jennaleigh

Just starting out...how important is proof of wedding plans?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi, I'm sorry that my profile is so blank, and that I don't have a timeline yet. I just joined this forum and am planning to send the petition for my fiance in June. We are a same sex couple, I'm 23, she's 26 and lives in Canada, and we met on the internet in August 2013. Things turned romantic in May 2014, and I finally visited her for a month in April 2015. (Just to give some background information.) We didn't refer to each other as girlfriends until we actually met, but we knew we would be together once we did, and we've known since August that we'd end up moving in together. My visit only solidified all these feelings. It was during our visit that we decided she'd be the one to come to the US instead of me to Canada, and that we wanted to get married. I have read a ton of information, still have a ton of questions of course and thought I would start with these two.

1.) Do we have a greater chance of getting our petition denied because we've only been together in person for a month? And that while we knew we had feelings for each other since May 2014, we waited until we could be together in person for the first time to refer to each other as our significant other. Again, we've known each other since August 2013, and we have a ton of proof of our relationship: texts, pictures, Instagram posts, Tumblr posts, facebook messages, skype chat logs, Facetime logs, cards and letters we sent each other, my boarding passes, etc. I'm just worried that despite this, they will think we moved "too fast" for it to be legitimate.

2.) Something I'm really worried about is proof of wedding plans. We don't have a lot of money (I do know about the income requirements and we'll be okay there), plus it's near impossible to plan a wedding when you're unsure when one of the brides will be approved to move to the states. We just want to get married at a courthouse until we can save money for a nice reception. So, while there's a lot of proof of us being together, there's no engagement announcements, wedding plans, etc. If we each write a letter of intent, and have proof of texts/cards mentioning marriage, will this be enough? We both desperately want to marry each other, we just don't want to make a big deal out of it until she is settled here and we can afford a real wedding.

I hope I posted this in the right place. Thanks for any and all help! I am sure I will have PLENTY of more questions in the coming months, but I'll continue to do all the reading I can on this great forum first.

Jenna

I-129F Mailed: 11/16/2015

I-129F Received/NOA1: 11/18/2015

Check Cashed: 11/23/2015

Touched: 11/24/2015

NOA2 Email/Text: 01/04/2016

NOA2 Hard Copy: 01/08/2016

NVC Received Case: 01/13/2016

Received Case Number (FINALLY! Long story...): 03/07/2016

Sent Packet 3 Paperwork: 04/20/2016

Packet 4 Received: 04/20/2016

Medical: 06/09/2016

Interview: 06/29/2016 - Approved!!!

POE (Toronto): 08/03/2016

Married!!!: 08/26/2016

Timeline

Hi!

USCIS doesn't care if things seems to "go to fast" They want a proof that you have met in person within 2 years. Canada is really a low country fraud so they don't really scrutinize the relationship like they would do for other countries. When I had my interview done in Montreal for my K1, I had an album with pictures, cards etc. and the officer didnt even look at it. He barely asked questions. Just how we met (online) what was my fiance's job and a couple of questions regarding the wedding. Although we have a "reception wedding" plan, I didnt talked about it at the interview. I just told we were gonna get married at the courthouse as soon as possible (which we did 5 days after I came to the State)

Don't worry! The only thing you'll need is a lot of patience :)

Hi, I'm sorry that my profile is so blank, and that I don't have a timeline yet. I just joined this forum and am planning to send the petition for my fiance in June. We are a same sex couple, I'm 23, she's 26 and lives in Canada, and we met on the internet in August 2013. Things turned romantic in May 2014, and I finally visited her for a month in April 2015. (Just to give some background information.) We didn't refer to each other as girlfriends until we actually met, but we knew we would be together once we did, and we've known since August that we'd end up moving in together. My visit only solidified all these feelings. It was during our visit that we decided she'd be the one to come to the US instead of me to Canada, and that we wanted to get married. I have read a ton of information, still have a ton of questions of course and thought I would start with these two.

