10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

Hello !

I am currently looking for a job and I have noticed that most job require a background check.

I do not have my work permit yet, but I have made researches for jobs in order to start as soon as I have my work permit in hand.

I have noticed that many jobs to which I allow a background check to be done, never ever contact me back.. why is that? Can a background check be requested for a someone adjusting their status? I don't know when I will have my green card but I am doing the Adjustment of Status now.

Thank you !

K1

AOS

ROC

09/14/2017 : Package Sent (CSC)

09/15/2017 : Package Received (CSC)

09/15/2017 : NOA1 Date

10/12/2017 : Biometrics

--/--/---- : Interview

--/--/---- : Decision

N400

09/01/2018 : Application Sent (online)

--/--/---- NOA1 Date

--/--/---- : Biometrics

So it's not gonna be easy.

It's going to be really hard;

we're gonna have to work at this everyday,

but I want to do that because I want you.

I want all of you, forever, everyday.

You and me.. everyday.

___The NoteBook

Filed: Other Country: Nigeria
Timeline

U have to wait by getting all at hand cos any company you're applying to need your documents ( SSN stating that u can work & other requested at the time ). Background check takes weeks or so & drug text. Once u pass all, the particular company will then contact u & all these always carry out by the interest of any company willing to hire. Good luck.

Month/Day/Year

12/05/2013 - I-130 Sent

12/09/2013 - Priority Date

02/09/2014 - RFE

03/02/2014 - Response to RFE

03/05/2014 - Received RFE

03/11/2014 - NOA2 - Approved

03/28/2014 - NVC Received my case

04/23/2014 - Received Case No and IIN via mail

02/26/2015 - Received email to pay AOS

03/04/2015 - AOS Paid

03/06/2015 - DS261 submitted

03/13/2015 - Financial Documents and Civil documents sent to NVC

03/16/2015 - NVC Received

03/16/2015 - NVC Scan Date

03/19/2015 - NVC sent confirmation via email

03/20/2015 - Ds260 completed and submitted :)

04/13/2015 - AOS Checklist :cry:

04/15/2015 - Response to Checklist

04/17/20015 - New Scan Date

05/15/2015 - Case complete confirmation via phone :)

05/21/2015 - Received case complete confirmation mail :dancing: :dancing::dancing:

Glory be to God in the Highest!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Probably lack of work authorisation.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I noticed that a lot of companies don't hire people on full positions with only work authorization. The like permanent resident or citizen because its more certain they stay. Not sure what kind of work you want to do but if you want to work don't be afraid to start a little lower and work your way up. Once you have a job its always easier to find another one.

A background check is pretty much making sure what is on your resume is what you did / can do. Didn't had to do anything for a temp agency but when i got a full time position they told me i had to do a background check and drug test but that was after i was offered the job.

Timeline

U have to wait by getting all at hand cos any company you're applying to need your documents ( SSN stating that u can work & other requested at the time ). Background check takes weeks or so & drug text. Once u pass all, the particular company will then contact u & all these always carry out by the interest of any company willing to hire. Good luck.

So, I can't really apply to jobs until I have the EAD in hand? I mean, I tell them I can't start for at least an other 2 months.. One job accepted to wait 'till I can start. The other one doesn't start until the end of the summer. I know I can't get hired until I have a work permit, I just wanted to go through everything beside getting hired before I get the work permit

Probably lack of work authorisation.

So, I can't apply to any jobs until I have my EAD card in hand?

I noticed that a lot of companies don't hire people on full positions with only work authorization. The like permanent resident or citizen because its more certain they stay. Not sure what kind of work you want to do but if you want to work don't be afraid to start a little lower and work your way up. Once you have a job its always easier to find another one.

A background check is pretty much making sure what is on your resume is what you did / can do. Didn't had to do anything for a temp agency but when i got a full time position they told me i had to do a background check and drug test but that was after i was offered the job.

Yes I noticed that too, but it's understandable, I look at all kinds of jobs to get some experience in the country too. I found a lot of call center jobs, etc... but all temp agencies pretty much need a background check. I don't have any criminal past or felonies at all (we had to prove it for the K1 visa too), I also don't do drugs. It's really the 'not able to do a background check' that has me worried. Do you think once I have my work permit they will be able to access it? I had to give all my infos in the DS260 or so I think

I'm going to be honest, if I had to take a job at McDonalds even before getting a better job to support my family I'd do it. Anything to get the ball rolling.

I am also looking at fast food jobs, McDonalds is really not picky and we make money, it's better than sitting at home :)

K1

AOS

ROC

N400

--/--/---- NOA1 Date

You and me.. everyday.

___The NoteBook

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You can certainly apply, but probably what happens is when they see you currently are not authorised to work they bin them.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

So, I can't really apply to jobs until I have the EAD in hand? I mean, I tell them I can't start for at least an other 2 months.. One job accepted to wait 'till I can start. The other one doesn't start until the end of the summer. I know I can't get hired until I have a work permit, I just wanted to go through everything beside getting hired before I get the work permit

So, I can't apply to any jobs until I have my EAD card in hand?

Yes I noticed that too, but it's understandable, I look at all kinds of jobs to get some experience in the country too. I found a lot of call center jobs, etc... but all temp agencies pretty much need a background check. I don't have any criminal past or felonies at all (we had to prove it for the K1 visa too), I also don't do drugs. It's really the 'not able to do a background check' that has me worried. Do you think once I have my work permit they will be able to access it? I had to give all my infos in the DS260 or so I think

I am also looking at fast food jobs, McDonalds is really not picky and we make money, it's better than sitting at home :)

Well it's nice to see people not afraid to do so :)

once you have your ead you can work pretty much anywhere you like and it seem your not afraid to work. Don't be afraid of the background check, mine took about a week and if they where missing something or had a question they contacted me. For example i didn't had a W4 from my temp agency but after they called me and i explained i just started a month ago and in was only a couple weeks they asked me to send the pay stubs instead.

Be honest in front and don't be afraid to ask questions. The company i work for now (and i wouldn't be surprised a lot more companies do the same) hired a company to do the background check and i wasn't first foreigner the worked with. They knew the difference between Europe and the US and even knew what diplomas where for what.

Timeline

Well it's nice to see people not afraid to do so :)

Thank you, I'm young and have no reason to sit and do nothing with my time :)

You can certainly apply, but probably what happens is when they see you currently are not authorised to work they bin them.

Thank you Boiler :)

once you have your ead you can work pretty much anywhere you like and it seem your not afraid to work. Don't be afraid of the background check, mine took about a week and if they where missing something or had a question they contacted me. For example i didn't had a W4 from my temp agency but after they called me and i explained i just started a month ago and in was only a couple weeks they asked me to send the pay stubs instead.

Be honest in front and don't be afraid to ask questions. The company i work for now (and i wouldn't be surprised a lot more companies do the same) hired a company to do the background check and i wasn't first foreigner the worked with. They knew the difference between Europe and the US and even knew what diplomas where for what.

Thank you ! :)

I will continue my search and also look for places that do not do background check :)

K1

AOS

ROC

N400

--/--/---- NOA1 Date

You and me.. everyday.

___The NoteBook

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.