Jessicups

(merged topics) Just got reciept for AOS, looking to expedite advanced parole

17 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband is an American soldier and I am a Canadian citizen, we got married Aug.2014, and I moved here to be with him December 29th.2014. Because he is an American soldier I qualify for "parole in place", which means I can legally be present here while filing, I was let into the country on a humanitarian parole. We had to wait to file AOS because of money reasons, and we did all the paperwork our selves cause we couldn't afford an immigration lawyer. I sent in my package June.2/15, and just received the receipt yesterday for the I-485, I-130 and I-131. My husband is leaving on a 6 week training exercise July.7/15, I am currently 6 months pregnant with a 18 month old son, I have absolutely no friends or family for support here. If I happen to go into labor or have some sort of emergency I have no one here to help me or to help with my young son (husband will be in California in the middle of no where so far from reachable). I also suffer with a moderate to severe anxiety/phobia of being attacked in my home, when someone is home with me the anxiety is minimal, but home alone (especially at night) my anxiety can become debilitating. I have anxiety attacks, I am completely unable to sleep, it takes a huge mental and physical toll on my body, being pregnant this worries me greatly (being pregnant, medication is not an option). I desperately want to expedite my advanced parole to hopefully receive it for when my husband is leaving, I am just completely lost on how to do so. I have read about the infopass interviews, is this my best route? I've also read some people say you need to have your biometrics done before you can have an AP, but it says right on their website it is not required for an AP. Has anyone been threw this? What is my best bet for receiving an AP before or near July.7th?

Also I am very worried that by leaving so soon after filing my AOS that I would possibly miss my biometrics appointment and interview, if I am granted an advanced parole will they take that into consideration when booking my appointment/interview? Can I request for the appointments to not be made till after a certain date (my returning time), or can I reschedule if I will still be out of the country when they are booked?

Edited by Jessicups

You can read USCIS' expedite criteria here: http://www.uscis.gov/forms/expedite-criteria

If you believe you qualify under one, you can either call USCIS at 1-800-375-5283 and tell them you wish to expedite your AP. They will ask your reasons, which you would explain, and it would be passed on. This may or may not be granted, depending on the reason you are asking and the evidence you provide.

The better way is to do it face-to-face at an Infopass appointment. If going this route you should take two passport photographs of yourself, together with your passport and receipt documents, and explain your request to the officer in-person. Again, it will depend upon how good your reason is and how strong your evidence as to whether your request is approved or not.

Any AP you are issued with will no affect your biometrics appointment or interview. You will receive a biometrics appointment usually a couple of weeks after receiving the receipts, and you obviously need to go. You can reschedule it if needed, but you would need someone to be checking your mail to see the appointment letter in the first place. You cannot request a particular biometrics appointment date, but sometimes a walk-in is possible.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Timeline

My husband is currently serving in the U.S Military, I am a Canadian citizen and have been here with him in the US for about 5 months. We just recently applied for AOS, including an advanced parole. I desperately want to expedite my AP based on health issues of my own, so I have been doing reading on the expedition process. So much of what I read on non-USCIS sites says they wont expedite unless essentially life or death. But in some of my research I have come across a few things displaying 2 different types of expedition, one being an Emergency expedition (life or death), but there is also plenty of information on their site saying they can grant AP based on financial lose, humanitarian reasons, ext. obviously NOT life or death reasons. Can anyone clear this up for me? I went to an INFOPASS appointment today requesting an expedite and was told the "life or death" scenario, so how do I expedite based on a humanitarian reason rather then severe illness? I wrote EXPEDITE on my advanced parole when I sent it in, and included a letter explaining my reasons and also any proof I had. And then today after my appointment I called into the call center and asked for my AP to be expedited, she said I should hear back from someone in 5 days.

I'd love to hear any expedited AP stories? or any knowledge on the difference between a normal expedite and an "emergency" expedite? Also does being a Military dependent effect or speed up any of these processes on its own? We have heard from multiple sources that these things are usually just naturally expedited for military families.

Thank you for any feed back or information.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Similar topics merged~

~Please refrain from multiple posting of same/similar topic~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

The reason I want to go back to Canada while my husband is in training is because I suffer from moderate general anxiety and also a specific phobia of being victimized in my own home. When there is someone here with me the anxiety is low, I am able to control it with things like making sure doors are locked, windows are locked, checking rooms ext. Being home alone especially at night causes me severe anxiety attacks and some times even panic attacks, I am unable to sleep, and eventually get to the point where I can't function normally. This is a very embarrassing situation for me as I consider myself an intelligent and logical person, but can't seem to control the anxiety. I am about to hit my third trimester in pregnancy, have a 19 month old son, and absolutely no friends, family or support here what so ever. These are the reasons I want to return back to Canada for the duration of my husbands training. Not to mention if I were to have a general emergency, or go into pre term labor I will have no one here to help care for my young son or assist me in the hospital. I am heart broken I was turned down at my infopass appointment, it feels like sometimes mental illness isn't taken as seriously as a more physical illness would be.

Timeline

This is an old post so not sure if I will get an answer but,

I went to an INFOPASS appointment a few days ago to see if my AP could be expedited, I was told because my reasons weren't life or death that I could not receive an emergency expedite on AP. The guy I was talking to there said that I could go and that my AOS pending would likely not be abandoned based on the fact that my husband is military. And that once the AP was received in the mail I could have it mailed to me and get back in with that. This was straight from the guy at the USCIS office. Now he said it's never guaranteed, and unless it was a true emergency he wouldn't risk it. But that I had a pretty good chance of being ok if I went because of the military status, does anyone have any information on something like this? Was this officer clueless and if so why is he the one people are talking too about their situations? Has anyone else that's military experienced anything like this?

Have you informed the authorities in Alberta that you've moved to the US? I ask as I've seen other Canadians post here that they lose their healthcare once they've moved to the US - which you stated you did in December of last year.

AoS

77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview

Naturalisation

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Timeline

Yeah I phoned them, explained my situation and according to them I'm still covered because I haven't been out of the province long enough to have lost my coverage. And even if I wasn't I am covered by Tricare military as long as it's either A. emergency or B. A Tricare approved provider there.

Sounds like you're on top of it.

AoS

77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview

Naturalisation

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Thread split from year old topic. It's better to start your own thread then bring up an old one as sometimes your question can go unnoticed.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

He doesn't know what he was talking about. Guys at windows are lowest level at immigration. There is no exception for leaving without AP.

Edited by NancyNguyen

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Are you still in the USA? Make another infopass appointment, bring military orders.

Many military bases also have people in JAG that can help with immigration issues.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Similar/associated topics merged~

~Please refrain from multiple posting of same/associated topic~

~There is no sense in multiple posting, it just confuses everything.~

~Moved from WST-based AOS to Working & Traveling During US Immigration Forum~

~Similar topics are discussed at this forum~

Edited by Pitaya

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.