Jump to content

Step-father through common law marriage in Canada

7 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I want to bring my mom and stepdad here. They were together for 21 years before they got married. So they were considered common law in Canada. They finally got married last year when I was 27, can I still sponsor my stepdad?


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Your stepdad is not your biological father so you CAN'T bring him.. other circumstances when you can bring a "family" member with not blood relation is in adoption circumstances.

You can bring your mom then she can file for her husband but you can't


CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017


Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


ditto, they had to be married before you were 18

you can file for your mom, and when she comes, she can file for your stepdad

but you can't, they cannot come at the same time

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


You can only petition for mom. After she gets her green card, she can file for her husband. It will take 2-3 years. She can get a Re-entry Permit that allows her to be out of the US for up to two years without abandoning her green card. With the Re-Entry permit, only her time outside the US is cnot could ted again st her. She still must maintain her ties to the US. Google "maintaining legal permanent residency."

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.