New User 1000

Refused at US Consulate in Montreal

357 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Ready means that your file was transferred for consular review, so it basically moved to a pile on someone else's desk...

at least its a sign that something is moving.

our file shifted to Ready on June 28th, after we sent new documents on June 18th, and Im still waiting here, crashing in friends apartment with my 3yo daughter. aint easy but hoping for some prospects as we're at week 5 out of the 8 processing weeks they suggest it would take.

we were also told to not contact them anymore and wait...

if any one has any updates, please do share !

We have been on READY since 6/2.. We actually spent a shorter time in AP. We were on AP from 5/5 to 6/2 Then READY. I remember feeling so excited thinking ISSUED would withing hours or at least a couple days... How naive I was.. We have been on READY for 50 days!!! We are in week 8 so here's hoping for good news too.

Edited by CandAm

Timeline

We have been on READY since 6/2.. We actually spent a shorter time in AP. We were on AP from 5/5 to 6/2 Then READY. I remember feeling so excited thinking ISSUED would withing hours or at least a couple days... How naive I was.. We have been on READY for 50 days!!! We are in week 8 so here's hoping for good news too.

Me too CandAM! I was like wow mine changed from AP to ready in like 3 days since 6/4. I was like WOW this is fast and I am in my 7th week (almost hitting that 8th week). I am not even sure if I will get something by 8th week. I have been living without my other half in an empty house on air mattress which isn't going to last long since my lease is done in July so I have to find a home for August. Worse is about to come for me. This is sad but Seeing Andy get it, maybe its a hope for all of us.

Timeline

Me too CandAM! I was like wow mine changed from AP to ready in like 3 days since 6/4. I was like WOW this is fast and I am in my 7th week (almost hitting that 8th week). I am not even sure if I will get something by 8th week. I have been living without my other half in an empty house on air mattress which isn't going to last long since my lease is done in July so I have to find a home for August. Worse is about to come for me. This is sad but Seeing Andy get it, maybe its a hope for all of us.

"New User 1000" hang in there. I am going to remember you in my prayers that before your lease expires in July you will have ISSUED and air bill on the way to collect your visa.This part of the journey has been my biggest nightmare. At least during the NVC portion you could call and while it took forever to get through at least you got someone live on the phone who could at least interact or answer in a civil manner. MTL has been a NIGHTMARE!! Anyway you know the darkest hour is just before dawn so stay encouraged. You get that ISSUED SOON.

Timeline

Hi CandAM

Thank you! It's definitely been difficult and no words to describe. You are so right that they treat us so inhumanely by not even being available on the phone and those ridiculous standard response to emails. I really do hope we both get our visas soon. So many other embassies around the world are available on the phone to give you a status of the application. It's unfair to see a May applicant being stranded out like this while June/July are getting instantly. Secondly, the officer should be more honest at the interview of how long it will take. It gives people false hope. As much as they say, don't make any plans, it's just not possible. We can't wait to get the visa and then plan to move, sell the house, get a job, etc. If life was only that simple. We can only pray and hope. Thank you once again.

Timeline

Hi CandAM, New User 1000, Idy Fdez , are you in Montreal?

please keep us posted of any updates on your end, crossing fingers for all of us !

My hubby is stuck in Toronto.. I am in the US.. Haven't seen him in 16 months!! Will keep you posted.. as the drama continues..

Timeline

please keep us posted of any updates on your end, crossing fingers for all of us !

Hi!!

husband in Montreal waiting, I'm in Miami.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Wow, and I thought we had it harsh. I'm not sure we could stand being separated for so long so my hats off to you for being grace under pressure!!

I'm not really sure what it was that stirred them to action and issued our visa? I hope this can give you some hope or ideas, but I personally could not stand by doing nothing, and as our situation grew more and more desperate, I figured we had less and less to lose.

Ultimately the turning of our fate seemed two fold. First, to build up the humanitarian side of the argument. We're homeless, our grade 6 son is registered for school in Fort Lauderdale, and we included wedding invitations and even the menu for our July 19th (now missed) wedding. I emphasized that we had to travel together as a family and the strong bond I developed with my step son after he lost his father at age 5.

Then I kept sending them financial information proving we had far more than the minimum sponsorship amount. I sent them Florida insurance binders for our cars and my job offer in the US. Then another, a signed original.

When they told me to stop bothering them, I sent another email to the Supervisor. I also had my US manager email them my official start date in the US was June 15th and that I was needed in the US ASAP. (My fiance, son and I are all in Toronto still).