1.) Do we have a greater chance of getting our petition denied because we've only been together in person for a month? And that while we knew we had feelings for each other since May 2014, we waited until we could be together in person for the first time to refer to each other as our significant other. Again, we've known each other since August 2013, and we have a ton of proof of our relationship: texts, pictures, Instagram posts, Tumblr posts, facebook messages, skype chat logs, Facetime logs, cards and letters we sent each other, my boarding passes, etc. I'm just worried that despite this, they will think we moved "too fast" for it to be legitimate.

2.) Something I'm really worried about is proof of wedding plans. We don't have a lot of money (I do know about the income requirements and we'll be okay there), plus it's near impossible to plan a wedding when you're unsure when one of the brides will be approved to move to the states. We just want to get married at a courthouse until we can save money for a nice reception. So, while there's a lot of proof of us being together, there's no engagement announcements, wedding plans, etc. If we each write a letter of intent, and have proof of texts/cards mentioning marriage, will this be enough? We both desperately want to marry each other, we just don't want to make a big deal out of it until she is settled here and we can afford a real wedding.

I hope I posted this in the right place. Thanks for any and all help! I am sure I will have PLENTY of more questions in the coming months, but I'll continue to do all the reading I can on this great forum first.

Jenna

I can't really answer you fully on your first question, but I do not think that this should be an issue really. You've known each other for a while, and have visited. That satisfies the meet within 2 years requirement. If you have plenty of proof of a relationship and meeting then I don't think it will be a problem. We provided no chat logs, but we had plenty of documented evidence through passport stamps, passes/tickets, and photos over the years that corresponded with various receipts. Every relationship is different though. What they are looking for is if you are genuine and if you have actually met.

As for your second question, the government recommends that you not make wedding plans - simply because of any delay or denial impacting them you know? That's not to say you can't of course. We've set stuff up, bought the dress etc, but just not reserved the venue yet. Plenty of people do courthouse weddings and then have a reception later on, and that never is a problem either. That being said the proof of intent letters from both of you will satisfy that requirement. For us, we did provide things like an engagement ring receipt, an engagement party photo, and a few cards - but I don't feel that these contributed much to the approval. We just wanted to be overly thorough (and sooth a little bit of my paranoia :P ) The intent letters are the big main thing. Before I forget, I saw recently that a same sex couple was asked to mention (via RFE) which state they were to marry in for their intent letter - so you can be proactive and mention that.

Make sure your fiancé has a copy of everything just in case, but most stuff they probably will not need for the interview.

Edited by yuna628

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

No plans necessary. I felt the same way about my fiance when we met in person. If you have proof of meeting, meet the financial requirements and do the paperwork right, you should be fine.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I think "proof of wedding plans" are pretty much non-existent for most people. Simply because you won't be getting married until your finacee enters the country and of course you won't know when that will happen until after your visa is approved.

Documentary Proof of Having Met in Person in the Past Two Years and an Ongoing Relationship:

Use as many of these items are possible. There is no minimum, but the more you can provide the less likely you are that you will receive an RFE. Additionally, please note that providing proof of your ongoing and genuine relationship in this package may benefit you by allowing the consulate to have access to this information prior to them formally contacting the non US Citizen fiance. Many high risk consulates approach cases with a skeptical eye and providing this information early on in the original I-129F package will help them in their preliminary review of your case.

Copies of all airline boarding passes, train passes, itineraries, hotel receipts, passport stamps (make sure you can read the dates on the stamps), and other documentary evidence that you have met within the last two years. You may want to highlight or place post-it notes indicating the dates and locations on the copies (to make the adjudication easier) for the person reviewing your file.

Color Photo's of you and your fiance(e) together. Make sure you write your names, date, and location on the back of every photo. Provide two to five photo's. If you only have a single copy of the photo, then make a color copy and send that. If it is a digital photo, have it printed at a local photo store such as Walgreens (if at all possible) or if not on a high quality printer. Place photo's in a plastic bag or photo sheet and label the sheet. Note that you may not receive originals of photo's back.

