11 posts in this topic

Filed: F-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello,

A little information about my case:

I entered the U.S. from the Philippines in 2007, under the IV Category (F31). I could not bring my children - both under 21 at the time - with me immediately because of financial reasons; they would've been under the IV Category (F33). I've remained a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) of the U.S. ever since; the cost of naturalization is still a bit much for my budget.

Now for my questions (please bear with me):

1. Are my children (both of them over 21 now but still unmarried) still eligible for follow-to-join benefits?

a. if yes, should I file an I-824 or just inform the U.S. consulate? If I were to just inform the consulate, how?

b. if not, and I have to file forms I-130 for both my children; how long does this process usually take?

Thank you so much for helping a fellow traveler out!

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Sorry they are no longer qualified for FTJ because they are no longer considered "children" by immigration definition.

That's how I interpret it.

http://manila.usembassy.gov/followingtojoin.html

However, you can file i130 for each of them. The entire process will take 10 years and they must remain single the entire time. They will be under the F2B category (unmarried sons/daughters 21yrs old and above of LPRs).

Edited by apple21

Timeline

You can also send the required docs to the email add on the link to verify if they qualify for FTJ or not. No harm asking the embassy.

Timeline

It has been 8 years since you came to the US. FTJ is only good for one year I believe.

I think the "within one year" applies to dependents of fiancee visa only (K2).

I have a cousin whose husband was approved of a working visa. He went to the US in 2012. My cousin (the wife) and their minor son followed as FTJ in 2014.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

No FTJ for work visas, most if not all have a dependent class and you just go and apply. Like a tourist visa.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

No FTJ for work visas, most if not all have a dependent class and you just go and apply. Like a tourist visa.

Oh sorry. Yeah they were his dependents. Isn't it similar in a way? Coz they had an NVC case number and a priority date.

Anyway, back to OP's topic. ?

Edited by apple21

Timeline

No PD for work visa.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Only immigrant visa's can have PD's and not all of them. Presumably this was an immigrant visa based on a work rather than family classification?

Timeline

Only immigrant visa's can have PD's and not all of them. Presumably this was an immigrant visa based on a work rather than family classification?

Yes based on work. An employer filed the petition. They got 10yr green cards after POE.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.