you credit because you have not had a credit history for very long.

If you have an American Express, they are willing to transfer your credit history over to the US and give you an US-based card. Though you won't transfer ALL your previous credit history, it will count for something.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

They also transfer your credit history if the American bank cooperates with your home-based bank. Happened with me (Deutsche Bank - Bank of America). I applied after I spent 6 months in the US working (no credit card, nothing that increases credit at all), and they transfered my credit line from my old Mastercard directly to my B of A Visa card, even increased the line by $1500. :) Got 6 months 0% APR and now it's somewhere at 12%, not that I intend to use it ;)

AOS

8-4-2006 Date of NOA's

1-4-2007 Green Card in mail

Removal of conditions

9-29-2008 I-751 delivered to CSC

12-29-2008 Green Card ordered :)

Citizenship

10-15-2011 Package sent to NSC

10-17-2011 NOA Priority Date

11-25-2011 Biometrics done

11-29-2011 In line for interview scheduling... woohoo!

12-20-2011 Interview scheduled ...received letter 3 days later

01-24-2012 Interview & Oath

Done!

I see three options:

Thanks for the replies. I think #2 is the worst option becuase it doesn't create her credit history.

To the best of my knowledge, it does. My wife added me as an authorized user and the CC account is now listed as an "account in good standing" in my credit report.

Sort of related:

APR is annual percentage rate - interest rate. If you have credit card, and you pay in full every month, you will not have to worry about the APR on your credit card because you would not be affected. Lots of people carry balance in their credit card, so you pay interest on those balance. In this case, lower APR is desirable.

Thanks!

What about finance charges? This agreement reads like my friggin accounting course in college o.o

For each day in the Billing Cycle, we take your beginning balance and add any new transactions and other debits and subtract any payments or other credits. This equals that day's Daily Balance. We multiply the Daily Balance by the applicable Daily Periodic Rate to get your finance charge for that day. We add these finance charges to your Daily Balance to get the beginning balance for the next day.

We add together all Finance charges calculated or incurred each day during a Billing Cycle to determine the Total Finance Charge for that Billing Cycle. We add together each daily balance for the Billing Cycle and divide by the number of days in that Billing Cycle to determine your Average Daily Balance.

Where appropriate, we perform this calculation separately for each type of transaction that appears on the Statement such as Purchases, Cash Transactions, Balance Transfers or Promotional Balances.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.