The following items will not typically show proof of having met in the last two years however will show proof of an ongoing relationship: Copies of land line and cell phone bills, appropriate letters and emails, stamps on the letters (to document the date they were sent), and other written documentary proof. Provide a reasonable amount; two to four of each type. Pick a range of dates up to and including the present. You can also include a copy of engagement ring receipt (this is something that is a big optional - do not worry if you do not have a ring yet!)

SOURCE: K1-Guide here on VisaJourney:

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

Edited by Karmalious

PETITION I-130

1/2/2015 - Petition sent to Phoenix Lockbox

1/6/2015 - NOA #1 Receipt

7/1/2015 - NOA #2 Approved

7/10/2015 - Email from Nebraska stating sent the case to NVC

NVC

7/16/15 - Case Received by NVC

7/30/15 - Case number assigned

8/3/15 - DS-261 Agent available

8/4/15 - DS-261 Agent completed

8/4/15 - AOS fee available & paid

8/6/15 - Check cleared the bank & bar-code cover sheet now available

8/13/15 - AOS Packet & IV Packet sent to NVC by priority mail

8/15/15 - IV fee available & paid same day

8/17/15 - NVC received package

8/19/15 - Check cleared the bank & DS-260 available & DS-260 completed!!! ALSO, we received email notification from NVC that they received package on 8/17

- Case completed at NVC

- Case sent to Embassy on this date

EMBASSY

- Embassy received packet

- Wife received Packet 3/4 Instructions

- Medical appointment

- Interview

Point of Entry

- Enter Austin, Texas

Filed: Timeline

For my own opinion, just the fact that u saw each other once for the past two years is enough. Just tell your girlfriend to be ready to tell them when she gets the interview why u only saw each other for a short time. Just send tons of pictures, text messages, fb messages, Skyping screen shots, etc, etc, etc.

For your second question, I am not sure if I have missed it while reading but R u even officially engaged yet? You have to be officially engaged to be able to apply for k1. Make sure you send pictures to prove your engagement. and as far as the wedding, you can just have a small wedding but keep in mind it is within 90 days of her entering the U.S. the k1 does take a while but not too too long. So just think about when you want to get married so you can know when to apply. But you do have to get married after she gets her visa and moves here within 90 days

Hope this helps a little

For your second question, I am not sure if I have missed it while reading but R u even officially engaged yet? You have to be officially engaged to be able to apply for k1. Make sure you send pictures to prove your engagement.

When you do the original k1 application you both send letters stating your intention to get married to the other within 90 days of entering the US on the K1 visa. You are engaged as far as the Feds are concerned if you both sign those. They don't require evidence of a ring, or engagement party, or pictures.

Many couples (us included) chose to apply for the K1 as soon as we'd made a decision that we wanted to marry, but we had a more public engagement on a visit to Canada where I gave my fiancee an engagement ring, and we announced to our friends and family via phonecalls and facebook that we were engaged. This was after our K1 application had been made so no photos or evidence of it was included, and we had no problems (I have my interview in London tomorrow)

--- k1 visa ---
Texas Service Center (Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here)
I-129F sent: 12 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA1: 15 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA2: 2 Mar 2015 (199 days from NOA1) **No RFEs!**
NVC Received: 19 Mar 2015
Case#, IIN, BIN assigned: 19 Mar 2015
NVC Left: 20 Mar 2015
Consultate Received: 23 Mar 2015
Package 3 Received: 26 Mar 2015
Medical: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 3 Sent: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 4 Received: 23 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 8 May 2015 (Approved!!!)
Visa Issued: 14 May 2015
Visa in Hand: 19 May 2015
Entry to USA: 5 Jun 2015
Married: 21 Jun 2015

