New User 1000

Refused at US Consulate in Montreal

357 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

That is just the biggest "We have the power bullying tactic I have ever seen". Today one of my hubby 'so friends warned me against contacting MTV. Told me that the perception is that it will make his file go right to the bottom of the pike because they resent our "audacity' to inquiry on our loved ones behalf. Unreal but they have EVERYONE including the lawyers running scared. Andy & Vandyhave you tried tracking your passport?? Loomis forgot to email one of my VJ friends the other day so go back to your Loomis account and check if you haven't already done so. I am not going to be intimidated into silence and give credence to bullying.

Yes we thought it was a scare tactic, and after talking to the lawyer we are so unsure.

You mentioned you were worried your police certificate would expire. My husband's expires Aug 22, so we are terrified they will request a new one if our visa isn't issued before then, and then our case will be back at the bottom of the pile.

It seems absolutely ridiculous - the interview date should be the point in time it needs to be up to date. Have you heard of other people who've had to send in an updated certificate because their's expired during AP?

Thanks

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

This is in our case and GO AHEAD TMRW MORNING and do the police certificate and mail it ASAP.

our case was reset to 8 weeks since the police certificates arrived. (June 18th...) & and I mailed them my passport on May 15th !!!

I was sure the 8 week count would be from when the passport arrived, but of course.... BIG NO.

you do need to cross the border with a valid one. so at this point I would advise you yo just go ahead and do it, it takes up to 10 days for the RCMP to mail it back to you and then Loomis...

good luck !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I would question whether its necessary to get an updated police background check if you have a valid Visa at the border? At the interview they go through and verify the validity of all your documents. If there is something out dated at that point you would have to submit it, but once they validate, say, your medical, if your case gets delayed, you shouldn't be subjected to another medical.

We have called the Border Control at the Peace bridge (our POE), several times about cats and cars and mattresses and they are very helpful. I would call them and ask if you have a valid visa do they still require a current police background check. I can't imagine them requiring it you have the Visa. It's not like they are adjudicating the visa.

Keep us posted!!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Im not sure this is true as we were asked to redo our medical exam ($300) as well as send in the new police certificates($75) by the consulate....they told us the exact dates when they expire and asked to redo it.

& the medical exams are valid for only 6 months (such is the money making industry behind the whole immigration ordeal...)

Timeline

If your police certificate or medical expires before they complete the review you must send them current ones. My friend on VJ Police certificate expired while she was in AP for a missing document. When they received they document they sent her a letter requesting a new Police Certificate. Kept her in AP until they received that. She was the Issued her visa on the day they started printing again in June. She now has 3months to do POE because her Medical will be expiring in October or thereabouts. There is another person who was in AP for over 4 months. They Issued his visa and gave him two days to do POE because his physical was due to expire. So if you think your stuff may expire get them updated. Everything has to be current at time of Issue. ONCE you are issued a 221g or you are placed on AP in some respects it's a fresh review so everything needs to be current.

Edited by CandAm

Timeline

That is so unfair and definitely a money grab. We didn't read anywhere that anything expiring during AP needs to be updated and resubmitted. This triggers another 8 week wait and potentially more things to expire. How absurd!

But the original question was at POE. So if you have the valid Visa, all your backup documentation which culminated in getting the visa also has to be current at POE??? Seems odd that they issue the visa with a six month window for POE.

All the more reason to actively pursue every avenue possible...

That is so unfair and definitely a money grab. We didn't read anywhere that anything expiring during AP needs to be updated and resubmitted. This triggers another 8 week wait and potentially more things to expire. How absurd!

But the original question was at POE. So if you have the valid Visa, all your backup documentation which culminated in getting the visa also has to be current at POE??? Seems odd that they issue the visa with a six month window for POE.

All the more reason to actively pursue every avenue possible...

The visa is usually issued with the six month window starting at the date of the medical. so, someone has the medical on January X, interview in February and approval/visa issued in March; visa expiry date is July X.

Edited by Boston~Montreal

Timeline

Small discovery today after calling both Loomis and the Toronto Consulate about why, after 5 days with ISSUED status, we still have no waybill, or info, on our visas?? We still don't have an explanation as to why there is a delay, but learned that:

1. The waybill number is NOT generated at the consulate. When Loomis in your delivery location (Markham) receives the passport from the consulate, they assign the waybill number.

2. The consulate explained that the status on the ais.usvisa-info.com will be updated with the waybill number. Our status currently says: "Check DS-260 Status".

3. As soon as the waybill is posted you can pick up the visas at your Loomis locaton.

Timeline

Really??? How hard is it to courier the passport??

Dear Applicant,
The document status information only appears once your personal documents have been returned by the Embassy or Consulate for shipment to your designated location.
We are not consular officers and as the time it takes to adjudicate an applicant's case is at the sole discretion of the consular section we cannot provide you any information regarding when your personal documents will be turned over to courier. The average wait time is 5-7 business days which does not include weekends or U.S. or national holidays. Please note that this is only an average and not a guarantee as all applications are unique.
We would advise you to keep checking your applicant summary page or use the CEAC Status Check webpage at https://ceac.state.gov/ceacstattracke/status.aspx to check the status of your application.
Please note: An Issued notification on the CEAC Status website does not indicate that the visa has been printed nor that the document has been turned over to the courier. It indicates only that the adjudication is complete and that final processing has begun. It may take several business days after the Issued status for the passport to be turned over to the courier.
Thank you,
The Contact Desk Support Team

Timeline

Really??? How hard is it to courier the passport??

Dear Applicant,

The document status information only appears once your personal documents have been returned by the Embassy or Consulate for shipment to your designated location.