At the same time I contacted my Congresswoman in Florida; Lois Frankel and Senator Marco Rubio. Both had me sign privacy waivers then agreed to pursue our case. I must say that Frankel's office was the best. When the standard Consulate form letter with "extensive administrative processing" was sent to them, I supplied them with the simple Job offer letter that was all that they required. And how the 8 weeks adjudication process should be from May 11th not June 5th.

Surprisingly, both offices resent emails to the Consulate requesting the visas be expedited. This made me nervous that we would be black listed and sent to the bottom of the pile.

The final thing I kept bringing to their attention was tax non-compliance. As I officially transferred to the US on June 15th, both me an my company are in tax non-compliance as a US Citizen and employee working in Canada.

The other thing I attempted was to contact the White House. I submitted a request and got a standard reply, but no follow up.

So it's a fine line whether to just quietly wait it out checking your status 50 times a day, or trying to build a real case of humanitarian hardship, and/or financial hardship. The congressional investigations that are opened on your behalf do have an impact. Frankel's office made contact with the Consulate on July 21st. The same day our status changed to READY then ISSUED. I doubt it was just a coincidence. If nothing else, it shows the Consulate that the government is supposed to work for the people and not the other way around.

I know you're all at wits end waiting and waiting. My thoughts are with you, and know how hard it is. We sent dozens of guests to Florida for our wedding we couldn't attend. I've never been more embarrassed in my life! And now three of us and a cat are crammed in a hotel trying to make the best of our days but constantly churning if this is the day we hear something.

And after all of this, we have 90 days to get married, and start again with the AOS Status Change.. I'm praying that goes more smoothly!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

A final thought I had was this treatment of Canadians seems truly unnecessary. There should be a separate process for Canadians. We all understand concerns for safety and limiting entry from certain countries, but a natural born Canadian with no police record, educated, professional, plenty of assets shouldn't have to go through as much scrutiny. The irony of preventing immigrating Canadians from abusing the social services in the US is absurd when there are far greater social services available in Canada.

I wonder if all the US citizens trying to get their spouses or fiances through the Montreal Consulate were to contact their Congressmen and Senators, if someone would wake up and make some changes so others don't have to suffer. Worth a shot!

Timeline

Stellabasset,Idy Fdez and New User 1000 and anyone else caught in "The Nightmare on MTL Street!!, And so another week draws to a close with nothing new but lets try to Stay encouraged. I could seriously just SCREAM!! I just also had a sick thought that my hubby's Canadian Police cert may expire before they complete their "review" Today is the 8 week mark.since they received the documents they requested. :( I am really heartbroken but holding on to my faith so as not to get beyond discouraged. Thinking and praying for you all. Have a good weekend or at least try to. Hoping for GREAT news for us all next week.

Timeline

Stellabasset,Idy Fdez and New User 1000 and anyone else caught in "The Nightmare on MTL Street!!, And so another week draws to a close with nothing new but lets try to Stay encouraged. I could seriously just SCREAM!! I just also had a sick thought that my hubby's Canadian Police cert may expire before they complete their "review" Today is the 8 week mark.since they received the documents they requested. :( I am really heartbroken but holding on to my faith so as not to get beyond discouraged. Thinking and praying for you all. Have a good weekend or at least try to. Hoping for GREAT news for us all next week.

Hi CandAm!!

I've been thinking exactly the same since this morning!! and I'm screaming already my friend!!

I was reading other posts, there's one under Waiting for our passport from Montreal and go to the last pages (It's a very long post, more than 90 pages) there's more cases under the same situation, I'm copying this from one of those cases that wrote to the consulate and this was the answer today:

Good morning,

Thank you for your email!

Please note that your file is with the consular officer for review. We are experiencing a huge backlog due to worldwide technical problems with visa issuance in the past couple of weeks. Please note that consular officers are working to adjudicate cases in the order they were received. We will gladly notify you should further information be required on your behalf.

We apologize for the inconvenience!

Waiting for our passports from Montreal

Edited by Idy Fdez

Timeline

are you sure this was from today? its the exact email I got during the famous database-glitch during June !

\

Yes its from today. I have also been reading that Forum... What can I say I have lost all confidence in MTL... We received that same email weeks ago as did our Congressman. He was also told they can take up to 8 weeks... so it's 8 weeks now for Heaven's sake. I just do not get it. Actually I do ,they have nothing to lose. No one get reprimanded or terminated because they work at the pace of snails or give rude curt responses!! o

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.