---Adjustment of Status---
Sent I-485, I-131 and I-765: 7 Jul 2015
NOA1 for I-485, I-131 and I-765: 14 Jul 2015
Email notification that I-765 was approved: 12 Sep 2015
Email notification that I-131 was approved: 15 Sep 2015
Email notification that EAD/AP combo card was mailed: 15 Sep 2015
EAD and AP combo card received: 18 Sep 2015
Green Card Received: 3 Dec 2015 [ :)] Previous letter stated interview requirement was likely to be waived

---Removal of Conditions---
Sent I-751: 13 Oct 2017
NOA1 for I-751: 23 Oct 2017

Biometrics: 20 Nov 2017
Approved: 20 Dec 2018

Green Card Received: 2 Jan 2019

-- Citizenship --
Filed Online: 21 Feb 2020
NOA1 (Online): 22 Feb 2020
Biometrics: 10 Mar 2020

Interview: 29 Jul 2020 (Approved - Oath taken immediately due to covid19)

Filed: Timeline

When you do the original k1 application you both send letters stating your intention to get married to the other within 90 days of entering the US on the K1 visa. You are engaged as far as the Feds are concerned if you both sign those. They don't require evidence of a ring, or engagement party, or pictures.

Many couples (us included) chose to apply for the K1 as soon as we'd made a decision that we wanted to marry, but we had a more public engagement on a visit to Canada where I gave my fiancee an engagement ring, and we announced to our friends and family via phonecalls and facebook that we were engaged. This was after our K1 application had been made so no photos or evidence of it was included, and we had no problems (I have my interview in London tomorrow)

I guess if you had no problems then it should be fine. But I have heard of people being asked in the interview when and how did you propose.

For my case, I sent engagement photos.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

While proof of wedding plans are not necessary, you should though have at least an idea of your wedding plans, like "How are you going to Marry? In a Church? Court House? Will there be a venue like a catered reception? Will you have bridesmaids and ushers? Etc...

Having an idea is useful in the interview as the CO may ask those questions to determine if your relationship is real, because let's face it, couples who want to get married, generally talk about how they want to get married.

Edited by Mike-eeh and Odie

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

1.) Do we have a greater chance of getting our petition denied because we've only been together in person for a month?

There is no minimum amount of time, only proving the legitimacy of the relationship.

2.) Something I'm really worried about is proof of wedding plans.

Not a requirement, just signed letters of intent from both.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

- No your petition wont get denied just for being together in person for a month. I got approved and I was with my husband for 3 weeks in person. All that they care about during the initial filing is that you met in person within 2 years of filing and that you are both free to marry, and you met this requirement.

- Don't be worried about it. They cant really expect us to have concrete wedding plans with the whole process is filled with uncertainty. Just have loads of evidence of photos, ticket stubs, maybe a little chat log just to show ongoing relationship, etc. My husband and I didn't even have a wedding date until a few days after I arrived here. Maybe letters from your family showing support in your relationship too if possible (not a requirement but would be nice to have).

Good luck in your visa journey!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

We had zero wedding plan (because we were planning a simple court marriage by

a Justice of Peace).

And they never asked us of wedding plan, though, she was prepared to tell them

that we are going to do simple court marriage, and a small casual family dinner.

10-04-2013 We met online
11-21-2013 We met in person in Shanghai for 2 weeks

12-13-2013 I-129F packet sent via express

12-19-2013 USCIS NOA #1 (text and email) received

12-24-2013 USCIS assigns Alien Registration Number
12-31-2013 USCIS NOA #1 hard copy received
06-02-2014 USCIS web site shows NOA #2 approval
06-06-2014 USCIS web site shows case sent to NVC

06-xx-2014 Fiancee acquired birth, marriage, and police certificates from local police station (wrong)

06-16-2014 NVC creates case with GUZ### number

06-19-2014 NVC sends case sent to Guangzhou, China
06-24-2014 Received packet 3 express mail from embassy
06-25-2014 Completed DS-160 and paid K1 visa fee