We are not consular officers and as the time it takes to adjudicate an applicant's case is at the sole discretion of the consular section we cannot provide you any information regarding when your personal documents will be turned over to courier. The average wait time is 5-7 business days which does not include weekends or U.S. or national holidays. Please note that this is only an average and not a guarantee as all applications are unique.

We would advise you to keep checking your applicant summary page or use the CEAC Status Check webpage at https://ceac.state.gov/ceacstattracke/status.aspx to check the status of your application.

Please note: An Issued notification on the CEAC Status website does not indicate that the visa has been printed nor that the document has been turned over to the courier. It indicates only that the adjudication is complete and that final processing has begun. It may take several business days after the Issued status for the passport to be turned over to the courier.

Thank you,

The Contact Desk Support Team

It's unreal!! How can they justify their process??? Anyway hang in there. You are almost there... Hoping you get that email later today or by tomorrow.

Timeline

This is in our case and GO AHEAD TMRW MORNING and do the police certificate and mail it ASAP.

our case was reset to 8 weeks since the police certificates arrived. (June 18th...) & and I mailed them my passport on May 15th !!!

I was sure the 8 week count would be from when the passport arrived, but of course.... BIG NO.

you do need to cross the border with a valid one. so at this point I would advise you yo just go ahead and do it, it takes up to 10 days for the RCMP to mail it back to you and then Loomis...

good luck !

Just so I am clear, did you have an up-to-date police certificate at your interview, which then expired while you were in AP?

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I would question whether its necessary to get an updated police background check if you have a valid Visa at the border? At the interview they go through and verify the validity of all your documents. If there is something out dated at that point you would have to submit it, but once they validate, say, your medical, if your case gets delayed, you shouldn't be subjected to another medical.

We have called the Border Control at the Peace bridge (our POE), several times about cats and cars and mattresses and they are very helpful. I would call them and ask if you have a valid visa do they still require a current police background check. I can't imagine them requiring it you have the Visa. It's not like they are adjudicating the visa.

Keep us posted!!

Thanks for the advice! We'll definitely call ahead and ask the boarder if the certificate needs to be updated before crossing. We are worried it will expire while we are still in AP - husband's visa hasn't been issued yet.

Timeline

If your police certificate or medical expires before they complete the review you must send them current ones. My friend on VJ Police certificate expired while she was in AP for a missing document. When they received they document they sent her a letter requesting a new Police Certificate. Kept her in AP until they received that. She was the Issued her visa on the day they started printing again in June. She now has 3months to do POE because her Medical will be expiring in October or thereabouts. There is another person who was in AP for over 4 months. They Issued his visa and gave him two days to do POE because his physical was due to expire. So if you think your stuff may expire get them updated. Everything has to be current at time of Issue. ONCE you are issued a 221g or you are placed on AP in some respects it's a fresh review so everything needs to be current.

Thanks so much for sharing your insights. I wonder though if there may be a difference for people who were not required to send any documents (like us). For instance, maybe because all our documents were complete they were able to approve them or something at the time of the interview.

At any rate we decided to wait for them to request an updated certificate. Our lawyer advised not to send in an updated certificate unless they ask- we don't want to send in something that will complicate or delay our case.

Timeline

Thanks so much for sharing your insights. I wonder though if there may be a difference for people who were not required to send any documents (like us). For instance, maybe because all our documents were complete they were able to approve them or something at the time of the interview.

At any rate we decided to wait for them to request an updated certificate. Our lawyer advised not to send in an updated certificate unless they ask- we don't want to send in something that will complicate or delay our case.

devealton are you on AP or waiting like us on stuck on READY?? If yes to either do you know why?? How long have you been waiting?? ago I wouldn't send in anything but I would suggest you get it if it gets close to the expiration date. One of the persons I referenced was not missing anything at interview and was approved..... but then came the AP for months and had to provide updated Medical before the VISA was Issued..based on what I have seen since I have joined VJ it really doesn't matter what was when you interviewed they need current stuff prior to issue if you have been stuck in AP for reasons unknown or if you were issued a 221g . However follow your lawyers guidance. They should know the process ..

Timeline
Hi! Hi!!

I just contacted DOS/ NVC to question about my case, I spoke to two gentlemen, both very nice in two different departments, they both said that Montreal is the one holding the case on AP. they don't have access to any other information because it's entirely up to the consulate to give an answer.

God!!!! I want to scream!!!!!!! if there was a machine to measure frustration levels, I'm sure I will make it explode right now. I know we all are on the same page.

I want to thanks all of you for being there and read, and comment and give support. My life has become an automatic machine on checking CEAC 1000 times a day. I really wish and pray for this process to finish soon. you guys are the only therapy I have and I want you to know that I really appreciate it! (Sometimes I don't tell my husband how bad I feel because I don't want him to be sad and there's nothing he can do anyways)

Let's see when MTL will answer. good thing they don't have to process visitors visas. or we'll be here forever. I Will like to know how they work or what they do during 8 hours of work. it's inexplicable!....

Happy week and good news to all!!

Timeline

I seriously think they set the boundaries of response and that is it. We just got back a second form letter with the exact garbage verbiage we got before. 5-7 days to process once issued. So when they receive a document it's an automatic 8 weeks before they look at it. Once it's issued, 5-7 days. So maddening that they give you the email address to contact after 5 days then get a reply that they have nothing to do with it.

I went to the Montreal US Consulate Facebook page and what bunch of useless garbage. They only post positive experiences and happy news because anyone posting anything negative is banned and the posts removed. What a waste of tax payers dollars!

Hang in there!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.