AnaInAmerica

Using Money Transfers as Evidence

12 posts in this topic

Hello All! This is my first post. I'm female, preparing the documents to bring my Domincan Fiance here. I met him while I was working as a Peace Corps Volunteer. As the economy has grown worse there, he has struggled financially, and I have sent him money since returning to the States in August 2014. He has children, whom I love as my own, 2 of which will hopefully be coming as well. I have sent money out of love because it's impossible to sit in the comfortableness of American life and hear the struggle of the man you love on the line. But I am concerned about it appearing that he is just using me for the money. The DR is a high fraud country. Should I include the money transfer receipts?

Other evidence: a hefty call log since August, photos, Official Peace Corps paperwork placing us in the same community for over 2 years, 2 personal letters from friends on my side, copy of a letter I wrote him a year ago.

Thank you!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

A case could be made that you are supporting a family if you use the money transfers as evidence, two-edged sword.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

So long as you have a history of sending other types of gifts to him, such as teddy bears, fruit baskets, etc., gifts of monetary form seem more in line with your habits. However, if all you ever sent him was money, it could be construed as you simply financially supporting him.

That said, I sent my western union receipts, along with other online gift receipts I purchased for my wife and her family during special occasions like Mother's Day, Christmas and birthdays. For example, I sent my wife $150.00 for her birthday, and the Western Union transfer date reflected that, as did the online Teddy Bear order receipt.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

The DR is a high fraud country. Should I include the money transfer receipts?

No.....because.... it appearing that he is just using me for the money.

Other evidence: a hefty call log since August, photos, Official Peace Corps paperwork placing us in the same community for over 2 years, 2 personal letters from friends on my side, copy of a letter I wrote him a year ago.

Evidence for what? The meeting in person within the last two years? Yes that will be fine.

Evidence of a legitimate relationship, needed for the interview, will require more. Content is key.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi,

In my opinion (Personal opinion) I wouldn't show anything related to money in a high fraud country such as DR, I believe you have many other evidences and I assume everything will be okay. Try to walk on their shoes: They don't know you guys, they don't understand the hardships so I believe they would automatically assume he is using you for money.

Good luck.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Having a hard time seeing why this is an issue. I have known my Fiancee three years this July 4th. For at least the last two years I have been sending money for the same reason as AnaInAmerica. Hard to see her and her family struggle, living in a home that literally has a grass roof that leaks when it rains, as I sit in my home in Newport Beach, CA.

She has her regular bills that total about $200 per month and I add an extra $100 for pocket money. She could get work, but if you are familiar with the employment situation in The Philippines, it is typically contracted. You agree to a contract for a certain amount of time and if you break the contract, it goes on your employment record. Much like a 2 year or 4 year military commitment here in the US. We have planned marriage for a long time and making this commitment and breaking it was not something she was (or I) willing to do.

Like Mike-eeeh, I also send flowers, gifts and also packages by LBC Express on Christmas and during the year. In my application I sent copies of Moneygram reciepts, LBC invoices and also Island Rose reciepts.

Didnt think this was an issue, and in fact, thought it was a plus showing the validity of the relationship. Now you got me freaked out....

Timeline

Having a hard time seeing why this is an issue.

Pretend to be an outsider.

You.....the money sender.......as I sit in my home in Newport Beach, CA.

Them.....the money needer........ living in a home that literally has a grass roof that leaks when it rains,

So how does a stranger believe that they are not just in it for the money? That is what you need to prove to a total stranger, the Embassy CO.

I have known my Fiancee three years this July 4th.

Content is key.

Like Mike-eeeh, I also send flowers, gifts and also packages by LBC Express on Christmas and during the year.

Great

Didnt think this was an issue, and in fact, thought it was a plus showing the validity of the relationship. Now you got me freaked out....

Content of your evidence is key.

Thank you all for your thoughts. We have decided not to submit any money transfers at this time, with the I-129f application package. We can always include some of them later when we're working with the consulate. We don't want to raise any suspicions.

It is unfortunate that all our of relationship, in person, was living a normal life in the poor Dominican rural community, eating on his porch and working on community projects. Not buying teddy bears, dating, flowers, movies, and vacations. And since being physically separated, I have sent nothing but money because he doesn't need flowers or toys, he needs to get his truck fixed so he can work or his daughter needs books for school, or his mom an expensive medicine.

I'm with you on this one gtessier. You and me and our SO's get it. Its a shame that the generous act of taking care of the one you love instead of listening to them suffer could be misunderstood as fraud.

We initially considered this knowing that we're light on evidence on ongoing relationship. Something which I'm still concerned about. Aside from a couple of personal testimonies, the only evidence we really have is daily phone calls.

I am going to visit and collect information next week. I will be sure to save all my restaurant & hotel receipts, boarding passes etc. But it still won't be much.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I think that it would look like fraud if HE sent money to YOU... like he paid you to get into States.

But you have the opposite situation, also you are going to sign an affidavit for him which already implies some kind of your financial support (if I am not mistaken).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I got married once in Colombia.... when we went to the interview they asked my wife then..... the date of our marriage.... she blanked out.... could not answer.... it was painful for me.... now I understand why she forgot....none the less.... the consulate asked if I sent her money...and we had many receipts from western union.... when we showed them... there were no more question..... she was approved.... like they told you... it would be a problem if he sent you money.... it would look like he is paying you to bring him.... but be careful if he is using you....May God Bless you.

Timeline

I got married once in Colombia.... when we went to the interview they asked my wife then..... the date of our marriage.... she blanked out.... could not answer.... it was painful for me.... now I understand why she forgot....none the less.... the consulate asked if I sent her money...and we had many receipts from western union.... when we showed them... there were no more question..... she was approved.... like they told you... it would be a problem if he sent you money.... it would look like he is paying you to bring him.... but be careful if he is using you....May God Bless you.

Still......I wouldn't include money receipts as a proof of relationship. Just don't do it.

You should have plenty of other evidence of a legitimate relationship...and if not.....then maybe delay the interview and generate some.

Edited by baron555

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.