lysander

Paying someone to be a joint sponsor

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I wonder if there are some people who pay a friend to be a joint sponsor of their fiance(e) or spouse. I've been exploring that option with a friend of mine, since my income and assets fall short of the threshold. He was saying he might sign the I-864 it if I make it worth his while.

The way I look at, it seems similar to insurance. You pay someone else a premium because you're not able or willing to take on the risk if something goes wrong. The premium is whatever amount will be enough to compensate the insurer for the risk of a claim being filed. (A "claim" in this case would be a lawsuit for support.)

I'm a little surprised no one has tried to make a business out of this. If someone had deep enough pockets, he could be a joint sponsor for many immigrants, and charge a fee based on the estimated level of risk. For example, there aren't any reported cases (that I know of) of a Mexico national suing a financial sponsor for support, so there might be good reason to charge Mexico nationals a lower fee for joint sponsorship.

Edited by Leucosticte

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

A friend would not charge.

To answer your question it seems that it does happen. From a business perspective I can see that the risknis low but your prospective customers are by definition are poor.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

A friend would not charge.

To answer your question it seems that it does happen. From a business perspective I can see that the risknis low but your prospective customers are by definition are poor.

Theoretically, a friend wouldn't charge. But I've been getting a lot of responses of "What's in it for me?" or "It's your responsibility."

It's true, it is my responsibility. But that's why people get insurance. I also can't afford the cost of paying for someone's loss if I crash my car into them, and yet it's my responsibility to pay it. Still, I have to drive, so I meet my responsibility by getting liability insurance. I can't afford to support my spouse if she decides to leave me and sue me, so I look to insure for that risk too.

People who are rich, but prefer not to bear the risk if their spouse leaves them and sues them, might also be interested in this kind of insurance.

Timeline

People who are rich, but prefer not to bear the risk if their spouse leaves them and sues them, might also be interested in this kind of insurance.

That opens the market significantly.

From an underwriting perspective I can see a number off issues. Morale hazard, an unquantifiable exposure and a long term. You would have to charge an up front premium.

And certainly just looking at the immigration aspect a tiny market.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The only problem with that kind of business is that each person you sponsor would increase your household size, correct?

Our Journey:
04/19/2014- Met online
10/2014- Visited Nigeria and he proposed!!!! 
02/28/2015- Sent I-129F petition
03/05/2015- NOA1
09/2015- Visited Nigeria again!!!
10/28/2015- NOA2 (237 day wait at TSC)
11/13/2015- Sent to NVC
11/27/2015- Arrived at Embassy
06/2016- Third visit to Nigeria!
06/15/2016- Interview, given option to file I-601 waiver.
08/16/2016- Waiver submitted (no lawyer).
11/21/2016- Waiver approved with expedite.
01/2017- Embassy requested interview. 
04/2017- Fourth visit to Nigeria.  K1 officially denied. 
04/25/2017- NOA1 for 2nd K1.
07/27/2017- Case transferred to TSC.
11/17/2017- Case transferred back to CSC.
01/16/2018- NOA2!! (266 day wait)
03/08/2018- Interview (AP)
05/03/2018- VISA APPROVAL!!!
05/14/2018- Visa issued
05/18/2018- Visa picked up
05/25/2018- HE'S HOME!!! 💙💙💙

God has given me a great knowledgebase through research and other members here on VJ.  Please do not hesitate to reach out if I can be of any assistance to you! 

Timeline

It would you would hope some would drop off through naturalisation.

Timeline

The only problem with that kind of business is that each person you sponsor would increase your household size, correct?

Yes. So, the number of customers that the business could have would depend on the business owner's income and assets.

Edited by Leucosticte

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from General Immigration-Related Discussion to Off Topic; topic is mainly about a business idea.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal