Rob L

Guns in America: For every criminal killed in self-defense, 34 innocent people die

119 posts in this topic

Add the suicides to the gun death count and you're about as likely to die from a gun than from a car accident. Very soon, the odds of dying from a gun will be greater than those dying from a car accident.

Suicide is a choice. Falling and auto accidents are not. Keep trying.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I did exersise that right and left this forum for quite a while. I can see that nothing has changed, the same endless threads on how unsafe we are with the availibility of guns in America. I am still not commenting on that point, just on the futility of b!tching about it on the internet. Since I decided to jump back into the shark tank and make a comment I just picked the first thread about guns in general.

My point is this, until the 2nd ammendment is repealed there are going to be guns in America. Since it seems doubtfull that it is going to be repealed or severly restricted then this is the way of America. Thus pointing out that innocent people die because of guns is like pointing out that people die from drunk drivers. The only way to stop those deaths is to outlaw cars or booze. Neither is unlikely to ever happen. The futility of the exersise just struck me when I came back into the forum and saw the number of threads about the subject.

Forgive me but it just looked like a huge waste of time discussing this in an immigration forum with no real chance of changing anything.

To those that feel strongly about this I would suggest that the time would be better spent doing something about it. Start a petition to repeal the 2nd ammendment. Have rallies and meetings to gain support for your cause. Contact your elected reps and talk to them about it. That is really the only way to stop gun violence in America. Sitting at your desk at work and complaining really does not do anything but maybe make yourself feel better.

I don't think this is about constitutional law but about common sense approaches we can take to reduce death and injury from these weapons. Gun issues are flogged to death around here, but yet again the events of the week impress upon us the gravity of the situation.

Giving up is not an option.

The content available on a site dedicated to bringing folks to America should not be promoting racial discord, euro-supremacy, discrimination based on religion , exclusion of groups from immigration based on where they were born, disenfranchisement of voters rights based on how they might vote.

horsey-change.jpg?w=336&h=265

Timeline

More CDC numbers All firearm deaths 33.5 k or about the same as motor vehicle deaths. You are right that suicides are a substantial part of that (21K)

Still, most folks are in or around buses and cars every day multiple times a day. If we could just trim 1/3 of the non suicide deaths

Mortality All injury deaths
  • Number of deaths: 192,945
  • Deaths per 100,000 population: 60.2
All poisoning deaths
  • Number of deaths: 48,545
  • Deaths per 100,000 population: 15.4
Motor vehicle traffic deaths
  • Number of deaths: 33,804
  • Deaths per 100,000 population: 10.7
All firearm deaths
  • Number of deaths: 33,636
  • Deaths per 100,000 population: 10.
All suicides
  • Number of deaths: 41,149
  • Deaths per 100,000 population: 13.0
  • Cause of death rank: 10
Firearm suicides
  • Number of deaths: 21,175
  • Deaths per 100,000 population: 6.7
Suffocation suicides
  • Number of deaths: 10,062
  • Deaths per 100,000 population: 3.2
Poisoning suicides
  • Number of deaths: 6,637
  • Deaths per 100,000 population: 2.1

The content available on a site dedicated to bringing folks to America should not be promoting racial discord, euro-supremacy, discrimination based on religion , exclusion of groups from immigration based on where they were born, disenfranchisement of voters rights based on how they might vote.

What would you say the percentage of people in the US that uses a gun everyday is compared to how many use a vehicle? I'm thinking somewhere around maybe 1% gun to 80% vehicle? Now figure those percentages into the stats and tell me which poses the most threat to life, a gun or a vehicle? The auto comparison is silly.

What would you say the percentage of people in the US that uses a gun everyday is compared to how many use a vehicle? I'm thinking somewhere around maybe 1% gun to 80% vehicle? Now figure those percentages into the stats and tell me which poses the most threat to life, a gun or a vehicle? The auto comparison is silly.

How many people walk a pit bull everyday and get bit by a poodle?

Police carry guns and drive every day. I would like to see how many accidents there are involving police cars vs police getting shot using their guns.

There are more guns than cars in the US.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Police carry guns and drive every day. I would like to see how many accidents there are involving police cars vs police getting shot using their guns.

The latest FBI stats show the numbers to be extremely high. Ban Poodles!

Timeline

I am sorry, but you have reached the limits of my data analysis.

I would like to see the numbers of how many accidents cops have in Dunkin Donut parking lots.

Poisoning and falls kill far more people than guns, so let's ban assault rifles since they kill 200 people each year. That should solve the problem.

If Poodles are outlawed only Outlaws will have Poodles

Precisely. Finally, someone who actually gets it.

I am sorry, but you have reached the limits of my data analysis.

Your efforts are appreciated.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015