06-26-2014 Mailed packet 3 response back to Embassy

06-26-2014 Requested police certificate from Russian embassy

07-08-2014 Received packet 4 email from Embassy

07-17-2014 Picked up Russian police certificate

07-25-2014 Fiancee medical exam (received MMR & Varicella, but they missed required TD shot)

07-31-2014 Picked up medical exam reports

08-01-2014 Request (correct) birth, marriage, and police certificates from Notarial Service (GongZhengChu)

08-06-2014 Picked up birth, marriage, and police certificates from Notarial Service

08-14-2014 Passed Interview Guangzhou embassy

09-01-2014 Received passport, visa, & sealed envelope

09-13-2014 POE

09-17-2014 Went to CBP office to get (US entry) I-94 updated correctly

09-18-2014 Applied for Social Security Card
09-19-2014 Applied for Marriage License (via online)
09-25-2014 Received Social Security Card
09-30-2014 Picked up Marriage License
10-09-2014 Marriage by Justice of Peace
10-09-2014 Got Certified Marriage Certificate Copies
10-17-2014 Received a letter from SS office that they need the marriage license
10-09-2014 Applied to change the social security card name
10-24-2014 Went back to SS office to provide the marriage certificate documents again!!!
12-09-2014 Submitted AOS, EAD, and AP
12-16-2014 Received 16 emails and 16 text NOA messages
01-05-2015 Received Biometrics appointment letter for (01-12-2015)
01-12-2015 Had Biometrics (fingerprint & picture) - Required Marriage Certificate!!!
02-17-2015 EAD and AP is approved
02-23-2015 Received AP is approval letter
02-25-2015 Received EAD/AP combo card (expires 02/16/2016)
02-27-2015 Applied for SS card name change (they took her SS card)
02-27-2015 Driver's learner permit test was denied since the SS card was given to SS office for name change
03-17-2015 Received SS card with married name
03-17-2015 Started to change all her accounts to married name
03-23-2015 Received potential interview waiver letter
03-27-2015 DMV rejects learner's permit due to "legal status=pending" and vision test failure
04-05-2015 Vision test for learner's permit
04-06-2015 DPS sent us letter that DHS cleared my wife's status to acquire driver's license.
04-10-2015 Passed Driver Learner's Permit
04-22-2015 Received Driver Learner's Permit ID card (expires 02/16/2016)
08-27-2015 Green Card approved
08-31-2015 Received Green Card "Welcome Notice Was Mailed" letter
09-05-2015 Received Green card
10-26-2015 Passed Driver's License Road Test (on 3rd attempt)
11-03-2015 Received Driver's License (expires 02/16/2022)
11-06-2015 Applied to remove conditional work remark on SS card
11-23-2015 Received updated Social Security Card.
- - - - - - - - - - Pending Future Processing - - - - - - - - - -
05-27-2017 File 10 Year Green Card
08-27-2017 2 Year Green Card Expires
05-27-2018 File USC

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My wife from Philippines, and we were together only 14 days, and that was enough. But, our proof was great. (see guide section on top of Home page, click on K-1)

They are not interested in wedding plans, just signed letter of intent to marry within 90 days of entry. (for petition)

Timeline

Thank you all for your help! Everyone on this site is incredibly nice, helpful, and nonjudgemental. These replies really put my mind at ease. Thanks!

I-129F Mailed: 11/16/2015

I-129F Received/NOA1: 11/18/2015

Check Cashed: 11/23/2015

Touched: 11/24/2015

NOA2 Email/Text: 01/04/2016

NOA2 Hard Copy: 01/08/2016

NVC Received Case: 01/13/2016

Received Case Number (FINALLY! Long story...): 03/07/2016

Sent Packet 3 Paperwork: 04/20/2016

Packet 4 Received: 04/20/2016

Medical: 06/09/2016

Interview: 06/29/2016 - Approved!!!

POE (Toronto): 08/03/2016

Married!!!: 08/26/2016

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.